Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Half shafts and wheel hubs replaced...now minor tire vibration. Alignment needed?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
A week before I had this done I had new tires and an alignment done by Tesla. Then I had them replace half shafts and 3 out of 4 wheel hubs under warranty. The infamous shudder is gone, but I feel like I can feel my tires rotating in my steering wheel. Like the ride is not as smooth as before. Car still drives straight as an arrow, but I wonder if this work couldn't throw my alignment off? Considering I just paid nearly $300 for an alignment, I want the car as smooth as possible. Or is there always a bit of road feel in the steering wheel w these cars? I've only owned this 2020 LRP for about a month. It's definitely more rowdy than my model 3.

A week before I had this done I had new tires and an alignment done by Tesla. Then I had them replace half shafts and 3 out of 4 wheel hubs under warranty. The infamous shudder is gone, but I feel like I can feel my tires rotating in my steering wheel. Like the ride is not as smooth as before. Car still drives straight as an arrow, but I wonder if this work couldn't throw my alignment off? Considering I just paid nearly $300 for an alignment, I want the car as smooth as possible. Or is there always a bit of road feel in the steering wheel w these cars? I've only owned this 2020 LRP for about a month. It's definitely more rowdy than my model 3.
Properly set up, the X should be completely smooth. Changing out the half shafts requires an alignment (or at least set up on an alignment rack). Something else is off. I assume the same wheels/tires were used? Might be worth checking the wheel balance. In any event, something is not right. Take it back and explain your concern. Maybe they inadvertently knocked off a wheel weight.

Properly set up, the X should be completely smooth. Changing out the half shafts requires an alignment (or at least set up on an alignment rack). Something else is off. I assume the same wheels/tires were used? Might be worth checking the wheel balance. In any event, something is not right. Take it back and explain your concern. Maybe they inadvertently knocked off a wheel weight.

Didn't think about wheel balance issue. I'm making an appointment thanks!

Saw that one of the front wheels had 2 weights missing, so I took it to Goodyear to check balance. It was off and they added the weight back but the issue persists so I'll let Tesla deal with it. Was worth the $14 to see if I could prevent having to visit the SC.

For what it's worth the tech, who's worked on my car before and really cares, said he doesn't feel anything different. I went ahead and still had them roadforce balance. Two of the wheels were off badly. Two also were pretty poor on the roadforce score, but that's a Goodyear manufacturing issue more than anything. So the car feels a bit smoother and my mind is at least at ease. Next set of tires won't be Goodyear.