Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

grinding noise after plug in

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I have a servicing appointment here in Seattle to address this on 16 February. They had to order replacement parts from Fremont that took a liitle over a month to arrive. I sent them a video of the groaning noise last month, and they knew what to order based on the video I sent.

I'm really interested in what the normal noise on this should be. My car is a few weeks old and whenever I unlock the car or plug in, the louvres open and close. It's definitely not silent, but I'm not sure that it's a grinding per se.

From this thread, along with others, and a number of videos online, it seems like this is a normal operating noise and the line between normal and broken/bad lovure is very slim.

So yours is fixed now and it's completely silent? Even though it's a moving part are you saying that if I'm in my garage at night and it's silent and they open and close when I plug in, I should not hear anything?
My service center worked on mine a few weeks ago. They still make noise, but are definitely quieter than before. They still don't sound quite right, though. Hopefully they're 100% fixed.

My December 2016 S90D had the louver noise when starting up. The SC took care of it when I had other work done in early February and I haven't heard them make a sound since. I'll have to really pay attention to see if there's any noise these days.

So yours is fixed now and it's completely silent? Even though it's a moving part are you saying that if I'm in my garage at night and it's silent and they open and close when I plug in, I should not hear anything?

I have not taken it in to be fixed yet, so no, mine is still very loud.

Okay, not silent, it's a moving part and a solenoid moving it, but it should not make a loud sound at all. At least not loud enough that you feel something's broken...

My Service Center told me that the noise is normal. They said that sand & dirt gets in the louvers and causes the noise. They told me to be sure to spray the hose through that opening when washing the car to clean out the dirt that gets in there to prevent the noise from happening. I only every heard the noise when cold enough that the car was heating the HVB when plugging it in. I haven't heard it in months since the temperature started warming up.

My Service Center told me that the noise is normal. They said that sand & dirt gets in the louvers and causes the noise.

Your Service Center is mistaken, IMHO. My NEW car picked up year end '16 did it right off the car carrier, unless they're suggesting enough debris managed to lodge in there during the cross country trip. :rolleyes:

Funny how the noise is hardly noticeable now that it's warmer. Must have "cleaned" itself...