Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Hankook new iON tire, an "EV" tire (not the same as Kinergy GT)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
What are your experiences then? I think you're the first one I have read to have them.

In the interest of full disclosure, the set was for our Genesis GV60 Performance.

The Hankooks are noticeably quieter and better-riding than the OEM Michelein Primacy AS tires. They also seem to be slightly more efficient. Handling is tough to judge because
A) It’s my wife’s car, and she’s not a fan of “spirited” cornering.
B) The Michelins weren’t great in that regard anyway.

That said, from what I can tell the Hankooks seem to handle better than the Michelins as well.

They’re nothing like the PS4S in handling or responsiveness, but to me seem better overall than the MXVM that’s been the OEM Model 3 tire.

HTH.

Reactions: enemji
In the interest of full disclosure, the set was for our Genesis GV60 Performance.

The Hankooks are noticeably quieter and better-riding than the OEM Michelein Primacy AS tires. They also seem to be slightly more efficient. Handling is tough to judge because
A) It’s my wife’s car, and she’s not a fan of “spirited” cornering.
B) The Michelins weren’t great in that regard anyway.

That said, from what I can tell the Hankooks seem to handle better than the Michelins as well.

They’re nothing like the PS4S in handling or responsiveness, but to me seem better overall than the MXVM that’s been the OEM Model 3 tire.

HTH.
Just to be clear, are you talking about the All season version of the iON here, or the summer version a few messages above yours that you replied to?

I have had the A/S iON's on my 2021 3 for about a month now. 235/45-18

Positives:
1. Ride is significantly more compliant and much less harsh
2. Efficiency compared to quite worn MXM4's seems consistent or slightly better. A bit hard to tell since I'm in full winter now.
3. Road noise is lower

Negatives:
1. They are less crisp on turn in.
2. Seem to be ok at best in wet and snow traction(for an all-season tire). I have had a noticeable understeer and slip compared to even the worn MXM4's and expected better with full tread. If you regularly get a lot of snow, you probably will want to run winter tires.

Overall I am happy with them. Saw that Goodyear is announcing new EV tires this week so when I am ready again for new tires in 2-3 years, I expect there to be many more options to consider.

A/S, as I mentioned in my post.

Sorry for any confusion.
Hmm, I thought you had gotten the summer versions as you said that you got them at DT even though they don't show up on the website (the AS is on the website not the summer so far).

The all seasons are as one expects, tuned for comfort and efficiency and not performance. I'm in SoCal and summers are OK, though the only 8/32" tread on the summers (like the OEM MXM4s) vs the 10 on the AS, and no mileage warranty, is dissuading.

I bet the Michelin Primacy AS on the Genesis is close to the MXM4, and I thought I saw a rumor that this is what is on the updated Model 3.

Reactions: XPsionic
Negatives:
2. Seem to be ok at best in wet and snow traction(for an all-season tire)
Ah, a bit disappointed to hear about the relative lack of wet traction. It's the bane of all high mileage, low resistance tires I guess. Seem to jive with other published tests in terms of wet braking vs something like PSAS4.

I'm in SoCal and summers are OK, though the only 8/32" tread on the summers (like the OEM MXM4s) vs the 10 on the AS, and no mileage warranty, is dissuading.
I still think the Summer version would be good for us. They must have better dry and wet grip, and even if they last half as long, it's like an extra $500 cost over 2-3 years... I'd take the extra grip, turn in response, and safety factor on dry and wet.

I have had the A/S iON's on my 2021 3 for about a month now. 235/45-18

Positives:
1. Ride is significantly more compliant and much less harsh
2. Efficiency compared to quite worn MXM4's seems consistent or slightly better. A bit hard to tell since I'm in full winter now.
3. Road noise is lower

Negatives:
2. Seem to be ok at best in wet and snow traction(for an all-season tire). I have had a noticeable understeer and slip compared to even the worn MXM4's and expected better with full tread. If you regularly get a lot of snow, you probably will want to run winter tires.

Overall I am happy with them. Saw that Goodyear is announcing new EV tires this week so when I am ready again for new tires in 2-3 years, I expect there to be many more options to consider.
Looking at these for my next set of tires once I wear the MXM4s down to 3/32 or so (currently at 5 and 6 /32 @ 20k miles). The pros outweigh the cons in my opinion since rain conditions are manageable and snowy conditions are non existent where I'm from. I also like the fact that the IONs are $50 to $100 cheaper per tire than the MXM4s and come with 10/32 instead of 8/32 tread from the factory.

