Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Hansshow New 2023 Model Y 9" HUD Instrument Cluster

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
All,
Has anybody purchased/installed Hansshow new 9" inch instrument cluster for the Model Y? Has OTA, vent diffuser, and other new features when compared to the previous 9" model. Interested in any feedback. Attached is a video released a couple of days ago.

Reactions: Killer Junior
All,
Has anybody purchased/installed Hansshow new 9" inch instrument cluster for the Model Y? Has OTA, vent diffuser, and other new features when compared to the previous 9" model. Interested in any feedback. Attached is a video released a couple of days ago.

Did it come with instructions on how to install the vent diffuser? Mine (over a year ago) came with a 3D printed plastic thing that looked like it was supposed to be for the vent, but it didn't have any instructions on where or how it was supposed to be installed.

Thanks,

Keith

Was looking into getting this, and have been doing a bit of research. For those who have this, I've seen a few people mention that when they aren't even in the car/using the car. (IE. they are inside the house, outside near the car or in the garage near their car... basically anywhere in proximity of the car) their phone will auto connect to the device when answering phone calls, when playing music, etc.

Has anybody come across this issue at all?

Keith,
Interested to know if this hud has some of the same issues as the older 9" hud.

What are those, out of interest?

I'm interested in this, although I think I'm going more towards the ultra mini display as I like its simplicity and OEM looking UI design, and have no desire for another onboard computer with its own navigation and other apps, nor do I want to be poking my arms around or through the steering wheel, but I wish it was a little bigger, so this is tempting in that regard.

Reactions: Pacernow
I just installed this in my '22 MYP w/ Intel Atom. I haven't taken it out for a test drive just yet but here are some initial impressions and install notes.

- Perfect dimensions; small enough that 95% of the screen is visible through the steering wheel but large enough to be legible and not appear out of place in the cabin. The 10.25" unit seemed a bit large for me.
- Display has nice black levels and matches brightness w/ the Tesla screen
- I wrestled with the MCU plug for hours and gave up after accidentally removing the powered speaker connector instead
- I noticed that my Intel Atom car had the blue AMD specific plug in the passenger side footwell area; surprisingly it works! Powers on the unit and data is fed into all the UI components when not in CarPlay mode
- No issues connecting my phone to the unit and the unit to the car
- I skipped the vent diffuser since I have my air flow set to direct air to the sides anyway
- My iPhone disconnects from the unit as soon as I close the car doors and step away (as I wanted it to); not experiencing any issue with this like mentioned in this thread and others

Will update this thread after some driving. :)

Update after some extended driving:

- Audio echo is present when making or accepting calls via CarPlay; I suspect this is due to the onboard mic in the unit which doesn't cancel incoming sound which lags behind by a few hundred ms. Also, the mic results in a low volume for the person on the other end of the call.
- Color temperature of the screen is not a great match to my particular Tesla screen. Very white (> 6500k) compared to the OEM display.
- Support is basically non-existent. I've reached out to Hansshow through WhatsApp and although they've read my messages I haven't received a single response.
- Capacitive touch response is very poor. The corners of the display require firm presses, and swiping from right edge to get menu for the Linux OS is laggy.
- Refresh rate is ~20-30Hz by my estimation. It makes for a laggy experience overall.
- Turn signal graphic is erratic. I think the lower refresh rate makes it jittery (sometimes only blinks for a single frame or two) and it is not in sync with the Tesla screen.

For the $400 I paid on Amazon, I gotta say I have mixed feelings. It's nice to have Waze projected right where a normal instrument cluster would be, but the experience is unrefined. This could be an incredible aftermarket addition to any Tesla, but Hansshow has some work to do. I'm debating whether I should uninstall and return it.

