Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

New '23 YLR Owner experiences

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Good morning :) brand new Shanghai build '23 YLR Owner. Thought I'd share my first 2 days experiences, including first major trip.

In Aus the Fed Govt removed a tax which meant that if you took out what's called a novated lease where your car payments + insurance/rego/tyres/servicing etc are taken out of your wage -it reduces the cost of an EV substantially. So, we have always wanted a Y & took the plunge!

Ordered pearl white LR with 19' on 28/7, told late Sept arrival.
Picked up 11/8! Only 2 weeks later!

The order process was quite disjointed, with texts from Tesla often coming in the wrong order eg "your vin has been assigned" & then on the following day "we've assigned a car, your vin will be assigned soon". However, the Tesla customer service response time to text messages etc was pretty fast!

This lightning fast arrival caught us on the hop a little as we hadn't got the wall charger or anything. Scrambled to order:
- mud flaps
- mats
- usb hub
- wheel covers
- console storage organisers
- J1772 adapter (used already & was excellent so easy to do)

Wall charger in process but slow due to building issues. But I have plenty of type 2 chargers nearby to keep topped up (can't get a type 1 for home either as no power to the garage and Strata approval process really slow).

All ordered gear incredibly arrived within 3-4 days (even stuff from the US!).

Picked up late Friday 11/8. Really smooth handover, no gap issues, followed the handover check list that I got from a YouTuber - cust serv guy was quite shocked but really supportive in the process.

Pleased to say - zero build issues whatsoever. No gaps, no scratches, everything clean & 86% charge on the battery. Downloaded the Tessie app based on reviews I read so I could get more stats etc.

First big trip yesterday - 340km round trip, 4 hours of driving. LOVED IT. Used the superchargers - peak output on one in a rural location 120kW which I thought was pretty damn good for the location. The other in Metro Sydney was 174kW (screen grabs of the trip stats attached).

Initial thoughts :
  • the handling was firm but I liked it like that
  • the dual motors sure put out some amazing grunt + torque even in chill mode
  • cameras are great - but the outside ones look like they have a 'sepia' type filter? By that I mean the images have a yellowish tinge. Is that usual?
  • adaptive cruise control is so good! But one big negative is the slow response time to accelerate after slowing / stopping. Often leaves a huge gap. I have it set on 2 but it looks like that is as "adaptive" as it'll get?
  • autopilot was quick & easy to calibrate, and really great.
  • traffic visualisation Inc speed signs was great, but not that effective in Aus on dual lane roads as our speed signs are usually on the left side verge and not on the right, and if you're in the middle or right lane it often didn't pick it up. Not a biggie though.
  • charge process easy. Yes, it's slower then IC refuelling, but if you plan, it's really not an issue. By the time you stretch, take a leak etc, it's almost done
  • the wifi hotspot was really annoying, and I don't know if that's an ioS issue or Tesla. Kept disconnecting and then doesnt auto reconnect. Unsure how to resolve (read the thread on here - seems to be an issue - should I ask Tesla?)
  • the stupid Aus gov made Tesla disable the browser as soon as vehicle is in drive so I couldn't work out a workaround to use Waze or watch Netflix etc for the pax (any hints would be appreciated)
  • the lack of a driver dash display was an issue for like 5 mins - got over it and it doesn't worry me now. I think I'd still look at getting a second one only so the pax can enjoy the main screen (if I can get around the stupid browser disablement) while I can have the driving info on the second

Sorry for the long post but hope you can appreciate my journeys start!

51202B7A-E5E1-4B4D-8105-8A870023DB74.jpeg

Attachments

• IMG_5865.png
    IMG_5865.png
    230 KB · Views: 325
  • IMG_5866.png
    IMG_5866.png
    487.1 KB · Views: 288
  • IMG_5867.png
    IMG_5867.png
    217 KB · Views: 293
  • IMG_5868.png
    IMG_5868.png
    271.8 KB · Views: 288
  • IMG_5870.png
    IMG_5870.png
    313.1 KB · Views: 283
  • IMG_5871.png
    IMG_5871.png
    217.8 KB · Views: 278
  • IMG_5872.png
    IMG_5872.png
    263.5 KB · Views: 255
  • IMG_5873.jpeg
    IMG_5873.jpeg
    431.2 KB · Views: 251
  • IMG_5874.png
    IMG_5874.png
    218.1 KB · Views: 316
Great write up! Thanks for sharing your experience. I ordered my MYLR in June and was caught off guard as well w/regard to how fast it was delivered. I took delivery 13 days after hitting the purchase button. Way faster than I expected. I managed to get the Wall Charger installed (myself) and my Tesla accessories took about 10 days (crazy that it took less time for you to get the same in AUS). The camera's tone (sepia) is likely due to the hardware version you're on - I'm not 100% sure but it sounds like the China Model Y's are not yet shipping with HW4?

There was a lot to unlearn and a lot to learn transitioning to a Tesla. So far I love the vehicle. The service - not so much. Good luck with yours!

