Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Had to order new tires sooner than I wanted...

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I realized as I left work one day last week that I had a tire that was low (TPMS don't read until you start moving) so I stopped at the gas station half a mile away and bumped the pressure back to normal with my tire pump. There was no obvious source of the leak so I proceeded home where it is easier to work. I removed the wheel when I got home and discovered a nail at the inside edge of the tread. I always keep a plug kit and tools to remove foreign object in the car along with a tire pump. It would be a pain in the butt to do this on the road side depending on where in the tread the foreign object was, but acceptable in an emergency, I am just glad I was able to do it at home instead. I went ahead and put a plug in the tire, but since the hole was very near the sidewall, and the tires only have another 5,000 miles of use on them I went ahead and ordered some new tires. They get delivered tomorrow, and I will get them mounted my next day off (this Friday). I went with a 235/55/18 Michelin Primacy MXM4. Same tire they use as OEM equipment on the model 3, but with a taller sidewall and HL load rated for use on the MYP. I am expecting a bump in efficiency compared to the 245/55/18 Continental contisport 3 summer only high performance tires I am replacing. Also, the speedometer will go back to being 2 mph faster than real speed as measured by GPS since these tires are the same diameter as the 245/45/19's that are factory spec for the Model Y. Since they are a different size than the stock Model 3 tires (they are OE for a Volvo, not sure what model) I am not sure if they have the accoustic foam inserts... guess I will find out when I get home from work tomorrow :)

Later,

Keith

I'm running them on aftermarket wheels 8.5x19 et35 on my performance

way nicer/comfortable and indeed about 5-10% more efficient over the stock 21" Uberturbines with 255/35 and 275/35's

btw the oem sizes on model y are not 245 wide. only 255 on the 19 and 20 inch and staggered setup 21" 255/275

IMG_1585.jpeg

IMG_1588.jpeg

Not a fan of the MXM4s. Got them on my M3 when I bought it new and they only lasted about 18,000 miles. Supposed to be good to 55,000 (the concern is they weren't really designed for heavier EV use so they wear out quicker). Also, the foam interior means you can't use any emergency leak fixers like Green Slime and I don't think the foam makes any difference in sound attenuation.

At least you should be able to get warranty service on them since you didn't get them OEM. Michelin does not honor any warranty for the MXM4s that are delivered OEM.

At least you should be able to get warranty service on them since you didn't get them OEM. Michelin does not honor any warranty for the MXM4s that are delivered OEM.

Wow, that is strange! I remember the first new car I purchased coming with all the crap in the glove box, including all the information on the tire warranty. I never tried to use it, but it was there. Does Michelin give any explanation of why they don't honor their warranty?

Keith

I'm running now 235/50R19's and the speedo is 100% accurate 100 on the dash is 100 gps

I suspect you are in Canada or Europe based on running 100, at least I hope that is KPH :D Anyway, I wonder if the cars sold in metric markets don't have a built in offset on the speedometer? I also wonder if when running stock diameter tires in the US if I switch over to metric will the speedometer match the GPS? Now I am really curious, I will give this a try after I swap the wheels!

Just for giggles, you could switch to imperial units and see of the speedometer still matches GPS in your car if you want.

Later,

Keith

I suspect you are in Canada or Europe based on running 100, at least I hope that is KPH :D Anyway, I wonder if the cars sold in metric markets don't have a built in offset on the speedometer? I also wonder if when running stock diameter tires in the US if I switch over to metric will the speedometer match the GPS? Now I am really curious, I will give this a try after I swap the wheels!

Just for giggles, you could switch to imperial units and see of the speedometer still matches GPS in your car if you want.

Later,

Keith
Indeed Europe, the Netherlands
yes they do as well have a offset in the speedo. But I'm not on the oem size so that's why 235/50r19 matches gps to speedo perfect. oem size is 255/45r19 and that over reports the speedo by about 1,5%

Indeed Europe, the Netherlands
yes they do as well have a offset in the speedo. But I'm not on the oem size so that's why 235/50r19 matches gps to speedo perfect. oem size is 255/45r19 and that over reports the speedo by about 1,5%
255/45/19 vs 235/50/19 should be about 5mm difference in diameter for 0.77% difference in the speedometer (around 1 kph at 100 khp) but some brands are less consistent on measurements, so perhaps yours are a bit more than 5mm larger diameter?

Later,

Keith

I went with a 235/55/18 Michelin Primacy MXM4. Same tire they use as OEM equipment on the model 3, but with a taller sidewall and HL load rated for use on the MYP.
Those tires on the Model 3 have the worst wear rate in history of all season tires. Most Model 3 with those tires do no last more than 20,000 miles. They wear out like summer tires even when they are all season. I think I got 30,000 out of them but I drove really slow compared to other Tesla drivers. I switched to Continental and got much more miles out of them.

>> I went with a 235/55/18 Michelin Primacy MXM4.
>> Same tire they use as OEM equipment on the model 3,
>> but with a taller sidewall and HL load rated for use on the MYP.
>>
Those tires on the Model 3 have the worst wear rate in history of all season tires.
Most Model 3 with those tires do no last more than 20,000 miles.
They wear out like summer tires even when they are all season.
I think I got 30,000 out of them but I drove really slow compared to other Tesla drivers.
I switched to Continental and got much more miles out of them.

What about the Michelin CrossClimate2 ?

Not a fan of the MXM4s. Got them on my M3 when I bought it new and they only lasted about 18,000 miles. Supposed to be good to 55,000 (the concern is they weren't really designed for heavier EV use so they wear out quicker). Also, the foam interior means you can't use any emergency leak fixers like Green Slime and I don't think the foam makes any difference in sound attenuation.

Not my experience.

Received a new set of 21" Michelin OEM tires from Michelin for our '22 MS Plaid after inner sidewall delamination/tread separation on the rear tires.

Simply file a claim on their website and keep your old tires (if needed for warranty replacement).