Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Handicap non Tesla cars in handicap Tesla stalls

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
See non Tesla cars Parked in Tesla handicap spots no general parking sign

Are non Tesla cars allowed to park in these spots? Or are they like handicap parking in a private business?

Thing is it doesn’t have a Tesla sign for charging just has the handicap sign but there is a charger

As a person with a handicap plate, my impression is that a vehicle with appropriate handicap plates parked in a spot designated as handicap will never be ticketed or towed without there being extreme extenuating circumstances. For superchargers, parking rules are largely the desire of the local business, and it is the local business that would enforce those rules. If there is a location where this is a significant problem, it would be an issue best raised with the management of that business.

See non Tesla cars Parked in Tesla handicap spots no general parking sign

Are non Tesla cars allowed to park in these spots? Or are they like handicap parking in a private business?

Thing is it doesn’t have a Tesla sign for charging just has the handicap sign but there is a charger

I am virtually certain that someone with a valid disabled person placard can park anywhere there is a disabled person spot (obviously in addition to non disabled person spots).

In a recent thing stalls that are signed for dual use, charging and handicapped, means that they can be used for either independently. (It doesn't have to be a Handicapper driver charging.)

It is possible the rules could vary by state, but I think this is a reasonable interpretation. (And matches what Tesla normally signs them that says something like "Designed for disabled access; Use Last."

Last edited:
Reactions: theflyer
I am virtually certain that someone with a valid disabled person placard can park anywhere there is a disabled person spot (obviously in addition to non disabled person spots).
Yes. I think even if the handicapped spot was designated as EV only, if the vehicle had a handicapped placard/plate, I think it would be extremely unlikely for the vehicle to be ticketed or towed. Of course, when you get into these legal grey zones, lots of weirdness can happen jurisdiction by jurisdiction and situation by situation as @branden experienced.

Reactions: jjrandorin
In a recent thing stalls that are signed for dual use, charging and handicapped, means that they can be used for either independently. (It doesn't have to be a Handicapper driver charging.)

It is possible the rules could vary by state, but I think this is a reasonable interpretation. (And matches what Tesla normally signs them that says something like "Designed for disabled access; Use Last."
Like Branden, I too received a violation for charging in a spot marked as both handicapped an charging, in the city of Charlotte. There were two charging spots, one of which had a handicapped sign. The other stall was already in use. There were two other adjacent handicapped spots that were not in use.

I had been previously been told (in a different jurisdiction) that a dual marked spot should be interpreted as either handicapped or charging, but of course that was in a different jurisdiction.

I appealed my ticket and the fee was waived, but not with the explanation that the city of Charlotte gave, nor did my waiver come from the city, but from the private parking contractor that ran the garage. They did give me the one time waiver, but it was clear that that spot should be only be used by handicapped vehicles.

So I would be very cautious about these kinds of situations. Unless you see a sign that specifically clears up the potential ambiguity, I would avoid these spots like the plague. Hopefully some kind of standard will emerge that helps with these kinds of situations.

Staying inside the car while charging in this type of ambigious locaion,
and waiting for another spot to get free, can mitigate the risk of getting a ticket,
hopping that if an attendent walkk by, you will be able to explain the situation.
Sure, but in the case I described, it was a level 2 ChargePoint station. I could have been sitting in my car for hours!