Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Had M3 for 1 week, did first Wash & Wax today and noticed some issues...

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Ive had my Black M3 for exactly a week today and I love it. I decided since it was nice out to give it and wash and wax. While doing so, I noticed on the hood there are a couple of "white" spots (specs) like missed paint or may rocks flying up? There is a few of them so Id be surprised if it were rocks since I dont drive close to anyone. This is my first new car so I am not an expert at this stuff. I tried to take a few pictures but it was tough to see. You can see it when you are standing close but when you step back a few feet you cant. Should I contact Tesla? Should I just put some touchup paint on there? Its only on the hood it seems, rest of the car looks perfect. I understand the front of the car will probably see some issues with nothing to protect it...I was just hoping it would be longer than a week.

otaRvGd.jpg

Last edited:
I picked up my new 3, two days ago. And I don't plan to drive it till Friday next week for exactly this reason. I'm super anal about paint damage, so I'm waiting till my PPF appointment before I use the car.

If you have a detailer, they can fill in the chips and buff it, will be good as new again. I've never been able to repair chips myself. It always looks like ass.

Those are very common when driving a car even for just a week. The PPF wrap is really the only thing that will prevent this from happening. We have had cars come in our shop for Paint Protection Film with barely any miles on them that have already gotten chipped. You would be shocked at how little it takes.

The choice (in ascending cost) is to try having Tesla pay for touch-up - unlikely, but worth a try. Or do it yourself with touch-up paint. Or have your own shop or roving body-artist do it. Or spend big money on having the car detailed, corrected, and cocooned in plastic. You know, like those plastic couch covers your grandparents might have had, and probably carried to the grave. I'd start on the left ;-)

Hi all, I just picked up my car a few days ago and noticed a few spots in the paint on the face of the rear trunk lid that look like dust in the paint or what we used to call “Fish Eyes” in the old days. Anyone else have this problem?
Thanks, Dave

@davecal There have been some reported paint imperfections. You know, when I look at the build and software issues they had a year ago, they've come a long long way. That said, you are bravely buying a car - a car, that inevitable "investment" we are forced to make to survive in the absence of usable public transport - from a young and insanely quickly growing company, with a brilliant but capricious CEO. There are going to be issues, hopefully minor ones at this point. I'm not a fanboy, but since my car looks OK and runs well, I'm not going to worry about tiny cosmetic details in its finish. Now, if you paid for one of the blingy paint options, you might raise it with them. Otherwise, I'd chill. In a month the car will look funkier anyway.