Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Hairline 2.5 inch separation in left front of glass after below freezing temperatures.

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Had temps below 20 degrees. Did nothing but run the heater while plugged in outside. Hairline fracture 2.5 inches in left front part of windshield in Mod X. Is this covered under warranty? Cannot get it fixed with glue as they say it is too long and cannot get vacuum on it.
If the crack originated on the inside (not able to feel it on the outside), Tesla will likely cover it. If it is chipped or otherwise appears to have come from the outside, odds are they will not cover it. Cost to replace is roughly $1,550. I have had one of each.

• Informative
Reactions: cobra
Also double check your car insurance, I was surprised to find that glass coverage was standard here with State Farm. Have not tried it with a Tesla though. Needed it once on a prior car.
It should be covered under your Comprehensive coverage, pretty standard. Comp claims generally will not affect the premium you pay, but you may lose any claim free discounts that apply. Even though the cost of an X windshield is very high (over $1500), it may not be worth it to file a claim, especially if you have never filed a claim for anything. Tesla covered my first windshield, but the second (within 30 days) I had to pay, and I did not seek insurance coverage. I still wonder if the first replacement was installed 100% properly. but I could not argue with their evidence.

If the crack originated on the inside (not able to feel it on the outside), Tesla will likely cover it. If it is chipped or otherwise appears to have come from the outside, odds are they will not cover it. Cost to replace is roughly $1,550. I have had one of each.
I am so concerned that the replacement will not be as good as factory installation....And the time probably is months.

I am so concerned that the replacement will not be as good as factory installation....And the time probably is months.
Actually, Tesla Service Center usually keeps them in stock, because they break a lot. They should be generally available. Both times for me, it was same day replacement at the SC. The tech at Safelite told me they have to get them from Tesla and send the vehicle over to Tesla for the camera alignment.

Tesla service should be faster

Had temps below 20 degrees. Did nothing but run the heater while plugged in outside. Hairline fracture 2.5 inches in left front part of windshield in Mod X. Is this covered under warranty? Cannot get it fixed with glue as they say it is too long and cannot get vacuum on it.
Mine cracked yesterday too even though it had warmed to around freezing. Lynnwood SC has them, quote was about $1650 but Progressive deductible is just $100 for this. It actually cracked in 2 places, the bottom corner, and separately but nearby, from a chip Novus had tried to fix.

Mine cracked yesterday too even though it had warmed to around freezing. Lynnwood SC has them, quote was about $1650 but Progressive deductible is just $100 for this. It actually cracked in 2 places, the bottom corner, and separately but nearby, from a chip Novus had tried to fix.
You should take it to Tesla, rather than involve your insurance co. They will quickly determine if a warranty repair applies. Even if it does not, you may just want to pay it yourself rather than lose any claim free discounts you may be getting. My tolerance for not filing an insurance claim is something north of $2,000.