Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Group Buy for Power Trunk/Frunk Liftgate!

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Did same as not4antoher
View attachment 469514

Hope it doesn’t matter which way it’s facing.....ie hope it’s ‘unidirectional’. Your “This Side Up” sticker faces same way as mine but you mounted with wiring coming rearward out the back of the box.....my sticker is the same way as yours but mine has the wire coming out the front of the box. In my mind “This Side Facing Up” means just that,,,,with the sticker up and the black side mounting tape down. I saw no other “arrows” if you will giving direction to pointing one way or another. As far as box rotation.

Ski

Since I'm waiting for delivery, can you please answer the following for me:

The way the unit currently ships, one can open AND close the trunk from the touch screen, but the touchscreen does NOT show the trunk status as being open. Further, the trunk lights turn ON steady (non-flashing) when the trunk is open. One can also open AND close the trunk using the Tesla app. Does the app indicate that the trunk is open?

If one modifies the wiring harness and firmware as you posted a few days ago, my understanding is that the touchscreen will kinda show the trunk is open (the video shows the trunk oscillating between open and closed). However, it appears that the modification results in the trunk lights flashing ON and OFF instead of staying ON steady when the trunk is open. Also according to my understanding, the Tesla app will no longer close the trunk when this modification is made. Is my understanding correct? Also, will the Tesla app indicate that the trunk is open?

It seems both wiring schemes are somewhat of a compromise. I hope Hansshow can figure out a modification in which the touchscreen and the app can open AND close the trunk, correctly indicate the status of the trunk (ie, whether the trunk is open or closed), and where the lights stay on steady when the trunk is open,

Thanks for answering my questions.

So I'm in the middle of my install and some comments/observations/questions:
1) Stock struts have way more clearance from rubber strip than these ones do (see pics left pic is the new strut, right pick is the stock strut). I closely watch the rub as I closed the lid and it definitely pushes it out of the way but I guess it's supple enough material that it doesn't make a difference?
IMG_0777.jpg IMG_0778.jpg
2) I broke 50% of my green clips and broke a sweat taking them out of the trunk lid (good thing I bought extras). The center clip is the hardest to remove and the jerk I gave the panel must have snapped. BTW, this so far was my toughest step - broke a sweat prying those little bastards out
3) The delay for my install was the same green snake wire everyone was using vs using my snake wire coil (the thing w/ a handle). Ironically, that didn't have enough tensile strength to make it all the way through the "devil's run" as my snake wire coil. I added a little grease to the front of it and pushed and voila - 30 seconds
4) In all the videos it says cut the zip ties attached to the outside of the devil's run tubing and they say you can zip tie it back. I studied the casing and it appears to be just one time zip tie use (see pic). How did you guys zip tie the tubing back to the lid?
IMG_0780.jpg

Since I'm waiting for delivery, can you please answer the following for me:

The way the unit currently ships, one can open AND close the trunk from the touch screen, but the touchscreen does NOT show the trunk status as being open. Further, the trunk lights turn ON steady (non-flashing) when the trunk is open. One can also open AND close the trunk using the Tesla app. Does the app indicate that the trunk is open?

If one modifies the wiring harness and firmware as you posted a few days ago, my understanding is that the touchscreen will kinda show the trunk is open (the video shows the trunk oscillating between open and closed). However, it appears that the modification results in the trunk lights flashing ON and OFF instead of staying ON steady when the trunk is open. Also according to my understanding, the Tesla app will no longer close the trunk when this modification is made. Is my understanding correct? Also, will the Tesla app indicate that the trunk is open?

It seems both wiring schemes are somewhat of a compromise. I hope Hansshow can figure out a modification in which the touchscreen and the app can open AND close the trunk, correctly indicate the status of the trunk (ie, whether the trunk is open or closed), and where the lights stay on steady when the trunk is open,

Thanks for answering my questions.

-First part, yes your understanding is correct.
No the app doesn't indicate if the trunk is open.

- Second part, yes your understanding is correct.
Yes the app will also show the same glitch as the touchscreen (trunk oscillating between open and close).

