Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Ground Up Wrangler TJ EV

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

TheTalkingMule

Distributed Energy Enthusiast
Oct 20, 2012
Philadelphia, PA
I'm looking to have a 2WD Wrangler TJ built from a raw frame and tub with the rear drive and batteries of a wrecked Model S.

A few questions before I even try....

1) Recovered 5.2kWh modules seem readily available. I'm seeing them described as having individual liquid cooling at the module level. Would I need to have all modules hooked to an interconnected liquid cooling system or can they just be air cooled?

2) Recovered rear drive assemblies are also readily available or stripped down motor-only setups. The wheelbase of the S appears to be almost a match for the TJ. Could I simply have the entire rear drive assembly mounted to a TJ frame and work from there?

3) Wrangler TJs are pretty simple machines, and I'd like to keep it that way in the EV version. Is there a computing solution that would handle the charging, drivetrain, and maybe even keep the regen braking active?

Any help is greatly appreciated! Frankly, I don't see why more people aren't doing conversions and ground up builds like this. Seems utterly doable and not absurdly expensive.

EVWest has kits and does conversions. I'm gonna try to find someone good to do it on the East Coast. Any recommendations are also welcome.

Cheers!

A 2wd Jeep???!! :eek: It would be easier to just adapt an electric motor to the existing transmission/transfer case and keep 4wd. A lot less fabricating. You'll need to liquid cool the battery. Might contact these guys with a shop in NH Electrified Garage Tesla Service Center
Also

Reactions: TheTalkingMule