Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla insurance safety score

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Forward collision warning is trash for me in the following scenario:

Two lane neighborhood roads with street parking on a long curve or incline.

Speed and pedal position doesn't matter. Everytime there's a car parked roadside... *alarm-FCW*. And this in on a street thats WIDE. Today, I was below the speed limit, neutral pedal position, and hugging the centerline due to a jogging trail that crosses through. Didn't matter.

Kinda tired of having my FCW score in the yellow or red every month.

I'll probably post the video later, to show exactly when it dinged me.
I get this all the time as well booo

Forward collision warning is trash for me in the following scenario:

Two lane neighborhood roads with street parking on a long curve or incline.

Speed and pedal position doesn't matter. Everytime there's a car parked roadside... *alarm-FCW*. And this in on a street thats WIDE. Today, I was below the speed limit, neutral pedal position, and hugging the centerline due to a jogging trail that crosses through. Didn't matter.

Kinda tired of having my FCW score in the yellow or red every month.

I'll probably post the video later, to show exactly when it dinged me.
You can add me to the list of people tired of this issue. I got the alarm twice on the 2-mile drive home today, and this happens other times as well. Always a bend in a two-lane road with cars parked on the sides, driving slowly and safely, but it doesn't matter - the system freaks out. I don't know when this started - maybe this spring? I suppose I should drive home on the heavy traffic unsafe street instead - at least my insurance wouldn't go up. I wouldn't care, but this causes me to pay more for insurance with Tesla. Ugh. (Let's not get into late night driving - yeah its 5 miles and very empty divided roads, but you know... IT'S UNSAFE(!) Gawd)

Reactions: DC_Mike and gt2690b
Get a dashcam to record - don't trust Tesla Dashcam.
I have been steadily documenting these crazy alerts and false telematic events.
Consumer Reports did a video about the Hard Braking telematic and how it can cause accidents by discouraging braking to avoid an accident:

My latest safety score events - a total of 4 - happened while the car was in service for a slow leaking tire. There were several driving without seat belts, aggressive turns and hard braking.. all by Tesla employees. I dont blame the employees, it is Tesla's Telematics that are the problem. Seat belts are not required on private property, nor should turn or braking events. The events were not unsafe, nor do I think employees were reckless. They were just moving the car around and turning normally. I have no problem with the way employees handled my car - I want to make that clear. I am only concerned about Telematics being too sensitive and being used on private property. What if someone takes their car to a track day? There also must be a mechanism to dispute events - most states require that if they use telematics. Tesla has advised me that they do not accept disputes and not answered when I pointed out the section of law requiring it. I am happy with my car and happy to finally have FSD, just want improvements to telematics.

Not sure if this hack was mentioned, but Safety Score ignores all time while using AP / FSD. This allows you to roll a lot of miles with perfect score... But yeah, with a little attention Tesla could make a great safety score system, which measures actual safety instead of what they've got which is some pretty arbitrary things with thresholds that often are more about the driver prudently avoiding problems than the driver doing unsafe things
I read somewhere that if the driver takes over or disengages AP/FSD you are not scored for either five or ten seconds? If true, using FSD on city streets could help keep your score high; however, I only have AP so that is not an option for me. Can anyone confirm that when using AP/FSD you can get dinged on your safety score? I appear to get dinged for hard breaking even when I barely use the physical brakes to keep from running a red light/stop sign. With a cold battery in the winter time, that could be a big problem since regen braking could be very limited. When I drive down multi-lane city streets with stop lights at every major intersection, my daily score plummets due to following to closely and hard braking. Seems Tesla could use the cameras to help determine when a driving ding is warranted? IMO, Tesla should not score your driving until you are few hundred feet from your home address. That would eliminate dings for moving your car on your own property.

Last edited:
Get a dashcam to record - don't trust Tesla Dashcam.
I have been steadily documenting these crazy alerts and false telematic events.
Consumer Reports did a video about the Hard Braking telematic and how it can cause accidents by discouraging braking to avoid an accident:

My latest safety score events - a total of 4 - happened while the car was in service for a slow leaking tire. There were several driving without seat belts, aggressive turns and hard braking.. all by Tesla employees. I dont blame the employees, it is Tesla's Telematics that are the problem. Seat belts are not required on private property, nor should turn or braking events. The events were not unsafe, nor do I think employees were reckless. They were just moving the car around and turning normally. I have no problem with the way employees handled my car - I want to make that clear. I am only concerned about Telematics being too sensitive and being used on private property. What if someone takes their car to a track day? There also must be a mechanism to dispute events - most states require that if they use telematics. Tesla has advised me that they do not accept disputes and not answered when I pointed out the section of law requiring it. I am happy with my car and happy to finally have FSD, just want improvements to telematics.

Tesla knows the car is in for service they should NOT be scoring driving until the service is complete and they return the car to the owner and re-enable Smartphone App access to the car.

It's been a dozen years since Elon said that Full Self Drive will be fully operational "Soon". When I bought my first Tesla in 2018, the claim was "right around the corner" for FSD. I'm still waiting. Given that, why should I think that Beta software to evaluate driving safety will be any better for the foreseeable future? And if that's the criteria for insurance rates it seems reasonable to expect that somewhere along the line the algorithm will penalize me for some poorly written code. I went with a "traditional" insurer - only because I didn't want the hassle of dealing with yet another Tesla beta product.

