TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker or making a Paypal contribution here: paypal.me/SupportTMC

Guy Imports Model S into Singapore, Takes 1 Year for Licensing, +$15K

Discussion in 'News' started by S'toon, Mar 4, 2016.

1. S'toon

S'toon Knows where his towel is

#1 S'toon, Mar 4, 2016
    Last edited: Mar 4, 2016
    Full article at:
    http://www.stuff.tv/sg/features/be-prepared-these-roadblocks-if-you-want-drive-tesla-in-singapore

Full article at:
    http://www.straitstimes.com/singapore/transport/electric-car-tesla-slapped-with-15000-tax-surcharge

2. AnOutsider

AnOutsider S532 # XS27

That's quite ridiculous. It doesn't immediately sound like there's an anti-Tesla bias, so perhaps just lazy workers who didn't want to bother? Then again, maybe Tesla left for a reason.

3. GoTslaGo

GoTslaGo Learning Member

"I don't get it, there are no emissions. Then they send out the results from VICOM, stating that the car was consuming 444 watt hour per kilometre. These are not specs that I have seen on Tesla's website, or anywhere else for that matter. And then underneath it, there's a conversion to CO2 emission," Nguyen says.

Wow! Where did they get those specs? Converted to WH/mile, that would be 710.4 WH/Mile.

(444wh/km x 1.6km/mile = 710.4 wh/mile). Please check my math! Did they test it on a racetrack? Maybe having too much fun...

I apologize, for reference:

http://www.teslamotorsclub.com/showthread.php/13310-Lifetime-Average-Wh-mi

Most of us are getting WAY LESS than 710.4 wh/mile in real world driving. Typically 300 wh/mile or so (higher with lead feet).

4. jkliu47

jkliu47 Member

5. mspohr

mspohr Active Member

Singapore Tesla get $15,000 tax surcharge... they just don't get it.

Looks like the bureaucrats in Singapore have taxed a Tesla owner for carbon pollution traced back to electricity generation.

Electric car Tesla slapped with $15,000 tax surcharge
    Electric car Tesla slapped with $15,000 tax surcharge, Transport News & Top Stories - The Straits Times

"Honestly, it's stupid," said the senior vice-president with an Internet research firm. "I went back to them (Land Transport Authority), and they cited a UN emission test regulation. They also factored in carbon emissions at the power station. We don't apply a carbon penalty to people charging their iPhones, do we?"

In response to queries, an LTA spokesman said: "Based on tests conducted under the UNECE R101 standards, the electric energy consumption of his imported used Tesla car was 444 watt-hour/km."

To "account for CO2 emissions during the electricity generation process", the spokesman said, "a grid emission factor of 0.5g/watt-hour was also applied to the electric energy consumption".

From this, it was determined that Mr Nguyen's Tesla produced 222g/km of CO2, putting it within the $15,000 surcharge band under Singapore's Carbon Emission- based Vehicle Scheme. The LTA applied this grid factor once previously to an electric Peugeot Ion (a subcompact hatchback), and it was granted a carbon rebate of $20,000.
    The BMW i3 electric hatchback and i8 plug-in hybrid both qualify for a $30,000 carbon rebate.

6. Jaff

Jaff Active Member

So, just like the policy wizards here in Ontario, a stinking hybrid is thought to be better for the environment than a BEV...where do they get these dimwits?

7. mspohr

mspohr Active Member

These dimwits are politicians who are bought and paid for by corporate sponsors. In this case, most likely the fossil fuel and ICE automotive industries.

8. Oil4AsphaultOnly

I read Mr. Nguyen's original letter to the LTA detailing his whole ordeal. It seems to be more of a case of mindless drones in the LTA rather than any nefarious shills. Musk also tweeted saying that he spoke with the Singapore PM and was promised an investigation: Elon Musk on Twitter:

Justice will be served, and I'm sure Mr. Nguyen will get his refund now that the travesty is out in the public.

9. mspohr

mspohr Active Member

Good to hear that Elon is on the case!

10. S'toon

This is the third thread on this story. Just sayin'.

11. mspohr

mspohr Active Member

Looks like the mods need to merge.

12. Jgint

Jgint Member

I would wait a year and pay 15k more for one. Worth it.

13. csassulthk

csassulthk Member

Yes, that is very good for Hong Kong to head for electric nation before Singapore!

14. GoTslaGo

GoTslaGo Learning Member

I was going to blast the bureaucrats in Singapore, when I remembered this thread...

Greenercars.org still hates Tesla

Seems they're not the only ones who can't figure out the Model S. Problem is it's too beautiful a car to be green. Green cars HAVE to be ugly.

15. Valdric Lim

Valdric Lim Member

Lol the mindless drones at our LTA is going to have a good time with the higher ups for causing Singapore such embarrassment.

I was the guy who tweeted to Musk about this, and the fact he actually replied to me was even more surprising. It shows he is also very concerned for such an issue.

16. GoTslaGo

GoTslaGo Learning Member

17. BorisS

BorisS New Member

315.jpg

Strangely, Boris, pictured here and formerly homeless on the mean streets of Singapore, has experienced no problems so far in acquiring his Model S. He just had to get a few vaccinations and emigrate to make it happen. Now he's just waiting for a future autopilot upgrade that will enable him to get behind the wheel. :smile:

First posting, and Boris's 90D should be arriving in 3-4 weeks. Both of us are really looking forward to it!

18. EMP40

EMP40 Member

So much for Free Trade

19. S'toon

20. GoTslaGo

GoTslaGo Learning Member

^^^
    Interesting article. If you read it, read the comments too.