Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

New '23 YLR Owner experiences

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Good morning :) brand new Shanghai build '23 YLR Owner. Thought I'd share my first 2 days experiences, including first major trip.

In Aus the Fed Govt removed a tax which meant that if you took out what's called a novated lease where your car payments + insurance/rego/tyres/servicing etc are taken out of your wage -it reduces the cost of an EV substantially. So, we have always wanted a Y & took the plunge!

Ordered pearl white LR with 19' on 28/7, told late Sept arrival.
Picked up 11/8! Only 2 weeks later!

The order process was quite disjointed, with texts from Tesla often coming in the wrong order eg "your vin has been assigned" & then on the following day "we've assigned a car, your vin will be assigned soon". However, the Tesla customer service response time to text messages etc was pretty fast!

This lightning fast arrival caught us on the hop a little as we hadn't got the wall charger or anything. Scrambled to order:
- mud flaps
- mats
- usb hub
- wheel covers
- console storage organisers
- J1772 adapter (used already & was excellent so easy to do)

Wall charger in process but slow due to building issues. But I have plenty of type 2 chargers nearby to keep topped up (can't get a type 1 for home either as no power to the garage and Strata approval process really slow).

All ordered gear incredibly arrived within 3-4 days (even stuff from the US!).

Picked up late Friday 11/8. Really smooth handover, no gap issues, followed the handover check list that I got from a YouTuber - cust serv guy was quite shocked but really supportive in the process.

Pleased to say - zero build issues whatsoever. No gaps, no scratches, everything clean & 86% charge on the battery. Downloaded the Tessie app based on reviews I read so I could get more stats etc.

First big trip yesterday - 340km round trip, 4 hours of driving. LOVED IT. Used the superchargers - peak output on one in a rural location 120kW which I thought was pretty damn good for the location. The other in Metro Sydney was 174kW (screen grabs of the trip stats attached).

Initial thoughts :
  • the handling was firm but I liked it like that
  • the dual motors sure put out some amazing grunt + torque even in chill mode
  • cameras are great - but the outside ones look like they have a 'sepia' type filter? By that I mean the images have a yellowish tinge. Is that usual?
  • adaptive cruise control is so good! But one big negative is the slow response time to accelerate after slowing / stopping. Often leaves a huge gap. I have it set on 2 but it looks like that is as "adaptive" as it'll get?
  • autopilot was quick & easy to calibrate, and really great.
  • traffic visualisation Inc speed signs was great, but not that effective in Aus on dual lane roads as our speed signs are usually on the left side verge and not on the right, and if you're in the middle or right lane it often didn't pick it up. Not a biggie though.
  • charge process easy. Yes, it's slower then IC refuelling, but if you plan, it's really not an issue. By the time you stretch, take a leak etc, it's almost done
  • the wifi hotspot was really annoying, and I don't know if that's an ioS issue or Tesla. Kept disconnecting and then doesnt auto reconnect. Unsure how to resolve (read the thread on here - seems to be an issue - should I ask Tesla?)
  • the stupid Aus gov made Tesla disable the browser as soon as vehicle is in drive so I couldn't work out a workaround to use Waze or watch Netflix etc for the pax (any hints would be appreciated)
  • the lack of a driver dash display was an issue for like 5 mins - got over it and it doesn't worry me now. I think I'd still look at getting a second one only so the pax can enjoy the main screen (if I can get around the stupid browser disablement) while I can have the driving info on the second

Sorry for the long post but hope you can appreciate my journeys start!

51202B7A-E5E1-4B4D-8105-8A870023DB74.jpeg

Attachments

• IMG_5874.png
    IMG_5874.png
    218.1 KB · Views: 316
  • IMG_5873.jpeg
    IMG_5873.jpeg
    431.2 KB · Views: 251
  • IMG_5872.png
    IMG_5872.png
    263.5 KB · Views: 255
  • IMG_5871.png
    IMG_5871.png
    217.8 KB · Views: 278
  • IMG_5870.png
    IMG_5870.png
    313.1 KB · Views: 283
  • IMG_5868.png
    IMG_5868.png
    271.8 KB · Views: 288
  • IMG_5867.png
    IMG_5867.png
    217 KB · Views: 293
  • IMG_5866.png
    IMG_5866.png
    487.1 KB · Views: 288
  • IMG_5865.png
    IMG_5865.png
    230 KB · Views: 325
  • The side cameras have color filters that are best suited for image processing, that is, for the car to recognize objects better. They weren't really intended for the driver to see - displaying the side camera when the turn signal is used was added in a pretty recent software update. (I guess that doesn't explain why all of the cameras don't have a sepia tone.)
  • One common complaint is that that autopilot waits too long to start slowing down, and takes too long to start speeding up again. I'm hoping this is addressed in a future software update.

