Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Grinding sound and vibration from front wheel area.

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I have a 2015 P85D with stock 19 inch wheels and front brakes are good.

But I'm getting a low grinding/rubbing sound and a small vibration in the steering wheel that feels like it's coming from the front driver's side wheel area. It doesn't happen all the time but always at low speed

I've been feeling and hearing this for a little while now but today it sounded louder and felt stronger.

I'm going to make a service appointment now but wondering if anyone had any clues as to what it can be?

But I'm getting a low grinding/rubbing sound and a small vibration in the steering wheel that feels like it's coming from the front driver's side wheel area. It doesn't happen all the time but always at low speed

I've been feeling and hearing this for a little while now but today it sounded louder and felt stronger.

I'm going to make a service appointment now but wondering if anyone had any clues as to what it can be?

I have a similar rattling/vibration coming from the front suspension, but I only hear it and feel it on hard acceleration. I asked the SC about it and they mentioned it has to do with some linkages that wear out over time. I have a 2015 S 85D. I will have to get it fixed soon. I wonder if Tesla will help with the cost as it is a known issue. The SC tech seemed to know what it was right away. Was told it could be a $1,500 repair.

Could it be bad wheel bearings?

I have a similar rattling/vibration coming from the front suspension, but I only hear it and feel it on hard acceleration. I asked the SC about it and they mentioned it has to do with some linkages that wear out over time. I have a 2015 S 85D. I will have to get it fixed soon. I wonder if Tesla will help with the cost as it is a known issue. The SC tech seemed to know what it was right away. Was told it could be a $1,500 repair.
You need to read this thread Service Bulletin out on Hard Acceleration "Shudder"

I don't think what you're experiencing is the same as mine.

Hey did you find out what was making the grinding rubbing sound? I'm having the same issue. I was told if I wanted it to go away completely, I would have to change my brakes and rotors.

Hey did you find out what was making the grinding rubbing sound? I'm having the same issue. I was told if I wanted it to go away completely, I would have to change my brakes and rotors.

Yeah so when I took it in and went for a ride with one of the techs, I couldn't get the car to make the sound again. Weird. They did tell me they'd drive it again and then take a look. When they took a look, they said all they could find was a good amount of rock salt, which they cleared. I took the car home and then 24 hours later, the rear drive unit gave out! It's back at the dealer now awaiting another drive unit to arrive.