Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Autosteer/TACC false forward collision warnings

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
At least twice now in the same location, while in Autosteer/TACC driving close to my house, my MS flashes a “Forward Collision Warning” with nobody around me at all.

It is right as I am approaching a small bridge. There is nothing that should be setting this thing off.

Aside from the hit to my safety score (despite it being in TACC at the time, it issued me the demerit), the actual safety issue is a vehicle flipping it’s *sugar* when there is absolutely no issue. If I had an insurance policy that cost me money every time the car malfunctions in this manner I would be particularly irate.

Here is a screen grab of the forward collision warning site.

B951C0DC-E258-4447-A062-8BEEBB750C94.jpeg

Reactions: studioloft
Every FCW I have ever been issued has been false. Several were as I slowly crept forward to be able to swipe my card to enter my workplace parking lot. And then there is this spot near the lake shown above near my home that sets it off. Not a single one has actually been in a situation with any risk.

I’m on 2022.12.1, I do have FSD but not beta, and was running in AS/TACC when the forward collision warning was thrown up. I have a MS 2022 refresh LR, so I assume radar is on unless Tesla has disabled it.

The blog said as of mid-February 2022, all North America S/X are radarless.

Radarless implementation could be blamed for worse than radar's False Slowdowns.

Radar does have False Slowdowns too but not anywhere near the amount of Radarless.

Yeah, I took delivery of my MS in mid Feb 2022. However, I can set follow distance to 1, which apparently means I was one of the last to have radar.

This wasn’t a slowdown though, just a false FCW.
The blog said as of mid-February 2022, all North America S/X are radarless.

Radarless implementation could be blamed for worse than radar's False Slowdowns.

Radar does have False Slowdowns too but not anywhere near the amount of Radarless.

At least twice now in the same location, while in Autosteer/TACC driving close to my house, my MS flashes a “Forward Collision Warning” with nobody around me at all.
It could be just an artifact of how you took the picture, but it looks as if there is a swath across the middle of the image that is fuzzy. Is the same fuzziness there when you look at the front camera image directly? Perhaps you could manually clean the windshield where the cameras are located and see if that helps?

You are writing about the old autopilot/TACC, not the FSD Beta version. This makes it not very interesting, as the old autopilot is going to be replaced. Tesla isn't exactly working on it with any intensity.

My guess is that the autopilot sees the obstacle straight ahead. It is not clever enough to see that the road bends to the left, so the obstacle is probably not hit. It only sees that, if you went straight, you would hit the obstacle.

These issues are pretty much isolated to Tesla. Whether driving on the AP, FSD, Beta FSD, AS/TACC, radar, radarless -- it shouldn't happen -- period. There is no fix until the programmers get it right, which knowing how Tesla programmers can't even get the infotainment working, will be a while.

Part of that is the compression artifact blur from a paused video image and part of it is because I took the digital photograph at that angle in order to lessen the screendoor/moiré effect of photographing a screen with a digital camera. Photographing a screen at an angle (or alternatively, using panoramic mode) is a trick to keep a photographed screen from looking funky.

• Informative
Reactions: RNHurt
You are writing about the old autopilot/TACC, not the FSD Beta version. This makes it not very interesting, as the old autopilot is going to be replaced. Tesla isn't exactly working on it with any intensity.

My guess is that the autopilot sees the obstacle straight ahead. It is not clever enough to see that the road bends to the left, so the obstacle is probably not hit. It only sees that, if you went straight, you would hit the obstacle.
This makes no sense. If that was the case, autopilot would be useless on the highway as it would brake at every curve when there's a car next to you

This makes no sense. If that was the case, autopilot would be useless on the highway as it would brake at every curve when there's a car next to you

It is a bizarre glitch as something is setting it off at that location with moderate consistency, although the times it has fired has only been with AP engaged so far. I’m basically just going to refrain from using AP in this location but it is an odd scenario.

I had the car "phantom brake" at the same intersection consistently. I noticed a phantom red traffic signal in the visualization that wasn't there. I kept trying to figure out where the traffic signal was coming from. The traffic signal for the street to the right at the intersection was turned so just a peek of red light was showing, and it was behind and to the right of the real traffic signal for my direction of travel. Only after I started through the intersection, it was represented as a full, three light traffic signal facing me, and the red light on top was illuminated when my direction of traffic was green. Programmers will need to figure out to disregard a red traffic signal within a certain distance of a green signal. Probably won't get fixed in my lifetime.

Last edited:
That is correct. Other factors could play a role.

I do see, however, that in the described cases there is indeed an obstacle. Why TACC does not brake every time, we don't seem to know yet.

In any case it seems that the new autopilot (FSD Beta) recognizes such scenes correctly, so discussing the old autopilot is of limited value.

My first thought that the blocky, vehicle sized object exactly in the direction of travel while the lane stripe diminishes in visibility as the road crests might just be a little factor. Maybe.

Were you able to report this to Tesla and get the FCW warnings removed from safety score? Facing the same issue here , false FCW warnings at the same spot twice in 2 days now, obviously have the video evidence to back this up, just dont know how to report this.

Were you able to report this to Tesla and get the FCW warnings removed from safety score? Facing the same issue here , false FCW warnings at the same spot twice in 2 days now, obviously have the video evidence to back this up, just dont know how to report this.
hi have you or anyone else here tried reaching out to Tesla about this? just got my 3rd or 4th false fcw today. fsd beta 2022.44.25.5 but was in manual control. also have Tesla insurance. score went from 99 to 97 last couple months seems mostly for disengaging fsd when it makes mistakes (hard braking, aggressive turning) and 3 false collision warnings.