Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Hailstorm

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
There are many different chemistries (alloys) and heat treatments of aluminum (and steel) and it is impossible to say that aluminum that is 1.4x the thickness of steel will be equal in dent resistance and have it apply to all types of aluminum and steel. Some alloys will be better and some will be worse. From what I have seen, the body panels on MS are significantly thicker than typical steel panels (if I have some time, maybe I'll measure them with an ultrasound) and appear to be significantly stiffer than typical steel panels.

Also, so, my wife got rear ended in our Land Rover (which has an all aluminum body) a few years ago by a Chevy pickup and all the Rover needed was a new bumper, where the pickup was severely destroyed, lost all it's fluids and was undriveable. You could see where the aluminum body panels had been bowed far enough to come debonded at a seam, but completely returned back to the original shape on its own. They just had to glue it back together. I am a big fan of aluminum body panels. I also happen to be a pilot and own a aircraft service center and have a lot of experience with aluminum structures.

Lastly, a paintless dent removal tech told me that aluminum panels on cars are much easier to fix than steel. Not necessarily the same on airplanes that have a much different alloy than cars use.

So alum Land Rover exhibiting zombie-like renewal capabilities, awesome.

MS alum skin most likely on the soft side of the temper scale. I'll scratch it with an awl if I can find its underside surface somewhere. Hope that scratch doesn't bleed thru to the surface. :eek:
--

Well, the insurance adjuster is here and examining the car. He is working up my husband's Infiniti now, he said it will def. take longer for my S and he is even going to contact the Tesla certified body shop here in St. Louis for advice first. Will edit with an update later....

eta:
ok - so my car is not as bad as hubby's in terms of damage - but the estimate still came out to $6,0xx for mostly paintless dent removal. With the exception of the panels surrounding the pano roof which will be replaced (and apparently the pano roof has to be removed for that). and 8 working days.... which means an ICE rental :-(

Last edited:
Bluefuego,

Just be warned. I have an Audi S8 that was caught in a hailstorm a few years ago. I filed a claim, and now my otherwise perfect carfax says the car was in an accident. I have been trying to sell the car, and even though it never needed any paint, people are hesitant.