Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Hansshow V5 Power Frunk Issue (2022)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I recently installed the V5 Power Frunk for my 2022 Model Y Performance. I am running into an issue where the control box beeps when I am not trying to use the power Frunk. The box will beep every few seconds and while this is happening, if I try to open the Frunk, it unlatches but doesn’t open automatically. (If I close the Frunk and try again, it will then open all the way up on this second try)

Through some initial testing, the control box appears to start beeping when I run the AC to cool the car down remotely. The beeping only occurs when the Frunk is shut. It may also be helpful to point out that the control box beeps one time, when I open the doors for the first time, but this does not hinder the auto Frunk.

I have reached out to Hannshow Auto and they replaced the control box, but this did not fix the issue. They think it might be a signal issue with the new 2022 model Y, but are looking into it.

Has anyone experienced this?

View attachment 874219View attachment 874220

Thanks. I just realized the latch motor I got is totally different from yours. There’s an emergency release coming out of the motor but I don’t know if it’s reliable. Like you said. If the motor pulled the latch shut and doesnt release, the frunk lid would be stuck there.
Wow that is different. I haven’t put my replacement in yet since I had the old one apart so many times. For now my old one is still working after I cleaned it up. Least the 3/Y seem to get this with the Hansshow v5.
Mine failed intermittently over summer as it rusted. Had some trepidation taking the assembly apart but mine would have to fail with tension in it to really become a problem.

Upvote 0
So all V5 has it?
My M3 is a 2020, so i got the V4.3. so that means they removed the emergency release in newer versions?

I saw a few videos, the emergency release is pulling the other side, the part where the car release the main latch.
but if that latch soft close motor gets stuck while it's pulling that primary latch, the frunk is kind of stuck.. the new emergency release pulling on the drier side of the car doesn't really do anything.

Upvote 0
So all V5 has it?
My M3 is a 2020, so i got the V4.3. so that means they removed the emergency release in newer versions?

I saw a few videos, the emergency release is pulling the other side, the part where the car release the main latch.
but if that latch soft close motor gets stuck while it's pulling that primary latch, the frunk is kind of stuck.. the new emergency release pulling on the drier side of the car doesn't really do anything.
Or they didn't rev the model and went with a different motor unit. Looks totally different from mine (maybe due to my issue)

Yeah they changed the suction motors this one.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Btw. Can you close the frunk from the inside screen ? Or does the frunk “open button” greys out after the frunk is opened?
My kid got sick so I’m going to install it next week.
same button works to close even though it says open.
The struts probably the hardest part, but I used a pick tool to free the stock ones. Videos online show that well but conveying the difficulty and room to work can't be realized until you get in there. Rest is wire routing and for me I'd try to keep the suction motor out of the weather or place it in a camping bag or something just to limit rust/issues. Definitely mark where your current latch is and be slightly prepared for hood latch alignment adjustments. I had to use my hood adjusters to shore up the leveling etc.

Attachments

• 1668623495135.jpeg
    1668623495135.jpeg
    151.5 KB · Views: 351
Last edited:
Upvote 0
same button works to close even though it says open.
The struts probably the hardest part, but I used a pick tool to free the stock ones. Videos online show that well but conveying the difficulty and room to work can't be realized until you get in there. Rest is wire routing and for me I'd try to keep the suction motor out of the weather or place it in a camping bag or something just to limit rust/issues. Definitely mark where your current latch is and be slightly prepared for hood latch alignment adjustments. I had to use my hood adjusters to shore up the leveling etc.
Thanks for all the tips. I’m mentally preparing myself now. I got skinny hands so hopefully that helps with the strut.

So the frunk open button doesn’t grey out when frunk is opened after installing the power frunk?

Upvote 0
Could be the Lock settings - Auto Unlock etc...
Also could be a few of the harnesses that intercept w/ Hansshow controller.
Got mine installed. The hansshow control makes the car think the frunk is closed after it’s opened. It probably close the sensor micro switch for a second to make it thinks the frunk lid is down to reset it to the closed status.

Btw, I have a problem where the strut motor starts pushing up before the secondary latch is disengaged. So sometimes it get stuck.
Anyone has a firmware that I can try with delay before strut motor activates and how to flash in new firmware?

Upvote 0
My thought is this may be the factory vs Hansshow latch alignment. I push my hannshow latch up and factory more down. I also had to play with hood alignment slightly post install using the adjustment pegs on the hood.

I had used a silver marker before removing the factory latch to aid with keeping the hood aligned. But tried to push their latch higher based on a video they had posted.

Upvote 0
My thought is this may be the factory vs Hansshow latch alignment. I push my hannshow latch up and factory more down. I also had to play with hood alignment slightly post install using the adjustment pegs on the hood.

I had used a silver marker before removing the factory latch to aid with keeping the hood aligned. But tried to push their latch higher based on a video they had posted.
I just realized that my latch assembly should quite different. Hands shoe part only add that pull cable from the right. I don’t have another plate for it.

Attachments

• 7DA7D3C6-EB0B-419F-9F22-E94CF16E757C.jpeg
    7DA7D3C6-EB0B-419F-9F22-E94CF16E757C.jpeg
    396.9 KB · Views: 80
Upvote 0