Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Hansshow vs Tesla Offer Power Frunk/Trunk - which one to buy?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I've been on the fence about getting this because it was just too expensive and I've spent enough on my 2018 Model 3 as it is. But it's now 30% off so I'm ordering the Trunk with foot sensor and the power Frunk. The Frunk is version 3 and the Trunk is version 4, not sure what changed with the Trunk V3 to V4.

My Model 3 is covered by Tesla insurance and I'm going to have to call them and find out if these items are covered should they be damaged in an accident. Even with the 30% discount they cost over $700 and I'd hate to find out after an accident that they aren't covered.

Last edited:
Would that prevent you from purchasing if they’re not covered? I have both and man they’re tremendous. I’d hate for you not to have the enjoyment and ease of use just for that reason. Live a little! YOLO! It’s 2020. Been a crappy year for all of us. Treat yourself!:)

Ski

Reactions: tlr1000
I've been on the fence about getting this because it was just too expensive and I've spent enough on my 2018 Model 3 as it is. But it's now 30% off so I'm ordering the Trunk with foot sensor and the power Frunk. The Frunk is version 3 and the Trunk is version 4, not sure what changed with the Trunk V3 to V4.

My Model 3 is covered by Tesla insurance and I'm going to have to call them and find out if these items are covered should they be damaged in an accident. Even with the 30% discount they cost over $700 and I'd hate to find out after an accident that they aren't covered.
Interesting point about the Tesla insurance. Keep us posted. Outside of Tesla insurance, the main principle behind insurance is indemnification which in short summary is to cover the insured person for damages or money spent. Therefore, normally it would be covered but who knows with Tesla insurance. Can't see they would deviate from standard insurance coverage.

With respect to the v3/4 you mentioned I assume you're looking at Hansshow. Having researched and experience installing both of the latest kits from Hansshow and TeslaOffer, I can say that the TeslaOffer kits are superior (for many reasons in the posts in this thread). The only disadvantage of the TO kit is the sale price is not as low as the HS kit but in my opinion, the price difference is worthwhile. You get what you pay for.

Last edited:
Reactions: k2evvv
It will prevent your trunk from opening when you are in Drive whether you try with the outside trunk button or foot sensor (if you have that).
Don’t you want it to disallow opening if you’re in neutral? Don’t know about automated car washes in the States but in the UK you have to put the car in neutral, not park or drive, as the car is pulled through the wash on tracks, so the wheels have to rotate freely.

if Hansshow/TO allows the trunk/frunk kick sensors to open the trunk or trunk when the car is in neutral, there is a chance this could occur in an automated car wash. I would hope it only allowed activation whilst in park.

Don’t you want it to disallow opening if you’re in neutral? Don’t know about automated car washes in the States but in the UK you have to put the car in neutral, not park or drive, as the car is pulled through the wash on tracks, so the wheels have to rotate freely.

if Hansshow/TO allows the trunk/frunk kick sensors to open the trunk or trunk when the car is in neutral, there is a chance this could occur in an automated car wash. I would hope it only allowed activation whilst in park.

Most are stationary systems where the wash mechanisms rotate around your vehicle. There are a few belt driven ones but those are rare as they hook into your tire/wheel. I'm only guessing though because who in their right mind would want a machine to scratch their car?!

Reactions: DeadLock
With respect to the v3/4 you mentioned I assume you're looking at Hansshow. Having researched and experience installing both of the latest kits from Hansshow and TeslaOffer, I can say that the TeslaOffer kits are superior (for many reasons in the posts in this thread). The only disadvantage of the TO kit is the sale price is not as low as the HS kit but in my opinion, the price difference is worthwhile. You get what you pay for.

When the kit arrived instead of getting version 4 of the auto trunk I got Version 6. I contacted Hansshow and asked what changed, and they said improved components and thinner struts, so now they don't rub against the rear glass rubber seal.

^not sure if theyre any thinner than other versions, but my v6 still rubs the seal. Not surprised tho, bc the OEM strut rubs the seal as well.
The oem power strut has a soft rubber boot which is the same design as the TeslaOffer strut so you get two soft materials rubbing together whereas the Hansshow one is metal rubbing on the seal which has been shown to cause physical damage. The oem strut looks like a copy of the TeslaOffer version. Hansshow previously posted their all metal design was better than the TeslaOffer soft casing and I guess Tesla agrees with TeslaOffer since they decided on the same design.

Btw, what was version 5 if they are now on 6?

Doesn't the 2021 car have a cutout in the rear glass rubber seal anyway?

I really don't like this constantly changing version numbers stuff from Hansshow. I get that products evolve but it doesn't fill me with confidence in buying their product.

Doesn't the 2021 car have a cutout in the rear glass rubber seal anyway?

I really don't like this constantly changing version numbers stuff from Hansshow. I get that products evolve but it doesn't fill me with confidence in buying their product.

Yes the OEM power trunk does have a cutout in the seal, so the strut doesn't rub.

But Hansshow specifically told me that their Version 6 power strut doesn't rub because it's thinner. If others here are saying it still rubs then we need to get seem answers from Hansshow. I'll know for sure once I get time to install mine.