Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Hansshow F9 9 inch display with camera and air vents

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
New Hansshow F9 9 inch dash display available with front camera with air vents which is a game changer for those wanting a larger display but didn't want to sacrifice air flow.

Hansshow F9 9 inch display with camera and air vents overview

Anyone buy this display and try it out yet?

Reactions: mbdionio
I just installed this in my Model 3 yesterday! Overall I think it works great, but it was a royal pain in the hind end to install. Neither the documentation from Hansshow, Hansshow’s own video, or third party videos did it any justice. Except the YouTube video by Frugal Tesla Guy — like me he has the Intel Atom infotainment processor and you really do have to contort yourself to reach the plugs. I was upside down in the passenger seat (seat all the way back, fully reclined) with my head in the footwell. There’s only room for one hand where two would be handy to release the clip so you can slide out the plug. BE PATIENT, and very careful not to damage the thin wires coming out of the plug. It’s up and running for me now and looks great, especially since I also installed a Hansshow yoke so the display is even easier to see.

It looks like a nice display. Air flows freely through it, the data shown is accurate, and I can utilize CarPlay if I want.

One question I have…I don’t know how or see any way to connect it to WiFi. On the settings page under WiFi it shows “tslink not connected” but no button to enabler it, enter an SSID/password, etc.

In a couple other discussions on this site folks have commented that Hansshow (and other third party sellers) include OTA as a marketing gimmick and never intend to offer updates. Maybe that’s true, but I was hoping to at least connect it. I tried connecting the screen to the car’s Bluetooth, thinking maybe it would piggyback off my home WiFi that way. I don’t see an SSID named “tslink” so I can’t connect it that way either.

Hansshow included a double-headed flash drive (USB-A on one end, USB-C on the other) so I suppose if they ever offer an update on the website, I can install it that way.

My F9 is the Linux version (the Android version is still showing a pre-order status).

IMG_4555.jpeg

I just installed this in my Model 3 yesterday! Overall I think it works great, but it was a royal pain in the hind end to install. Neither the documentation from Hansshow, Hansshow’s own video, or third party videos did it any justice. Except the YouTube video by Frugal Tesla Guy — like me he has the Intel Atom infotainment processor and you really do have to contort yourself to reach the plugs. I was upside down in the passenger seat (seat all the way back, fully reclined) with my head in the footwell. There’s only room for one hand where two would be handy to release the clip so you can slide out the plug. BE PATIENT, and very careful not to damage the thin wires coming out of the plug. It’s up and running for me now and looks great, especially since I also installed a Hansshow yoke so the display is even easier to see.

It looks like a nice display. Air flows freely through it, the data shown is accurate, and I can utilize CarPlay if I want.

One question I have…I don’t know how or see any way to connect it to WiFi. On the settings page under WiFi it shows “tslink not connected” but no button to enabler it, enter an SSID/password, etc.

In a couple other discussions on this site folks have commented that Hansshow (and other third party sellers) include OTA as a marketing gimmick and never intend to offer updates. Maybe that’s true, but I was hoping to at least connect it. I tried connecting the screen to the car’s Bluetooth, thinking maybe it would piggyback off my home WiFi that way. I don’t see an SSID named “tslink” so I can’t connect it that way either.

Hansshow included a double-headed flash drive (USB-A on one end, USB-C on the other) so I suppose if they ever offer an update on the website, I can install it that way.

My F9 is the Linux version (the Android version is still showing a pre-order status).

View attachment 999988
My understanding is that the OTA upgrade thing is probably a marketing gimmick because most of the time they only provide like a few firmware updates until its "stable" and then they stop providing an upgrade and move onto the next product. I don't see that as a huge deal since I prefer uploading via the USB-C port.

Reactions: msawyer91
Finally, a decent instrument display for a car that should have had driver's an instrument display in the first place. I may not have installed all the Hansshow displays but probably most of them, and I have described my experiences with the many (perhaps too many) models before I stalled the F9. I can probably only recommend the latest one, so maybe you won't waste any more money than necessary.

