Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Ha! Long range Rwd from Ventura to Big bear on one charge

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Yes, I also use the water to take showers and cook when I rent a place without telling the owner. If I damaged a circuit or blew a breaker I would notify the owner.
Well charging a car is a little different, although maybe it's not that much money extra?
The amount of energy that one can draw at 120V is pretty limited in comparison to the cost of a typical weekend cabin rental. Still, it might be best to let the owner know ahead of time that you would like to be able to charge your EV. This could get them thinking about taking steps to better accommodate EV-owning guests. Further, the owner could be encouraged to attempt to join Tesla's Destination Charging program and get a free Wall Connector. If there are Time Of Use electric rates in effect at the property, then the owner could encourage guests to charge primarily when rates are lowest (typically late at night).

Reactions: MikeR55
The amount of energy that one can draw at 120V is pretty limited in comparison to the cost of a typical weekend cabin rental. Still, it might be best to let the owner know ahead of time that you would like to be able to charge your EV. This could get them thinking about taking steps to better accommodate EV-owning guests. Further, the owner could be encouraged to attempt to join Tesla's Destination Charging program and get a free Wall Connector. If there are Time Of Use electric rates in effect at the property, then the owner could encourage guests to charge primarily when rates are lowest (typically late at night).
Normally I would say yes, let the owner know, but I have rented a lot of places, I am always respectful, and leave the places very clean, even when cleaning service is included. That being said, property managers start to squirm when you start asking a lot of questions, especially things like charging infrastructure, even more so if they don't understand it. I'd rather ask for forgiveness in this area than permission. Worst case is they tell me I can't charge my EV, if I was in Big Bear for more than a day or two I would need to charge my car at some point in order to take it up there.

Mike is a perfect example, he is even going above and beyond to put in EV charging infrastructure in his rentals. He questioned me plugging in even while fully understanding EV charging.

• Informative
Reactions: abasile