Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Group Buy for Power Trunk/Frunk Liftgate!

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Here's mine:
upload_2019-10-24_20-1-14.png

My Y-adapter is different than yours, take a look at it attached. There's no white cable in it (blue/red/blk) and yellow/red/blue to match the same color combo from the main wiring harness.
upload_2019-10-24_20-7-45.png

The white dangling wire there on the right is from the wiring harness.

According to these diagram, it appears the white wire from the connector (9) is connected to the main harness (5). It came separated/cut for me. That's why I had originally said I'm going to posi-lock it to the dangling white wire (which is connected to the main harness)

upload_2019-10-24_20-19-6.png

According to these diagram, it appears the white wire from the connector (9) is connected to the main harness (5). It came separated/cut for me. That's why I had originally said I'm going to posi-lock it to the dangling white wire (which is connected to the main harness)

View attachment 469738
I didn’t unbundle the other end to see which one it went to, or if it was the cut one. So i guess maybe cap it off and see if the system works as described. You could also WhatsApp message them. They are probably just getting into the office/shop right about now.

I had the same issue. Had a Hansshaw installer trying to install the frunk kit yesterday. They had two major issues. First issue was the latching of the frunk. After they got that addressed, then when they put everything back together, when the frunk closed, it sort of “taco’d” in the middle of the frunk. The middle was higher than the front and back of the body and it wasn’t flush. They removed the frunk kit, returned it to stock and frunk is flush again. Glad to hear that I wasn’t the only one with this issue.

So are you returning it or are they sendig you a new one.

i have modified harness, and yes the lights flash on and off, but i am able to close the trunk via app,remote fob and screen...

the app also flashes the trunk open/close so there is a visual of open trunk

I’m texting with Hansshow and they said they have a new light cable that fixes the flashing light issue when modifying the wire harness to allow the touchscreen and Tesla app to show the open/close state of the trunk. However I can’t get an answer to whether that cable is included in new shipments or whether they will provide instructions to modify existing light cables. I think it may be a language problem.

Last edited:
I had the same issue. Had a Hansshaw installer trying to install the frunk kit yesterday. They had two major issues. First issue was the latching of the frunk. After they got that addressed, then when they put everything back together, when the frunk closed, it sort of “taco’d” in the middle of the frunk. The middle was higher than the front and back of the body and it wasn’t flush. They removed the frunk kit, returned it to stock and frunk is flush again. Glad to hear that I wasn’t the only one with this issue.

Having this same issue. Talking to them through WhatsApp and sounds like it can only be solved through adjustments. Not sure what adjustments as I believe I went through them all but still waiting for more info.

Mine slams w/ stock stoppers. I'm going to try and adjust the strength.

So reverting to the OEM Springs over the grommets doesn’t help? Was going to try that today. Are you going with those or putting the rubber grommets back in? I was curious if the Spring/mini boot would interfere at all with the ‘soft-close’ or full seal when closed due to the extra length over the grommet seal.

Ski

Last edited:
Just got a message from hansshow regarding the modification of the trunk to display the correct status. They asked me to delete my post for the moment because they consider this solution not tested enough and they are still working on a better solution.

I’m not sure what is going on at Hansshow. I asked them about the light flashing issue with the wiring harness modification and firmware update you had posted and they responded that they have a new light cable to fix that issue. I then asked whether the new cable would be included with their new shipments or if they can email instructions how to modify the existing light cable. At that point a different person (I think) responded to me on WhatsApp and said they are not sure about the fix to show when the trunk is open. I indicated that someone in this thread ( @jebs2k ) said it works fine but for the light flashing issue. They responded it’s wrong, I asked what’s wrong but they stopped responding.

A concern I have with the existing design (where the touchscreen and Tesla app do NOT show when the trunk is open) is whether the alarm would activate if someone broke into the trunk. If the car thinks the trunk is always closed, it’s possible the alarm might not be triggered by a break-in. I haven’t tried it (still waiting for my kits) so I’m not sure whether the alarm gets triggered by the open/close status change or by the trunk lights turning ON.

I hope Hansshow provides a definitive answer as to whether the modification you posted actually works and how to fix the light flashing issue. If those 2 things are addressed, the product would be essentially perfect. Maybe @jebs2k can provide additional information with respect to the operation of the modification.

I am getting things ready for my install this weekend and I have a question. My kit came with only the white wire cut in the main harness that connects to the hub. I managed to push all the heads of the wiring out of the connector so I didnt have to cut the other wires. Once I put it through the tube with the fish wire, do I need to reconnect it to the same white wire in the connector? I am planning on using a posi-lock to reconnect the white wire.
15713515562881570377564092274520 2.jpg
20191025_090955.jpg

So I can't get the foot sensor to work for the life of me. Followed the wiring diagram. Been troublshooting with Hans himself but now it's pretty late and he's sleeping. He told me I absolutely needed to connect the white wire from the plug connector to the white wire coming form the harness. But now I'm wondering if my white wire is cut also, don't I need to reconnect it?

For those people that are installing the kick foot sensor, I suggest you view the following installation video starting at about the 52 minute mark:

The guy that made this video shows how to install the kick foot sensor without having to remove the bumper cover. Apparently there is a service panel that can be removed that gives one access to the bumper area. Since Tesla constantly changes things on their cars I’m not certain if every car has such a service panel, but if your car does, this greatly simplifies the installation of the kick foot sensor.

Reactions: yerEVan