Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Had it with unfounded forward collision warnings; switched to Progressive

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Had Geico for years, then they jacked my rate for no reason. Switched to Tesla and was happy at first. But then my safety score started plummeting (due to driving slowly down a residential street and having parked cars trigger it all the time) and simultaneously they jacked their rates, resulting in nearly double the price. Not interested in that nonsense nanny monitoring. It costs me money and ruins my day every time that dumb thing goes off. Just switched to Progressive for much less (basically same as I'd pay Tesla with safety score around 98).

Last Fall, I switched from Tesla to Nationwide's Smartride program. They gave me a one year policy for less than Tesla with a 98 score. That price is the maximum I will pay for the year. My wife and I have to use their phone based monitoring app for 3 to 4 months. The app monitors miles driven, hard braking, fast acceleration and driving between midnight and 5 am. At the end of the monitoring period, you get a discount based on your driving history. Every week it tells you your trending discount. We have had the policy for a little over 3 months. During that time I had 2 instances of hard braking and 2 instances of fast acceleration, one of which was driving our Leaf. No late night driving as midnight is a lot more reasonable than Tesla's 10 pm. My trending discount is 26%. They can't raise my rates until the year is up. So far, so good.