Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Guessing at lead time for Model Y?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

mny122

Apr 12, 2020
Long story short I'm a longtime car-o-holic who is ready to join the cult after learning all about the Model Y and thinking it's the perfect family driver for me.

I'm somewhat at a loss as to what the lead time would be now - when I might expect my build to be ready after placing an order.

I realize this is largely unanswerable with covid19, however, I wondered if any had a sense for the backlog before the shutdown. For example, if one had ordered prior, was there a feel at the time as to how long the wait might be? That would at least help me back out timeframes with the variable of the timing of the factory restart.

I'm also considering waiting around for built models that become available, but don't have a handle on how big the backlog was on orders or whether that's a realistic strategy.

Thanks for any input on how things stood on the backlog prior.

We've heard there are still unclaimed performance trims with the performance upgrade package and black interior out there in certain colors. So if you are open to exterior color, and want those other specs, there is a decent chance you could call around and just pick one up. Any other spec there are still plenty of people waiting.

It's really hard to say as Tesla DO NOT really follow when you placed your order. I ordered my AWD+FSD (Black on Black) Feb 19th, 2020. For whatever reason Tesla hasn't deliver any Black Model Y, but there were so many of their test vehicles on the road prior to the start of delivery in mid-March. And I've also seen folks that ordered their Model Y 1st week of March that took delivery. So, it all depends on your configuration.......Most common colors delivered so far are Deep Blue, Midnight Silver, White and then followed by few Reds. Adding the Induction wheels to either one of Deep Blue or Midnight Silver also help you get yours sooner. Or just let your sale Advisor know that you're open to any color (if you don't care about exterior color).

I didn't get the 20" Induction wheels from Tesla because I want to buy a set of 20" Black wheels (aftermarket) for summer months and keep the Gemini wheels (included with car) for winter months.

mny122, this is a bit of a dilemma for me as well. At the moment I'm in AZ, but will be returning to Cape Cod sometime in the future(?). I'd like to pick up a MY sometime around November, get the bugs worked out, and attempt to drive the MY back and forth to the Cape instead of flying. Anyway, will continue to lurk here to see what others experiences are in regard the ordering wait-time issue.

Rich

mny122, this is a bit of a dilemma for me as well. At the moment I'm in AZ, but will be returning to Cape Cod sometime in the future(?). I'd like to pick up a MY sometime around November, get the bugs worked out, and attempt to drive the MY back and forth to the Cape instead of flying. Anyway, will continue to lurk here to see what others experiences are in regard the ordering wait-time issue.

Rich

Sounds like a good drive for it - good luck! With more reading I've come to understand there's just no way to answer it as ordering even during normal times is just a void of uncertainty as one of those Tesla modus operandi charms where you won't get any kind of tight/reliable estimates. I'd probably need/want the car by late summer or early fall but I may very well take the risk that new-built inventory becomes available by then, or live with a longer wait with a potential trade off of more manufacturing kinks being sorted in the meantime.

Reactions: beezy
Long story short I'm a longtime car-o-holic who is ready to join the cult after learning all about the Model Y and thinking it's the perfect family driver for me.

I'm somewhat at a loss as to what the lead time would be now - when I might expect my build to be ready after placing an order.

I realize this is largely unanswerable with covid19, however, I wondered if any had a sense for the backlog before the shutdown. For example, if one had ordered prior, was there a feel at the time as to how long the wait might be? That would at least help me back out timeframes with the variable of the timing of the factory restart.

I'm also considering waiting around for built models that become available, but don't have a handle on how big the backlog was on orders or whether that's a realistic strategy.

Thanks for any input on how things stood on the backlog prior.
Some are waiting a day, some one week, one month, and some have been waiting over a year. It depends on your location (Tesla likes to spread out the geographic location of its cars because it does not advertise), paint, tires, seats. Black seats with red paint and induction wheels or the Performance upgrade, you may get it tomorrow if you’re somewhere with extra cars.
That said, you can defer for up to a year if your car is ready sooner and you want to wait to take delivery.

• Informative
Reactions: KRG21
The variables are trim: the more profitable cars are going to be produced first; FSD, another high margin item; color, since colors are produced in batches to minimize changeover costs; statistical needs, meaning how close to quarter end and production numbers needed; delivery capabilities, what carriers are going where; and last and certainly least, when you ordered the vehicle. Somewhere in this equation the answer became “only Tesla logistics knows” and they aren’t saying.

A lease on one of my cars is ending next month and was looking at the MY - probably a long shot if I order now and be able to get it delivered next month? I may do it anyway and just try to handle 1 car situation for as long as possible - what's the "fastest" someone has received delivery who had ordered in the last month? Any tips on configurations to have the best chance of fastest delivery range? Location is Los Angeles. Can pay cash or finance.

A lease on one of my cars is ending next month and was looking at the MY - probably a long shot if I order now and be able to get it delivered next month? I may do it anyway and just try to handle 1 car situation for as long as possible - what's the "fastest" someone has received delivery who had ordered in the last month? Any tips on configurations to have the best chance of fastest delivery range? Location is Los Angeles. Can pay cash or finance.
I don't have a crystal ball but, from reading this forum, it seems like people ordering performance models with the optional wheel/suspension upgrades are getting priority. Some people are saying they are getting calls soon after ordering. Doesn't look like any with Black paint have been produced yet.

I can link you with my sales advisor who can likely get you a car within just a few days assuming you are somewhat flexible with color + trim. PM me your number if you'd like a text intro to him! He is based at the Century City Tesla.

You will need to order a performance with all the options including FSD. As for color-who knows what batch they will be producing when they reopen. As for reopening, I know they are planning on May 3, but Fremont is located near the border with Santa Clara, the county that Covid-19 struck the hardest in Northern California and the governor is making noises like he may extend the shelter-in-place order for an addition few weeks.

I ordered on Mar 19 and got it on April 9. Like everyone else said, call around a few Tesla locations and hit option 4. Give the delivery manager your RN and what options you are open to. I got immediately matched to an alternate color with PuP. I ended up not liking the trim with the stiff ride and returned the car and ordered another with just AWD now.

Edit : I do believe with the economic uncertainty a lot of folks are not taking the delivery. Even folks that are more comfortable money-wise that I spoke to are all working from home more or less and are deciding on if they even need a second car. I am sort of in this boat now.

• Informative
Reactions: beezy
Supposedly not until 2021.
My RN is for a 7 seat AWD White/Black interior. Even though I understand that they say they wont deliver until 2021, i am hopeful they will start production at some point this year. I am in the drafting contract phase and had a quote for pay off of my current trade but that quote is now older than 30 days and with the value of used cars tanking i doubt very much that quote will be valid once they are able to fulfill my RN. Hoping but not holding my breath for a QTR 2 delivery as a result of some of the factory optimization discussed on other posts.