1st Display (9.0" Linux w/o front camera): Nice try, but who needs half of the display dedicated to a HP dial?? Who cares about the HP?? Read all the complaints about airflow, yet living in Florida, it didn't seem to make a difference, because you just redirect the airflow around the display. I installed the Sixth Element Model 3 Perforated Leather Knight Rider Dry Carbon Steering Wheel with the open upper part of the steering wheel, so display size was no problem. I consider this the best steering wheel design to replace the original. Butt......I should have purchased the instrument display model with the front camera, since I have no radar and no ultrasound sensors on my 2023 M3.

2nd Display (10.25" Android with front camera): Same display, just slightly larger. Still, who needs the HP display? Too many cables for features I will never use. It was not easy to run the video cable through the pseudo-firewall, since all the previously plugged holes were closed up completely on the 2023 model. Had to go through the large conduit grommet on the driver's side. Passenger side grommet almost impossible to access due to obstructions on the Model 3. Model Y access to the grommets was more open, but I didn't feel like buying a new car just to have better video cable access. It also gave me an excuse to buy one of the relatively inexpensive articulating borescopes from Amazon. You can see around corners and has a spectacular borescope display, The display is almost as good as on the medical bronchoscopes. Main problem that I found was that you had to run a separate wire from the "small" battery to the display, again through the firewall, which you didn't have to do on the 9" Linux display. Unfortunately, the 16 volt battery (no longer 12 volts) on the newer 2023 Model 3 vehicles has a bizarre connector with no easy way to make a connection and still allow the utilization of the red plastic battery terminal insulator. Video image was very clear, and the camera lens was set to be very wide angle, so precise positioning was not critical. I made my own camera mounting bracket out of 1" aluminum angle stock (Lowes or Home Depot), because I could fit it further back in the front grill and therefore more protected from the whether elements.

3rd Display H6 Mini-dash 6.2" Display with camera: Superior UI display. Digital and analog display right smack in the middle where you need it, similar the look of the classic McLaren centrally mounted tachometer. The tire pressures are shown on the left in the default UI and the colors look great in the "night mode" setting. The display of the 4 wheel real-time tire pressure settings is of great importance in a car with no included spare tire. I don't get the inclusion of the cute little car running on the simulated road on the right side of the display. Seems like a waste of space. Now the good news is that you no longer needed the separate 16 volt power wire. The bad news is the front mounted camera is different from the last display camera; And the video cable is also incompatible with the prior display. Trust me, I tried. The connector gender is reversed, color coding is different, and even the signals and voltage levels are different. I checked the individual signals on an oscilloscope. The last camera was fed with 5 volts. The newer camera was 12 volts (although I might have that reversed; I lost my notes). So I had to remove the power cable and exchange the video cable and camera, again. Additional problem: The display is considerably smaller, about the size of my cellphone, and a small portion of the lower part of the display is slightly blocked by the steering well hub. This last problem is rather dependent on the preference of the the driver's seat position, but the display is still annoyingly smaller.

4th Display F9 9" (really 8.8") Display with Camera and New and Improved Airflow Vents: I didn't ask for any new vents, but everyone seemed to want them, and I liked the larger display. Any chance you could use the same video cable and front mounted camera??? Not a chance. the camera and video cable are again different from the last display model. The two items might be similar to the cameral on the 10.25" display, but I didn't feel like taking a chance of potentially destroying the new equipment. The F9 system seems to improve the airflow problem and also raises the display up so as not to be blocked by the steering wheel hub, and I appreciate the larger screen size. The F9 seems like the best choice, and I'm tired of throwing away money, because Hansshow seems to introduce a new instrument display every couple of weeks. It's a shame that they don't make the display user configurable.

4th Display F9 9" (really 8.8") Display with Camera and New and Improved Airflow Vents: I didn't ask for any new vents, but everyone seemed to want them, and I liked the larger display. Any chance you could use the same video cable and front mounted camera??? Not a chance. the camera and video cable are again different from the last display model. The two items might be similar to the cameral on the 10.25" display, but I didn't feel like taking a chance of potentially destroying the new equipment. The F9 system seems to improve the airflow problem and also raises the display up so as not to be blocked by the steering wheel hub, and I appreciate the larger screen size. The F9 seems like the best choice, and I'm tired of throwing away money, because Hansshow seems to introduce a new instrument display every couple of weeks. It's a shame that they don't make the display user configurable.
Well that's good to know. I thought I could just do a plug and play with my existing 10.25" one. Honestly they seem to find a new one every month to release anyway instead of updating the old models so I'll pass for now.