New member and new owner of UK model y long range since pick up on 17/8
very happy with car wish I could say the same about pick up from Brent Cross and the Tesla process after ordering inventory car. I’ve blogged about it. Tweeted (x’d) Tesla but nothing from customer service. Not sure if I can link to story www.phenweb.co.uk. Lack of comms from Tesla at all stages.
Anyway, car is lovely, quiet, quick. Also had first supercharger experience Park Royal London and now first home charging. No dedicated charger yet. Ordered a zappi to combine with solar system. More on the blog.

@MossDaddy , to keep tesla connected to a wifi hotspot when in drive, you need to enable a setting that is not the default. Go to your list of wifi hotspots. Edit the one you want to use when driving and click on the box which says something like “keep alive when in drive”. This is the way. I use a hotspot almost daily.
Thanks @ElectricAnt54 - got that sorted - still doesn’t auto re-connect though (I think that may be an iOS thing?)

Thanks @ElectricAnt54 - got that sorted - still doesn’t auto re-connect though (I think that may be an iOS thing?)
I think it is how the Tesla vehicle/OS operates rather than iOS. I use a hotspot every day almost and just got in the habit of clicking on the hotspot when I leave my home's wi-fi range. The car seems to favor my home wi-fi in the morning. When I am around town, the car sees my hotspot and connects automatically. MY hotspot is a raspberry pi mini computer that I use to get CarPlay/Android auto in the car's center screen. This will not work in Australia since the country doesn't allow Tesla web browser to remain open when car in is drive unlike most of the world...I bet there is a story regarding this restriction by the Oz government :)....hmmm..distracted person drives in to a pond filed with crocks?

Last edited:
Reactions: MossDaddy
  • One common complaint is that that autopilot waits too long to start slowing down, and takes too long to start speeding up again. I'm hoping this is addressed in a future software update.

I came to the MY from a current model BMW X5 and this was one of the more jarring/disappointing downgrades.

First - the 2023 MY Autopilot has much more natural steering than the X5's active cruise control (huge positive). BUT the starting and stopping of the X5's active cruise control is WAY (I'll say it again WAYYYYYY) better than my new MY. Add to that - the X5's auto lane change is included with the X5's active cruise control (not a $6K feature).

Don't get me wrong - there is a LOT I like about the Model Y - I'm happy I made the jump. But - coming from an X5 - Tesla's autopilot is a underwhelming so far - which really surprised me based on the Auto Pilot hype...

BMW's active cruise control is quietly better than Tesla's autopilot is in some important areas. Tesla - take note.

Last edited:
Thanks @MossDaddy nice write up - and awesome looking beast!

Must say it seems I missed the boat - literally! I ordered MY 2 days before you took delivery, and still waiting....... for anything... only difference is I ordered with the 20" rims, so must be not so many of those.

Where is that awesome SuperCharger location in the hills? I've gotta take a drive there when I get mine.

I've a plan to get a bunch of stuff to add as well, so a few questions if I may:
1) Mud Flaps - why did you feel the need for them? Are they necessary? I wondered if they may adversely impact range
2) Mats - what type? Were the provided ones not up to it?
3) USB hub - what type, and more importantly why did you need it?
4) Console storage organisers - are they needed, or just a nice to have?
5) Tessie - is it worth it? I know there is a lot in there, but more apps is not always best.

Really looking forward to getting my MYLR soon, and doing a drive like yours.

Thanks for the tip on the pickup checklist. I am normally thorough, but that is awesome!

Once I take delivery, I plan on getting:
- Tow Package (have to have somewhere to put my son's mountain bikes)
- Garage Door opener
- Front windows tinted to max legal (35%) to bring close to same as rear windows
- Considering getting the Tesla tyre repair kit (nervous without any spare or way of getting mobile again)
- Considering mat for frunk and trunk

Already have the UMC Mobile Charger... a lot say its not needed, but I'm going to try using that at home during the day to charge off my solar and see how it goes.

It will connect. I find I have to give it ~1 minute to connect before I put the car in Drive. You just need some patience. If I jump in the car and put it in drive it will turn off wi-fi in the car if there is no connection. I use an iPhone 13 for my hotspots connection.

Thanks @MossDaddy nice write up - and awesome looking beast!

Must say it seems I missed the boat - literally! I ordered MY 2 days before you took delivery, and still waiting....... for anything... only difference is I ordered with the 20" rims, so must be not so many of those.

Where is that awesome SuperCharger location in the hills? I've gotta take a drive there when I get mine.

I've a plan to get a bunch of stuff to add as well, so a few questions if I may:
1) Mud Flaps - why did you feel the need for them? Are they necessary? I wondered if they may adversely impact range
2) Mats - what type? Were the provided ones not up to it?
3) USB hub - what type, and more importantly why did you need it?
4) Console storage organisers - are they needed, or just a nice to have?
5) Tessie - is it worth it? I know there is a lot in there, but more apps is not always best.

Really looking forward to getting my MYLR soon, and doing a drive like yours.

Thanks for the tip on the pickup checklist. I am normally thorough, but that is awesome!

