Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Groaning

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I was out this morning teaching my son driving and I noticed that there’s a groaning sound when the car stops and settles down.
I usually have music playing so I never noticed it before but I had music off this morning so my son could focus better on driving.
Groaning sounds like it’s coming from the springs or shocks/struts?

Just a momentary groan and gone.
Anyone else notice this?
I have 2020 (December 2019 build) P3D+.
Thanks.

Yep - had the same thing happen on my cross-country trip earlier this year. It started squeaking so badly that we thought the ball joint was going to seize and snap. Poked a small hole in the upper ball joint boot and shot it full of lithium grease a few times. That stopped the squeaking until we could get back home and make a service appointment.

Yep - had the same thing happen on my cross-country trip earlier this year. It started squeaking so badly that we thought the ball joint was going to seize and snap. Poked a small hole in the upper ball joint boot and shot it full of lithium grease a few times. That stopped the squeaking until we could get back home and make a service appointment.
The sound is not loud at all. Also it is present just for a split second as car is settling into neutral position from leaning forward due to braking.
Granted, it was fairly gentle braking as we were practicing in a parking lot.
I will have to do some more testing.
I only have 17k miles. Seems like people are reporting control arm issues at much higher mileage.

The sound is not loud at all. Also it is present just for a split second as car is settling into neutral position from leaning forward due to braking.
Granted, it was fairly gentle braking as we were practicing in a parking lot.
I will have to do some more testing.
I only have 17k miles. Seems like people are reporting control arm issues at much higher mileage.

In my case, I’d describe it as more of a creak than a groan. It started off only doing it occasionally when coming to a stop. It got worse over a couple thousand miles, eventually sounding like a worn out Crown Victoria, making noise almost continuously over even the smallest undulations and when turning the steering wheel. Keep an eye on it... no imminent risk of failure.