Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Grinding noise when accelerating

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I got my new Model S in December in Ohio so did not have an opportunity to accelerate for a week or so. As soon as I did I noticed a loud grinding. Took it in to the shop (Toledo) with less than 400 miles on the vehicle and they replaced to front shafts. This did not fix the problem and in fact now I have more issues. Took the car back in a week later and escalated the complaint to the regional manager. Upon further review they confirmed that there is an issue but they do not currently have a fix, the engineering team is on it - not happy to say the least. It is now 2 months later - I am stuck with a car that grinds every time I accelerate - even on chill mode. Regional manager (Cleveland) said I am stuck with it until they have a fix, but they have no idea when that will be. I have made no less than 25 calls to the dealership (Blue Ash - Cincinnati), engineering team and everyone else I can think of to try to get the vehicle replaced. No one will return my calls. If I had a way out from this purchase I would happily take it.

Thanks - since they claim to be working on a solution its a little muddy. Unfortunately sales says only service can call it a lemon, service says its technically not a lemon go through sales. No one else will answer my calls or email.

Thanks - since they claim to be working on a solution its a little muddy. Unfortunately sales says only service can call it a lemon, service says its technically not a lemon go through sales. No one else will answer my calls or email.
Here is how Tesla deals with your state's lemon law. You have to notify Tesla in writing and give then a chance to repair the problem Tesla doesn't detemine if it is a lemon, the laws of your state do. You will go thru arbitration, unless you opted out of arbitration. https://www.tesla.com/sites/default/files/blog_attachments/ownersrightsnotification.pdf

I got my new Model S in December in Ohio so did not have an opportunity to accelerate for a week or so. As soon as I did I noticed a loud grinding. Took it in to the shop (Toledo) with less than 400 miles on the vehicle and they replaced to front shafts. This did not fix the problem and in fact now I have more issues. Took the car back in a week later and escalated the complaint to the regional manager. Upon further review they confirmed that there is an issue but they do not currently have a fix, the engineering team is on it - not happy to say the least. It is now 2 months later - I am stuck with a car that grinds every time I accelerate - even on chill mode. Regional manager (Cleveland) said I am stuck with it until they have a fix, but they have no idea when that will be. I have made no less than 25 calls to the dealership (Blue Ash - Cincinnati), engineering team and everyone else I can think of to try to get the vehicle replaced. No one will return my calls. If I had a way out from this purchase I would happily take it.
I have had the same problem in my 2018 Model S 100D. I have had it to the Cincinnati Tesla Service Center three times without resolution. They just sent me a message that it was normal for my $110k car to grind with acceleration in a cold car!!! Very frustrating! There are lots of owner reports out there with similar complaints so I’m sure they are aware of the issue and just dont have a solution. I have a feeling we are stuck for now. These things typically don’t get resolved without a recall or class action lawsuit.

Remember to opt out of arbitration within 30 days of your car purchase, or you will be barred from participating in any class action lawsuits, and may affect some of your future options with regard to recourse. Read the contract to learn what to send and where to opt out of arbitration:

"You may opt out of arbitration within 30 days after signing this Agreement by sending a letter to: Tesla, Inc.; P.O. Box 15430; Fremont, CA
94539-7970, stating your name, Vehicle Identification Number, and intent to opt out of the arbitration provision. If you do not opt out, this
agreement to arbitrate overrides any different arbitration agreement between us, including any arbitration agreement in a lease or finance
contract."