Reactions: MossDaddy
Great write up! Thanks for sharing your experience. I ordered my MYLR in June and was caught off guard as well w/regard to how fast it was delivered. I took delivery 13 days after hitting the purchase button. Way faster than I expected. I managed to get the Wall Charger installed (myself) and my Tesla accessories took about 10 days (crazy that it took less time for you to get the same in AUS). The camera's tone (sepia) is likely due to the hardware version you're on - I'm not 100% sure but it sounds like the China Model Y's are not yet shipping with HW4?

There was a lot to unlearn and a lot to learn transitioning to a Tesla. So far I love the vehicle. The service - not so much. Good luck with yours!
Thanks so much :D - yeah Aus only getting HW3 at this stage - no ETA on HW4 into Aus (from Tesla direct).

Cool, so they sepia type tone is normal, all good. Now to fix the hotspot issue :/

Good morning :) brand new Shanghai build '23 YLR Owner. Thought I'd share my first 2 days experiences, including first major trip.

In Aus the Fed Govt removed a tax which meant that if you took out what's called a novated lease where your car payments + insurance/rego/tyres/servicing etc are taken out of your wage -it reduces the cost of an EV substantially. So, we have always wanted a Y & took the plunge!

Ordered pearl white LR with 19' on 28/7, told late Sept arrival.
Picked up 11/8! Only 2 weeks later!

The order process was quite disjointed, with texts from Tesla often coming in the wrong order eg "your vin has been assigned" & then on the following day "we've assigned a car, your vin will be assigned soon". However, the Tesla customer service response time to text messages etc was pretty fast!

This lightning fast arrival caught us on the hop a little as we hadn't got the wall charger or anything. Scrambled to order:
- mud flaps
- mats
- usb hub
- wheel covers
- console storage organisers
- J1772 adapter (used already & was excellent so easy to do)

Wall charger in process but slow due to building issues. But I have plenty of type 2 chargers nearby to keep topped up (can't get a type 1 for home either as no power to the garage and Strata approval process really slow).

All ordered gear incredibly arrived within 3-4 days (even stuff from the US!).

Picked up late Friday 11/8. Really smooth handover, no gap issues, followed the handover check list that I got from a YouTuber - cust serv guy was quite shocked but really supportive in the process.

Pleased to say - zero build issues whatsoever. No gaps, no scratches, everything clean & 86% charge on the battery. Downloaded the Tessie app based on reviews I read so I could get more stats etc.

First big trip yesterday - 340km round trip, 4 hours of driving. LOVED IT. Used the superchargers - peak output on one in a rural location 120kW which I thought was pretty damn good for the location. The other in Metro Sydney was 174kW (screen grabs of the trip stats attached).

Initial thoughts :
  • the handling was firm but I liked it like that
  • the dual motors sure put out some amazing grunt + torque even in chill mode
  • cameras are great - but the outside ones look like they have a 'sepia' type filter? By that I mean the images have a yellowish tinge. Is that usual?
  • adaptive cruise control is so good! But one big negative is the slow response time to accelerate after slowing / stopping. Often leaves a huge gap. I have it set on 2 but it looks like that is as "adaptive" as it'll get?
  • autopilot was quick & easy to calibrate, and really great.
  • traffic visualisation Inc speed signs was great, but not that effective in Aus on dual lane roads as our speed signs are usually on the left side verge and not on the right, and if you're in the middle or right lane it often didn't pick it up. Not a biggie though.
  • charge process easy. Yes, it's slower then IC refuelling, but if you plan, it's really not an issue. By the time you stretch, take a leak etc, it's almost done
  • the wifi hotspot was really annoying, and I don't know if that's an ioS issue or Tesla. Kept disconnecting and then doesnt auto reconnect. Unsure how to resolve (read the thread on here - seems to be an issue - should I ask Tesla?)
  • the stupid Aus gov made Tesla disable the browser as soon as vehicle is in drive so I couldn't work out a workaround to use Waze or watch Netflix etc for the pax (any hints would be appreciated)
  • the lack of a driver dash display was an issue for like 5 mins - got over it and it doesn't worry me now. I think I'd still look at getting a second one only so the pax can enjoy the main screen (if I can get around the stupid browser disablement) while I can have the driving info on the second

Sorry for the long post but hope you can appreciate my journeys start!
Good write up, informative.

Doesn't matter. You can ask Tesla - or - you can ask the south wall of your garage, the response will be exactly the same.

I believe all Teslas disable the browser while driving, not just an Aussie thing.

Still works in Texas. Always laggy, not worth using at times.

I see. We don't get any free EVSE here, in Canada, either. But the J1772 adaptor is given for free. Many people aren't at their first EV and don't need a new EVSE if they have the adapter.

View attachment 964764

Interesting enough when we picked up our used 2018 Model 3 here in states, there was a J1772 in the glove box in a plastic bag.

I believe all Teslas disable the browser while driving, not just an Aussie thing.
Browser is not disabled while driving in some markets such as USA, South America, Japan & most if not all of Europe. The devices such as “Tesla Android Project” (google it) which put Apple CarPlay in center screen use the web browser. It is disabled while in drive in Australia due to government regulations.