Ah, a bit disappointed to hear about the relative lack of wet traction. It's the bane of all high mileage, low resistance tires I guess. Seem to jive with other published tests in terms of wet braking vs something like PSAS4.

I still think the Summer version would be good for us. They must have better dry and wet grip, and even if they last half as long, it's like an extra $500 cost over 2-3 years... I'd take the extra grip, turn in response, and safety factor on dry and wet.
Regarding handling wet conditions, I just drove my model Y Performance which has 19" wheels and Hankook ION EVO AS SUV tires..same as this thread just slightly different size. I drove from Los Angeles to Eureka. A big rainstorm hit while I was driving up from San Francisco all the way to Eureka. It was pouring. I was driving around 65-70MPH on the freeway and it was curvy up in Humbolt county. Car stuck to the road just fine in the rain storm.

So glad I did not do the trip in my 21" Uberturbice wheels with low profile tire. The Hankooks were a lot more comfy and indeed there is a nice decrease in the rumble from the road.

Reactions: jsight and XPsionic
@Discount Tire - When will you be getting the Summer Ion tires 235/45/18?

Thank you for the tag @enemji!

We have an internal part number for this tire, which is 149218, however we are waiting on landing pages. This tire should be live on our website within the next month.

I checked stock with Hankook in the interim and this tire is available to us for order, today. Your local store should be able to get a set going whenever you're ready. Hope you don't mind me sending you a follow up DM.

Last edited:
Thank you for the tag @enemji!

We have an internal part number for this tire, which is 149218, however we are waiting on landing pages. This tire should be live on our website within the next month.

I checked stock with Hankook in the interim and this tire is available to us for order. Your local store should be able to get a set going whenever you're ready. Hope you don't mind me sending you a follow up DM.
What is the pricing on these?

Looks like I'll be getting a set of the ION EVO's for my 2022 Model 3 RWD. 27,915 miles and I'm at 2.5/32" front, 4/32" rear. Just called America's Tire (the name Discount Tire goes by out here apparently) and they can get the all seasons in a day or so. Price has gone up....they will price match, so if anyone knows of any deals out there please let me know. Quote was $258/tire.....about $1300 all said and done with tax, etc.

Also what are the thoughts on all season vs waiting for the summer tires? I'm in San Jose, CA. We can get tons of rain in the winter, but ice isn't a concern, pretty dry most of the year.

Looks like I'll be getting a set of the ION EVO's for my 2022 Model 3 RWD. 27,915 miles and I'm at 2.5/32" front, 4/32" rear. Just called America's Tire (the name Discount Tire goes by out here apparently) and they can get the all seasons in a day or so. Price has gone up....they will price match, so if anyone knows of any deals out there please let me know. Quote was $258/tire.....about $1300 all said and done with tax, etc.

Also what are the thoughts on all season vs waiting for the summer tires? I'm in San Jose, CA. We can get tons of rain in the winter, but ice isn't a concern, pretty dry most of the year.
The summer tires have a lower tread and no treadwear warranty. They'll undoubably be a more precisely performing tire, as the all seasons are heavily targeted to quiet and comfort and efficiency.

Reactions: TexaCali
The Ventus isn’t the same tire as the ION EVO - Ventus is an older design, not optimized for EV and is definitely cheaper.

Hankook has many tires with the designation "Ventus", which means their performance line (like Michelin and "Pilot"). Tire names are annoyingly confusing, probably intentionally so.

The Hankook Ventus S1 AS (H125) specifically is a new 2022 release: Hankook Ventus S1 AS H125 Tire: rating, overview, videos, reviews, available sizes and specifications

In particular, if you look through the Hankook site there is a specific Tesla T0 version only for 235/45R18 in addition to the generic 235/45R18. The Tesla T0 size/model has only 8.5 initial tread vs 10 1/32", and has foam, unlike all the others. My guess is that it's better than Michelin MXMs in performance, with the same efficiency as no EPA ratings were altered.

And it's produced in USA and so is very likely cheaper to Tesla than the iON imported from Korea.