Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Happy to report that V10 supports Plex Streaming

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
The USB resume bug shouldn't be that difficult to fix - all it would take would be for the media player to periodically store its current position while playing - and then use that when the software resumes.

Evidently the current software is implemented to store the current media player selection/position when the processor goes into sleep mode - but that isn't working - so the media player doesn't get the correct selection/position when resuming (or the software that is supposed to restore last played selection/position is broken, which seems less likely).

This release is supposed to fix some longstanding issues with Bluetooth streaming - but doesn't appear to do anything to address the longstanding requests for improved smartphone integration or fix the obvious USB/media player bugs.

Since we usually have a tablet with us when we are at superchargers on road trips, adding the ability to stream videos on the console display only while the vehicle is parked doesn't provide much benefit, other than getting the audio synced with the video.

Would have preferred more focus on the media player/smartphone integration that is used while the vehicle is in motion - and reduce the interactions drivers are making on their smartphones while driving...

I don't have the issue with USB music not resuming in fact it resumes before I sit in the car. Streaming music and podcasts also resume fine. How many songs are in your library? My car is a 2013 S. Also on V10 and 32.11.1.

Open Youtube in Theater.

Select you account icon (upper right hand corner)

From the menu, select "Manage Google Account".

Once on account page, select the "grid icon" (upper right hand corner next to you account icon).

From menu select "Search".

Search "plex"....

At this point, you should be in FULL SCREEN mode and can play Plex in full screen.... Just log into you account from the left have menu icon.

On downside is that anything you play in 5.1 will drop out the front center channel (dialogue channel) and the .1 (subwoofer channel) from the playback mix. The only solution to this is to force the car (settings) to downmix the playback to Stereo.

Enjoy.

Any way to get the title bar off the top of the screen after linking from Youtube? The controls get cut off on the bottom (on Model 3).

I figured out pressing the plex full screen button takes care of the title bar.

A new limitation I noticed is that the default web playback quality is 2Mbps which is really bad. The interface is quirky and I have not figured out a way to change this to Maximum. Once a movie is playing, I can change the quality there, but if I choose Auto, it stays below 2Mbsp. Choosing a specific bit rate above 2Mbps works but then the auto adjust is removed and buffering can occur.

On downside is that anything you play in 5.1 will drop out the front center channel (dialogue channel) and the .1 (subwoofer channel) from the playback mix. The only solution to this is to force the car (settings) to downmix the playback to Stereo.

can you please tell me how you did this?

Anywhere in the settings i see, you can not force the audio to downmix on the webplayer.

Unless i am doing it wrong.

I figured out pressing the plex full screen button takes care of the title bar.

A new limitation I noticed is that the default web playback quality is 2Mbps which is really bad. The interface is quirky and I have not figured out a way to change this to Maximum. Once a movie is playing, I can change the quality there, but if I choose Auto, it stays below 2Mbsp. Choosing a specific bit rate above 2Mbps works but then the auto adjust is removed and buffering can occur.

I assume you were using cellular connectivity. Since the data is unlimited, they probably throttle the max speed. The use of cellular is temporary and will probably be disabled soon. On verizon, the hotspot through my phone is limited to about 800kb/s so the quality of videos will be pretty poor. Ultimately, if you want good quality, you are going to have to use wifi.

I assume you were using cellular connectivity. Since the data is unlimited, they probably throttle the max speed. The use of cellular is temporary and will probably be disabled soon. On verizon, the hotspot through my phone is limited to about 800kb/s so the quality of videos will be pretty poor. Ultimately, if you want good quality, you are going to have to use wifi.

This was happening on Tesla LTE, my phone's hotspot, and the wifi in my garage. I did manage to get the Plex Web: Quality: Internet Streaming Video Quality set to maximum and now the 1080p videos play at 8-9 Mbps in theater mode. I don't know exactly how I got the Maximum setting chosen but when I went back to it, it was set.

I don't have the issue with USB music not resuming in fact it resumes before I sit in the car. Streaming music and podcasts also resume fine. How many songs are in your library? My car is a 2013 S. Also on V10 and 32.11.1.

How many songs do you have? I think the issue with USB music not resuming has to do with customers with a a reasonably large music collection. USB music resuming for me is less than 50/50.

For the Tesla Theater Mode, wouldn't it be awesome if there was an option to create "Custom Shortcuts" to sites such as Plex, so we don't need to do the Youtube link hack?

How many songs do you have? I think the issue with USB music not resuming has to do with customers with a a reasonably large music collection. USB music resuming for me is less than 50/50.

For the Tesla Theater Mode, wouldn't it be awesome if there was an option to create "Custom Shortcuts" to sites such as Plex, so we don't need to do the Youtube link hack?

I would say 100-200 on a USB stick. That's good enough for me.

I don't normally listen to music from usb, but I put two songs on a thumb drive to test it. If I got back in the car within a few minutes, it would resume. When I waited an hour to return to the car, It didn't resume.

Following as I have a large library of movies and shows on my home Plex server. Just need to wait for my car to be delivered!

unless you in a profession which requires you to sit a lot in the car its sort of pointless over a tablet.

You can not view youtube or plex with the car in anything but park.
The screen is not optimal for watching movies either.
The yellow borders especially kills it which my MCU display has that i need fixed.

Also if and when i can watch it, id rather be inside my house then sitting in my car as my sofa / office chair is many more times comfortable then sitting in the car. To be honest after sitting an hour in traffic... (thank god for enhanced autopilot) the last place i want to be is in the car period.

Even when i supercharge i do not sit in the car, id rather go inside the mall, grab a coffee, or pretzels, and come back when i get the notification my car is almost done.

What i do think is great tho is the spotify.
Spotify is so much greater then Streaming.
I have the family premium with my little brother, so that is a blessing, as i honestly also believe the audio quality even sounds better then Streaming.

I would really love screen mirroring, or something similar to that.
Can we even get a HOTSPOT feature on our car... PLEASE... stop giving us almost usless stuff, and give us stuff we can actually use.

And plex on the car is nothing special.
My company's cargo van, which is a 2019 Ford Transit, with Sync 3 has Plex/Waze/(add any other Andriod App which you can have on Android Auto), and even has a hotspot option.

This is a CARGO VAN, which has more practical/useful features then my 2018 TESLA's infotainment system, which is sort of depressing.

Someone just thankfully created a nice and easy way to access Plex full screen.

Bookmark this on your browser if you use Plex:

http://teslatheater.com/

thats a nice link to everything.... however we can also just use plex.tv which is easier.

What is different from what the OP is talking about tho is going though youtube app, and getting a real full screen vs the browser screen.

I hadn't even considered trying this, sounds like another fun way to catch some movies in the car!
I tried Plex in our Model 3. I watched live TV, which worked well but with occasional stutters at highest quality. It does play in the browser window (not part of the Theater function) and won't go full screen, so limited performance there. The car was streaming music at the same time, so I had two audio feeds until I paused audio streaming. The full Plex web functionality appeared to be present, though I didn't try everything.
Is it possible to access/play my Plex music collection/playlists from my NAS whilst driving on the infotainment system?