Reactions: NJ08809
I've had this newer model installed for more than a month and these are the issues i've run into so far and my general thoughts on the device:
  • Love the screen - when it works it is exactly what I was hoping it would be
  • Sadly, it doesn't always work...
  • The device will only connect to the car's bluetooth 1 out of 25 times and no amount of retry will fix it (sometimes restarting works...)
    • I've gone as far as to remove my phone from the car - but that doesn't seem to help either
  • The device doesn't always connect to Car Play when I get in the car, maybe 1 in 50 times it just won't have Car Play for the drive
  • The steering wheel control is inverse to what I would have expected in terms of mapping up/down to left/right (not a major complaint)
  • My phone is constantly connecting to the device via Car Play while I'm walking around the house - it has no concept of off
  • You can only have one theme on the device at a time and you have to connect to WiFi to download it and to it switch back
  • I was really happy that it displays an icon for AP/FSD - since it's not always easy to tell if the car is driving on the MY screen
    • That being said, it shows the same icon for ACC as well, so it can have false positives in terms of looking to see if the car is steering
  • You have to restart the device to switch between split screen and full screen Car Play (not a major complaint)
  • As the other review stated, the turn signal timing is just "off" - it works fine, but it's just dancing about like a drunk aunt at a wedding
With holiday discounts and codes I picked the device up for under $300, so I'm happy with it for what it is, but really hope they push some updates to fix the connection issues, which hinder and otherwise really good solution.

Reactions: NJ08809
Sounds like typical chinese way of doing it.

I have an android radio in my wifes car, no matter if i "turn it off" on the button, or if the car is off, and doors locked, the damn thing still wants to connect endlessly to my mobile phone, even if am inside of my house, and more than once i have been caught, answering a call, just to find, that the radio snuck onto my phone's bluetooth and the caller "talks" to my empty, locked car in the driveway.

Also in terms of support...Being a chinese product, you kind of expect them to not bother with updates at all, and "What you get in the box" both hardware and software wise, is what you get.

My Eonon, radio in my wifes car has never ever received even one update, i even asked eonon about it, and they more or less said "You get what you got when you bought it, if you want updates or bugfixes, you just buy the next interation of that radio.

This is not even limited to aftermarket radios.

I for a brief time owned a electric car from the brand MG (SAIC, Chinese car) and the sales brochure boasted "Infotainment can receive OTA updates"

The most important word here is "CAN"...That car has been on the market for over a year now, and is still to receive it's first actual update to the infortainment. (And there are plenty of things that actually needs fixing)

"We can" does not equate to "We will" when you are dealing with the Chinese.

Thanks for the reports!

Lousy support is a deal breaker for me.
Agreed. I was compiling a list of items for my incoming Model Y (just got a VIN this morning in fact) and was excited about an instrument cluster in a Model Y being as we're used to that in our Model S's. I'm no longer interested in this product based on the first hand accounts I'm reading here. Sounds like they'd have a hit if they'd invest just a little bit more R&D into it and support their customers after the sale.

I look at these and wonder…. What’s the point?

Installing a most likely (as expressed in above posts) low quality extra screen to do what? Car play?

The in built system is more than capable. No offense to anyone, just don’t understand what benefit you get from this.

Because Tesla will do whatever they can to cut costs. Also a hud requires a different windshield.
Why. It would require a new top to the IP but the windshield is just where it hits. I’ve seen them on many car and it’s fantastic. My friend Camaro SS has it and it shows nav data as well. Very handy. Even adjust angle to accommodate different driver height.

What are those, out of interest?

I'm interested in this, although I think I'm going more towards the ultra mini display as I like its simplicity and OEM looking UI design, and have no desire for another onboard computer with its own navigation and other apps, nor do I want to be poking my arms around or through the steering wheel, but I wish it was a little bigger, so this is tempting in that regard.

I'd caution anyone against Hansshow products. If you read the threads about their audio upgrade systems, and powered frunk kits, it can turn into a real nightmare, with essentially zero support. They don't stand behind their products like you might expect. The previous gen 10" was sufficiently lame, buggy, and no updates that numerous people just removed it and wrote it off. Tread carefully so you go in eyes open.

Not sure it's on your radar, but I installed a different display "TopFit" or whoever Chinese actually makes this:

Same caveats apply, although I can say that I've not had any trouble with mine, and we've been able to update the software to fix glitches after Tesla updates. It's a much, much simpler idea though, no Waze, no apps, no Android, no touch screen. But it does what I want, which is move speed, turn signals, gear, lights into my main view.

I've used this for about two years now, and I still really like it.

Reactions: JHCCAZ