Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Happy to report that V10 supports Plex Streaming

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I received V10 last night followed by another V10 revision this morning (must have been an urgent bug fix!) and I'm extremely happy to report that the V10 Web browser supports Plex streaming!

I have an extensive Plex library so this is awesome news that I can pull my Plex library from the car at any time. To access Plex, just go to Plex and sign in with your Plex on the Tesla Web browser.

And now for some caveats....

Too bad there is no way to turn off the driver's instrument cluster while watching something for a more cinematic feel. Also too bad you can't enable true full screen mode where the MCU display goes all black with the execption of the video. While watching a video, you see the climate controls on the bottom plus a partial map and controls on the top.

Also it seems the Web browser now can't be open in "half screen" mode :( Too bad because I loved being able to use Waze and another app on the MCU at the same time and this is no longer possible because the browser now takes all the space and if you try to make it smaller, it just goes away.

I received V10 last night followed by another V10 revision this morning (must have been an urgent bug fix!) and I'm extremely happy to report that the V10 Web browser supports Plex streaming!

I have an extensive Plex library so this is awesome news that I can pull my Plex library from the car at any time. To access Plex, just go to Plex and sign in with your Plex on the Tesla Web browser.

Too bad there is no way to turn off the driver's instrument cluster while watching something for a more cinematic feel. Also too bad you can't enable true full screen mode where the MCU display goes all black with the execption of the video. While watching a video, you see the climate controls on the bottom plus a partial map and controls on the top.

Also it seems the Web browser now can't be open in "half screen" mode :( Too bad because I loved being able to use Waze and another app on the MCU at the same time and this is no longer possible because the browser now takes all the space and if you try to make it smaller, it just goes away.

I don't know if you are talking just about plex, but when I watch netflix or youtube the instrument cluster goes black, and everything other than the video is black on the 17" display.

Have you checked whether usb music resumes where it left off in V10?

Reactions: Chaz

Seems to be the same behavior as in 9. I've received the initial v10 release and the immediate (next morning) update to v10. It still suffers from the behavior of not resuming when entering the car. As mentioned by some others, the "fix" for this can be to exit the vehicle, close the driver door, then open the driver door. I've triggered resume by doing this.

This is all on an April 2019 (pre-Raven) build.

I tried Plex in our Model 3. I watched live TV, which worked well but with occasional stutters at highest quality. It does play in the browser window (not part of the Theater function) and won't go full screen, so limited performance there. The car was streaming music at the same time, so I had two audio feeds until I paused audio streaming. The full Plex web functionality appeared to be present, though I didn't try everything.

I don't know if you are talking just about plex, but when I watch netflix or youtube the instrument cluster goes black, and everything other than the video is black on the 17" display.

Unfortunately, V10 does not fix the USB music resuming issues :( A few times when I returned to the car, there was no music playing and I had to wait several minutes until the "loading" concluded so I can play music.

They've worked so hard on V10 with all the cool new features but somehow unfortunately could not fix the long standing bug with the music player not resuming USB audio reliably. Hopefully they will fix the music player soon.

The USB music player resuming issue was my one big wish for V10 but being able to access my Plex library from the browser is super cool.

The USB resume bug shouldn't be that difficult to fix - all it would take would be for the media player to periodically store its current position while playing - and then use that when the software resumes.

Evidently the current software is implemented to store the current media player selection/position when the processor goes into sleep mode - but that isn't working - so the media player doesn't get the correct selection/position when resuming (or the software that is supposed to restore last played selection/position is broken, which seems less likely).

This release is supposed to fix some longstanding issues with Bluetooth streaming - but doesn't appear to do anything to address the longstanding requests for improved smartphone integration or fix the obvious USB/media player bugs.

Since we usually have a tablet with us when we are at superchargers on road trips, adding the ability to stream videos on the console display only while the vehicle is parked doesn't provide much benefit, other than getting the audio synced with the video.

Would have preferred more focus on the media player/smartphone integration that is used while the vehicle is in motion - and reduce the interactions drivers are making on their smartphones while driving...

• Love
Reactions: DCEV

I saw this in another thread. It might work for plex.

Watching via the browser limits fullscreen within the browser only, but there is an alternative to watch these fullscreen by opening those links from within youtube, which will take you to those sites at fullscreen. I basically added those links into an empty discussion thread on my personal youtube page.

• Helpful
Wow so you are saying I can create an unlisted private video and post a discussion link to Plex and I can access Plex in true full screen mode that way?!
Apparently. But it doesn't work for all sources. Give plex a try.

From the other thread:

Working:
MoviesAnywhere.com
Vudu.com
PSVue.com/Watch for Live TV

Not working:
HBONow.com
Amazon Prime Video web

• Informative
If the video/audio website works in the browser, then it will work from a youtube link.
ma.jpg
psv.jpg

Yeah for me, Plex is a bigger deal than Netflix or Hulu!

I'm going to try the YouTube comment full screen "hack" for Plex within the YouTube App.

Currently Plex is distracting since the instrument cluster plus other MCU menus are still displayed.