Is it mine or you guys have the same issues? Mine F9 display is more off angled, meaning tilting towards passenger(check the pic). Also, the update, wifi button doesn't work. Bluetooth needs to reconnect every time when I get into the car. Contacted Hansshow for replacement. Haven't heard a word from them over a week.

What I do like, the front camera is a great feature.
F9.jpg

I just installed mine. Anyone know how to set up carplay? The instructions say to press the right scroll wheel to the right but mine doesn’t take me to the carplay connection menu. Any ideas? Thanks in advance
I believe you just need to connect bluetooth from your phone to the unit and then press the carplay icon (top one) on the left menu that pops up when you tap the screen.

I received the F9 unit recently and started to install it yesterday. I have a 2021 M3 with Intel CPU. My car does have the blue and white connectors like the instructions for the AMD cars, but I also have the gray connector on the MCU computer. It is a refresh model with the new center console and blacked out trim, etc. I installed the harness on the MCU since I have Intel, and the unit does not work correctly. It boots up and I get data from the car like SoC and door open indicators etc., but when I tap on 'settings' on the screen, the settings menu comes up for about 2 seconds and then dismisses. I cannot select anything. If I put the car in Drive, I never get the speedometer display. The steering wheel controls work, but anything I bring up dismisses in 2 seconds. For instance, the front camera view starts to come up, but then quits after 2 seconds and goes back to the home screen showing the car in the middle. Noting works properly. I tried rebooting the unit, replugging in all connectors, restarting MCU, etc. No changes.

I then unplugged the gray MCU connector and tried the AMD side of the harness on the blue and white connectors. The screen powers on and I get some data from the car like SoC and odometer, same information and behavior from the MCU connector. Settings dismiss, no speedometer, front camera quits after 2 seconds, same exact behavior.

If I leave the blue connector disconnected and just have the white AMD one plugged it and I replug the white and black connectors on the screen, it will power up and I can navigate the settings menu without it dismissing, but have no car data. I tried the OTA update which 'worked'. I say this because I did get a % update indicator and it rebooted after 100% (also no change in behavior with the blue connector attached, same issue with settings and everything). But I tried the OTA update again and it showed the same progress % indicator and rebooted. I think the OTA is fake and is not doing anything. There is no version number of the software anywhere I can tell.

So, I am not sure if my unit is faulty or the harness, or what. I emailed and texted support, but have not heard back. As it is now, it is not usable.

I received the F9 unit recently and started to install it yesterday. I have a 2021 M3 with Intel CPU. My car does have the blue and white connectors like the instructions for the AMD cars, but I also have the gray connector on the MCU computer. It is a refresh model with the new center console and blacked out trim, etc. I installed the harness on the MCU since I have Intel, and the unit does not work correctly. It boots up and I get data from the car like SoC and door open indicators etc., but when I tap on 'settings' on the screen, the settings menu comes up for about 2 seconds and then dismisses. I cannot select anything. If I put the car in Drive, I never get the speedometer display. The steering wheel controls work, but anything I bring up dismisses in 2 seconds. For instance, the front camera view starts to come up, but then quits after 2 seconds and goes back to the home screen showing the car in the middle. Noting works properly. I tried rebooting the unit, replugging in all connectors, restarting MCU, etc. No changes.

I then unplugged the gray MCU connector and tried the AMD side of the harness on the blue and white connectors. The screen powers on and I get some data from the car like SoC and odometer, same information and behavior from the MCU connector. Settings dismiss, no speedometer, front camera quits after 2 seconds, same exact behavior.