- Third part, I hope so too ;)

Hope it doesn’t matter which way it’s facing.....ie hope it’s ‘unidirectional’. Your “This Side Up” sticker faces same way as mine but you mounted with wiring coming rearward out the back of the box.....my sticker is the same way as yours but mine has the wire coming out the front of the box. In my mind “This Side Facing Up” means just that,,,,with the sticker up and the black side mounting tape down. I saw no other “arrows” if you will giving direction to pointing one way or another. As far as box rotation.

Ski
i found that running my foot left then right then left again, it works about 80% of the time.

1) Stock struts have way more clearance from rubber strip than these ones do (see pics left pic is the new strut, right pick is the stock strut). I closely watch the rub as I closed the lid and it definitely pushes it out of the way but I guess it's supple enough material that it doesn't make a difference?
View attachment 469553 View attachment 469554
2) I broke 50% of my green clips and broke a sweat taking them out of the trunk lid (good thing I bought extras). The center clip is the hardest to remove and the jerk I gave the panel must have snapped. BTW, this so far was my toughest step - broke a sweat prying those little bastards out
3) The delay for my install was the same green snake wire everyone was using vs using my snake wire coil (the thing w/ a handle). Ironically, that didn't have enough tensile strength to make it all the way through the "devil's run" as my snake wire coil. I added a little grease to the front of it and pushed and voila - 30 seconds
4) In all the videos it says cut the zip ties attached to the outside of the devil's run tubing and they say you can zip tie it back. I studied the casing and it appears to be just one time zip tie use (see pic). How did you guys zip tie the tubing back to the lid?
View attachment 469555

i didn't cut the zip ties, just used a small flathead to release the lock (as you would with any ziptie)

Reactions: silentcorp
View attachment 469553 View attachment 469554
View attachment 469555
i pulled out whatever remnants of the zip tie was there and kept the clip in place so i was able to reuse that clip for the new zip tie.

Reactions: Garlan Garner
i have modified harness, and yes the lights flash on and off, but i am able to close the trunk via app,remote fob and screen...

That's good to hear. You updated both the wiring harness and the firmware as posted by @Marcuir ?

Does the touchscreen show the trunk status as being open or closed? Does the Tesla app show the trunk status as being open ior closed?

Thanks

Where did you buy green clips and what is the part number? Did you buy any white clips? If so, can you please indicate where you bought them and the part number. Thanks

i have modified harness, and yes the lights flash on and off, but i am able to close the trunk via app,remote fob and screen...

the app also flashes the trunk open/close so there is a visual of open trunk

OHH I didn't know that it was possible to close it from the app. Hansshow support told me that's not working, so I didn't try.

Thanks for the info !

both touchscreen and app show the trunk flashing open/close

Thanks for the info. The operation seems to be slightly different from the wiring harness modification sheet posted by @Marcuir , which states that the Tesla app will only open the trunk. Happy to hear that both the touchscreen and the Tesla app will both open AND close the trunk, and that both the touchscreen AND the Tesla app show the status of the trunk (eg, whether the trunk is open of closed).

the app also flashes the trunk open/close so there is a visual of open trunk

Just to confirm, you have the Hansshow trunk (liftgate) kit and you made the modification per @Marcuir to the Hansshow wiring harness and firmware, and after the modification both the touchscreen and the Tesla app operate to open AND close the trunk plus both the touchscreen AND the Tesla app shows the status of the trunk.

Sorry for asking again, but I want to confirm you have the Hansshow kit (and not the Tesla Offer kit) because I got some contradictory information.

Thanks

Just to confirm, you have the Hansshow trunk (liftgate) kit and you made the modification per @Marcuir to the Hansshow wiring harness and firmware, and after the modification both the touchscreen and the Tesla app operate to open AND close the trunk plus both the touchscreen AND the Tesla app shows the status of the trunk.

Sorry for asking again, but I want to confirm you have the Hansshow kit (and not the Tesla Offer kit) because I got some contradictory information.

Thanks
yes to all of the above

Just got some info from my Hansshaw kit installer, he was informed some of the kits shipped has a defective frunk strut. This issue is preventing the frunk from closing flush. They are working on the problem he said.

Last edited: