Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Hankook new iON tire, an "EV" tire (not the same as Kinergy GT)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Installed yesterday on my 2017 RWD Model 3 18" Titan forged rims. So far 300 miles in, got some good numbers for efficiency. Don't mind the diamond sidewall.
Much quieter than the Michelin stocks. I was going for my 3rd set of tires. Figured I would try something different.

I watched the EE Youtube earlier. Will see how they do. Should be done in less than a year based on how we drive. I love being the guinea pig.

I looked into buying those instead of iON's. The are manufactured in China. The iON's are manufactured in Korea. So for what it's worth you can make your own determination.
Yes that is the trade off but specs and the few reviews out there seem positive. If anybody knows place in Toronto area that carry Hankook Ion stock please let me know. Seem to be pretty rare find here.

Yes that is the trade off but specs and the few reviews out there seem positive. If anybody knows place in Toronto area that carry Hankook Ion stock please let me know. Seem to be pretty rare find here.
Don't use cheap Chinese tires, there's not a single brand that's good as of today. Will probably change in the future.

A lot of them simply copy the thread design of other brands on the surface, without the correct engineering behind the rubber compounds. Most of them are absolutely terrible when it is wet and cold out. I bought a used car with Ling Long tires and they were borderline scary whenever it rained.

Wait, you got credits for the Michelins to put on Hankooks? didn't know that was a thing!

So you think this grips better in the corners than the PSAS4? Or they feel more stable, more crisp?

Thanks for the review!
I had bought and installed the Michelins from the same store, they measured the tread and they have a system which calculates the warranty miles / tread depth and that gave me about $450 credit, they sent the older tires back to Michelin.

• Helpful
Reactions: enemji and XPsionic
I had bought and installed the Michelins from the same store, they measured the tread and they have a system which calculates the warranty miles / tread depth and that gave me about $450 credit, they sent the older tires back to Michelin.
ah ok, I thought the credits from Michelin would only apply to buying another set of Michelins. This is useful to know. Which tire store did you use?

Some early results from my friend with the MX... Wh/mi dropped from an average of 439, to as low as 328, for the most recent 10 mile trip. It should be noted that today is warm and sunny, where-as most of those previous miles have been during winter.

1682042934252.png

I am hoping to get my Model S back tomorrow.

Reactions: XPsionic
Ok. You made me look :) and that is a good thing.

At first glance the tread looks like inspired by the Michelin Primacy Tour A/S.
All I find are paid reviews for this tire on youtube singing its praises.

I'm very skeptical about cheaper tires, a lot of them seem ok in the dry, then when it rains or snows you'll realize why they're so cheap. Without a full controlled test by Tyre Review or Tire rack, I'll continue to be skeptical.

Understood re: reviews - this one here was interesting to me and the comments from author in the YouTube comments thread. Interesting to learn about their new Cambodia factory and the state of art process used to make the Erange. After watching this it pushed me off the hump and decided to give it a try. I'm day 3 into these tires and no regrets. I wanted the Hankook Ion's originally but they were no where to be found + double the price and even more then the OEM Contis here (1010 tire quote).

Last edited:
Reactions: weini and XPsionic
All I find are paid reviews for this tire on youtube singing its praises.

I'm very skeptical about cheaper tires, a lot of them seem ok in the dry, then when it rains or snows you'll realize why they're so cheap. Without a full controlled test by Tyre Review or Tire rack, I'll continue to be skeptical.
Yup. For $50 or so I am not going to put my and others lives at stake. Have had enough hydroplaning scares back in the days.