If I leave the blue connector disconnected and just have the white AMD one plugged it and I replug the white and black connectors on the screen, it will power up and I can navigate the settings menu without it dismissing, but have no car data. I tried the OTA update which 'worked'. I say this because I did get a % update indicator and it rebooted after 100% (also no change in behavior with the blue connector attached, same issue with settings and everything). But I tried the OTA update again and it showed the same progress % indicator and rebooted. I think the OTA is fake and is not doing anything. There is no version number of the software anywhere I can tell.

So, I am not sure if my unit is faulty or the harness, or what. I emailed and texted support, but have not heard back. As it is now, it is not usable.
I had the same issue. All your doors need to be closed for it to work. If you get a chance and figure out how to get the apple carplay to work please let me know

Interesting. When i do that, it never asks me to use carplay. It just connects via bluetooth. When i click on the carplay icon, nothing happens
Ok, try going in to the bluetooth settings on your phone and tap the little "i" to the right of the paired display (something like CarKit-xxxx) and make sure that "CarPlay" is switched on at the top.

Ok, try going in to the bluetooth settings on your phone and tap the little "i" to the right of the paired display (something like CarKit-xxxx) and make sure that "CarPlay" is switched on at the top.
If i connect in the bluetooth settings there is no carplay icon when i click the “i”. If i set it up via general then carplay, i’ll see the carplay toggle which i set it to on. It still doesn’t connect. I’ve tried 2 different iphones. In the instructions it states to push the right scroll wheel to the right and that will enable the carplay connection but nothing happens on my car. No settings pop up unfortunately

If i connect in the bluetooth settings there is no carplay icon when i click the “i”. If i set it up via general then carplay, i’ll see the carplay toggle which i set it to on. It still doesn’t connect. I’ve tried 2 different iphones. In the instructions it states to push the right scroll wheel to the right and that will enable the carplay connection but nothing happens on my car. No settings pop up unfortunately
Ok, try forgetting the devices in your bluetooth settings by tapping the "i" next to them. Then, put the car in park and tap the screen, select the top left icon in the left menu buttons that show. The top one is for CarPlay. The middle one is for Android Auto. I think maybe you paired to the Android Auto one? Anyway, once you tap on the top icon for CarPlay, you should see a message about connecting to bluetooth. Now go on your phone in Settings > Bluetooth and tap on the CarKit-xxx device that should be found. Then pair, it should then ask if you want to use it for CarPlay after it connects. Tap yes or whatever and it should work.

I had the same issue. All your doors need to be closed for it to work. If you get a chance and figure out how to get the apple carplay to work please let me know
Ok, so I just tried it and took it for a drive, it is all working properly! Thank you! I thought surely I tried with the doors closed as I was installing it in the garage. I guess I never did. Apparently in Park, and with a door open, you cannot use the screen at all. Very strange. Anyway, now back to properly installing it.

Ok, so I just tried it and took it for a drive, it is all working properly! Thank you! I thought surely I tried with the doors closed as I was installing it in the garage. I guess I never did. Apparently in Park, and with a door open, you cannot use the screen at all. Very strange. Anyway, now back to properly installing it.
No problem. Let me know if you get your carplay working. That’s what we can’t figure out lol

If you guys first forget the CarKit bluetooth device on the phone, does pressing the carplay icon on the F9 screen do anything? Mine doesn't. I click it and it just flashes. Either the small carplay icon during park, or the green carplay icon during a drive. Both just flashes and do nothing. I see on youtube videos the F9 screen would show a text asking you to connect to CarKit. Mine doesn't do that.

No problem. Let me know if you get your carplay working. That’s what we can’t figure out lol
Yeah, my CarPlay works. Did you see my reply earlier?

Ok, try forgetting the devices in your bluetooth settings by tapping the "i" next to them. Then, put the car in park and tap the screen, select the top left icon in the left menu buttons that show. The top one is for CarPlay. The middle one is for Android Auto. I think maybe you paired to the Android Auto one? Anyway, once you tap on the top icon for CarPlay, you should see a message about connecting to bluetooth. Now go on your phone in Settings > Bluetooth and tap on the CarKit-xxx device that should be found. Then pair, it should then ask if you want to use it for CarPlay after it connects. Tap yes or whatever and it should work.