Once I take delivery, I plan on getting:
- Tow Package (have to have somewhere to put my son's mountain bikes)
- Garage Door opener
- Front windows tinted to max legal (35%) to bring close to same as rear windows
- Considering getting the Tesla tyre repair kit (nervous without any spare or way of getting mobile again)
- Considering mat for frunk and trunk

Already have the UMC Mobile Charger... a lot say its not needed, but I'm going to try using that at home during the day to charge off my solar and see how it goes.
Hi @elddum - thanks for that!

Sorry to hear you’re still waiting :( that’s gotta suck. Well, I will say it is defin worth the wait! Having so much fun driving tbh!

The supercharger in my pics is near Berry NSW (called Jaspers Brush - nice little winery attached too!)

Now your questions:
1. Mudflaps - with the stupid roads and the silly councils we have, I wanted as low risk of stuff being flick up from the road as possible (also - the Tesla’s paint work isn’t the best to trying to minimise any road damage). I would highly doubt they’d impact range being within the slipstream of the vehicle?
2. I got the 3D XPE floor mats from Electric Auto Parts - The Ultimate Choice for Electric Car Parts who were excellent to deal with FYI
3. I got the USB hub from amazon.com - reason is, the C ports are in the storage; this way the pax can use the corded charger if needed.
4. I thought at first no - but am loving them now! Makes things easier to grab. Also looks neat.
5. Tessie is defin worth it - way more info then the Tesla app.

I want to get the garage door opener, so if you have a link or recommended sire, please let me know! Don‘t forget your charging adaptor for the non-tesla chargers - the one I got was in Aus from Melbourne - solid, arrived within 3 days. Works perfectly.

Also, get the wheel covers. The Y will come with Tesla ones, but the black looks wayyyyyyyy better :D

Have got the trunk & frunk mats too, already prevent a spill! (Braumach has them as well).

My next project is the car is being wrapped this Saturday! Will post a pic :D

Reactions: elddum
It will connect. I find I have to give it ~1 minute to connect before I put the car in Drive. You just need some patience. If I jump in the car and put it in drive it will turn off wi-fi in the car if there is no connection. I use an iPhone 13 for my hotspots connection.
Ok I’ll give that a go tonight and see how it goes. I note that if you don’t plug in and it sleeps, it deactivates wifi. See if this wakes it up :)

That must be what it is then.
It's certainly part of the issue. The hotspots on the phone won't start automatically, for security reasons I suppose. But using these two automations will allow it all to happen automagically. It's not perfect, sometimes the car has trouble connecting, and for some reason will lose the password to the hotspot. So when you re-enter the password you will have to check the 'remain connected in drive' option in wi-fi settings. If you need any assistance, let me know.

It's certainly part of the issue. The hotspots on the phone won't start automatically, for security reasons I suppose. But using these two automations will allow it all to happen automagically. It's not perfect, sometimes the car has trouble connecting, and for some reason will lose the password to the hotspot. So when you re-enter the password you will have to check the 'remain connected in drive' option in wi-fi settings. If you need any assistance, let me know.
🙏do you have to specify a time for automation? Couldn’t find anything that allows a generic automation?

No times are set for these automations.

On your iPhone:

First, go to Settings -> Focus -> Driving, scroll down and Under TURN ON AUTOMATICALLY enable Activate when connect to Car Bluetooth.

This will set you the Focus on your phone to Driving when it connects to your Tesla via BT.

Then in Shortcuts you want to create 2 automations.

Select the +, select Create Personal Automation, then scroll down to Focus and select Driving. 'When Turning On' (search for hotspot in the field at the bottom) 'Set Personal Hotspot' to 'On'.

This will enable you hotspot to be discoverable when driving focus is enabled.

Lastly create another automation that will turn off the hotspot when driving focus is disabled. That will happen when you walk away from the car and the phone disconnects from the cars bluetooth. Follow the process as above.

Good luck!

No times are set for these automations.

On your iPhone:

First, go to Settings -> Focus -> Driving, scroll down and Under TURN ON AUTOMATICALLY enable Activate when connect to Car Bluetooth.

This will set you the Focus on your phone to Driving when it connects to your Tesla via BT.

Then in Shortcuts you want to create 2 automations.

Select the +, select Create Personal Automation, then scroll down to Focus and select Driving. 'When Turning On' (search for hotspot in the field at the bottom) 'Set Personal Hotspot' to 'On'.

This will enable you hotspot to be discoverable when driving focus is enabled.

Lastly create another automation that will turn off the hotspot when driving focus is disabled. That will happen when you walk away from the car and the phone disconnects from the cars bluetooth. Follow the process as above.

Good luck!
That is freakin amazing!!!! Thank you so much! Have added it read to test tomorrow 🙏🏻🤞🏻

You're welcome. Like I said, it works pretty well for me if I let it connect before I put the car in Drive. And sometimes it will require inputting the password for the hotspot again (could be an iPhone security feature?). I keep meaning to change my hotspot password to something I'll remember. And when you do that you have to go back into wifi settings to enable remain connected in drive. (which I always forget to do and then wonder why it's not frigging working!!!111!)