Reactions: Target
We purchased our M3 last fall and got Tesla insurance.The lowest monthly safety score was 97 and most months were 98 or 99. The first premium after the two months initial period was $66.32 with a score of 97, the next month was $59.23 with a score of 99. It stayed near $60 for a couple of months and then went to $83.24 with a score of 98. It stayed around $80 through September and then shows $94.19 starting at the end of October. As of tomorrow, I will be on a Nationwide policy which costs about the same, but at the same rate for a year. I elected to use the Nationwide program that gives a discount for using their monitoring app. Their app uses the accelerometer and gps on my phone. It dings you for hard braking, fast acceleration and late night driving. Unlike Tesla, late night starts at midnight. While I sometimes drive after 10 pm, I almost never drive after midnight. If I keep those three factors low, I will get a discount after 80 to 120 days. I've driven 89 miles since I installed the app with 0 for all three measured categories. No more dings for hard braking when I never touched the brake pedal, no more false forward collision warnings or following too close dings The app shows your projected discount every Monday. I doubt it will be more than Tesla and I expect it will be less. We put our 2014 Leaf on the policy and the discount will apply to it. According to my Agent, I can remove the app after about four months. I will have a local agent who actually answers the phone and returns calls.

• Informative
Reactions: MitchMitch
Hard braking needs to be exactly what it says it is" HARD BRAKING". The way mine works is I get dinged for "hard Regen". If I very lightly touch the brake pedal when regen is doing 95% of the barkng, I get dinged. Tesla needs to use brake line pressure not the accelerometer. Accelerometer would be fine most likely win a car that does not have a strong regen. This leads me to not using the brakes when I probably should just to see if the car will stop in time.
I might see what happens if I turn off regen, but why would you want to.
I find that I don't use FSD because I can't improve my safety score on an empty road if I am using FSD. Counter productive. Plus FSD follows to close for me and I am not allowed to lower it's safety score. I want enough room to keep the car behind me from hitting me, if the car in front does something stupid.
I am not a bad driver. Safety Score usually 97-100. Two million miles truck driving with a clean record and no passenger vehicle citation for dozens of years.
Also the car needs to display following distance warnings. If Freightliner can do it, Tesla should be able to. Just make the tongue change colors. Gray for safe following, yellow for getting too close. and red if you are too close. Also give a few seconds to reestablish safe following distance when someone cuts you off before dinging your safety score. The onboard computer is easily capable of all of this. The multicolored tongue could be on all Tesla's, not just FSD, to make all Tesla drivers safer. I would like to email this to Tesla engineers, but they seem to be well shielded from the owners.
If they are going to stick with accelerometer, slowing needs to be .3g above whatever slowing regen is providing. Perhaps I can volunteer for the Safety Score 3.0 team!

Last edited:
Reactions: MitchMitch
I keep getting collision warnings from my own parked motorhome which is in my driveway as I pull up. It is nuts. I am documenting with a separate dash camera since the Tesla dashcam does not save more than an hour, regardless of storage available, and most events you dont know about until you look at the safety score in the app much later. You cant tell me this isnt intentional.

I started getting a bunch of bogus FCW's after a software update so I tried a camera calibration and now it's much better. I did notice that after 6 months my premiums went up 30% for the same 80 safety score, so I'll probably switch this car over to the same policy my other cars are on. Even with a teen driver in the house Liberty Mutual is quoting lower than I'll get if my score drops below 70, but just for the fun of it I'm going to wait until I can do a track day with it and see how bad it can be :)

Forgive me being a Tesla newbie. Is Safety Score a software feature included in every Tesla ? And the score given by this software is used to determine insurance rate the owner has to pay if he/she buy car insurance from Tesla ?
I buy car insurance elsewhere, is this score sent to my insurance company to determine my rate ?

I have had my car only for couple of days and typical commute is very short (10 - 15 minutes) going to work and then back, I seemed to be dinged for hard breaking at the start of every trip for using the break while backing out of a parking spot or my own garage, this is just insane!

I have had my car only for couple of days and typical commute is very short (10 - 15 minutes) going to work and then back, I seemed to be dinged for hard breaking at the start of every trip for using the break while backing out of a parking spot or my own garage, this is just insane!
If you use Tesla insurance, document everything because they state what they claim the ding is for in general terms and the time to the minute, but refuse any provide further information. Tesla should save the video, location, details of "ding" and exact time to the second, but they will not. I installed another camera system and record the CAN bus data and document every one as best as I can. Without exact time and location, it is hard to be sure sometimes.
States that allow telematics based insurance have a requirement for disputes. Tesla has refused to follow it in my state and I have appealed to the Insurance Commission. They usually do not answer my inquiry and when they do, they say they do not process disputes. They have a system to report FSD issues that captures lots of data and video for them to review to fix issues, but do not for insurance.. probably because they are profiting from it.

Even with a score of 90, Tesla insurance has worked cheaper for me, I am going to shop around to see if I get a better deal. I feel I am not ablet o fully enjoy the 650 ponies because of the big brother always watching me!

I had a Hard Braking event just after a right on red when the vehicle was accelerating fast on FSD. I received a text and wanted to pull over to check it, so I touched the brake to turn off FSD and let regen slow me to a stop, which it did. I did not have my foot on the brake as it stopped. The combination of rapid acceleration and slowing triggered a Hard Braking event. I reviewed Tesla Fi data that shows regen was active.
The Hard Braking shows in the app, but the Safety Score did not change.

• Informative
Reactions: Hiline