Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Resurrecting the zombie False Forward Collision Warning

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I am amazed at the collision warnings that I am getting and the undue hesitancy of Autopilot. The one that really bugs me is:
During manual drive: When the car ahead of me is turning off to the right into a driveway or road, etc and I get a collision warning. The only way that I could possible crash into that vehicle is if I purposefully swerved into it! I wouldn't care too much except for the fact it dinged me 2 points on the safety score.
The reason I drove manually is because the Tesla route would have me cut across 3 busy lanes of traffic where the lanes are solid lines (no crossing) or a U-turn on another very busy road. Neither choices make sense. That 2 point drop cost $5 on the Tesla insurance.
Any attorney out there bored and what to set up a class action law suit! Haha! 🤣

Yeah the safety score is a good idea, much better than the simple penis surcharge that other companies use, but it needs vastly more refinement.

What bugs me is that it dings me every time I touch the brake pedal, no matter how lightly. Meanwhile I can blow thru a red light at twice the legal speed limit on the wrong side of the road just as a school bus unloads in the middle of an active construction zone and it won't ding me at all (assuming the sun is up and I don't use the brakes.)

• Funny
Reactions: cyborgLIS
I am amazed at the collision warnings that I am getting and the undue hesitancy of Autopilot. The one that really bugs me is:
During manual drive: When the car ahead of me is turning off to the right into a driveway or road, etc and I get a collision warning. The only way that I could possible crash into that vehicle is if I purposefully swerved into it! I wouldn't care too much except for the fact it dinged me 2 points on the safety score.
The reason I drove manually is because the Tesla route would have me cut across 3 busy lanes of traffic where the lanes are solid lines (no crossing) or a U-turn on another very busy road. Neither choices make sense. That 2 point drop cost $5 on the Tesla insurance.
Any attorney out there bored and what to set up a class action law suit! Haha! 🤣

Two years ago, when my Model 3 was new, I too was seeing collision warnings and emergency braking when using Autopilot. I posted a question here on this forum and got an excellent answer. It's post #4 from Knightshade:

Forward collision warning

Since then the language in the owner's manual has changed. A quick check just now finds references to using Autosteer "on a controlled-access highway (a main highway on which road users enter and exit using on-ramps and off-ramps).

Since then I only use Autopilot on controlled access highways. I was too worried about being rear-ended because Autopilot applied emergency braking with someone following me closely.

Unfortunately, this is how it works, even for FSDb in the city, the car drives exactly like that ... tap on the brake, and even if there is plenty of space between the cars, FSDb will try to swerve to the left when passing the turned car in the front, this is the most stupid and unnerving behaviors, perhaps this is how the engineers drive. If you drive manually, always tap on the brake even if you don't need to, but you may get a hard braking ding though 🤣

I get a forward collision warning almost every day and every one of them is a false positive. I was braking to stop at a stoplight and there was a car parked at the light. I was already slowing down when I got the FCW. I immediately took my foot off the gas (didn't touch the brakes) and came to a stop over two car lengths behind the car in front of me. If I can use only regen braking to stop my car far behind the car in front of me.... there was no forward collision risk.

I get forward collision warnings when passing cars. I get them at stop lights.

I got a forward collision warning going around a corner. There was a parked car on the side of the road in front of me that the Tesla thought I was going to hit. I was only going 20 mph and was staying in my lane, but the car was "in front of me" parked on the side of the street. I turned and was fine, but the FCW went off.

It's ridiculous.

I don't remember having this problem until I got Tesla insurance.

I contacted the service center and my car is "working fine."

I honestly think Tesla decreases the FCW params in the people who buy insurance just to jack up their rates.

Reactions: alaminsumon
May be you are right, I see every month when the cycle is about to end 2 or 3 days before I used to get this false FCW which dinged my score and eventually Jacking up my insurance rate for the next month.
Recently Tesla switched me over to Safety Score Version 2.0. With Version 1.2, I'd average 1 FCW/month, approximately. But with 2.0, I got four in one day recently. Either I was having a particularly bad day, or Tesla has made the algorithm quite a bit more aggressive! Maybe Elon is trying to reverse the compressed margins with these new tricks ;-)

Recently Tesla switched me over to Safety Score Version 2.0. With Version 1.2, I'd average 1 FCW/month, approximately. But with 2.0, I got four in one day recently. Either I was having a particularly bad day, or Tesla has made the algorithm quite a bit more aggressive! Maybe Elon is trying to reverse the compressed margins with these new tricks ;-)
How do you get to 2.0? Are your current 6 months up for renewal, or just out of the blue, they upgraded you. Last time when they upgrade mine from 1.1 to 1.2, the safety score starts over from 100. FCW is so annoying, last month on a 6 miles trip and got dinged and took close to a month to get back to 100 and of course have to pay more the next month. I am thinking about switching (even have to pay more), my underwriter is redpoint austin which probably at the bottom list of insurer, together with horrendous customer service of Tesla, SC chains, just switching to another one to give me less worries.

How do you get to 2.0? Are your current 6 months up for renewal, or just out of the blue, they upgraded you. Last time when they upgrade mine from 1.1 to 1.2, the safety score starts over from 100. FCW is so annoying, last month on a 6 miles trip and got dinged and took close to a month to get back to 100 and of course have to pay more the next month. I am thinking about switching (even have to pay more), my underwriter is redpoint austin which probably at the bottom list of insurer, together with horrendous customer service of Tesla, SC chains, just switching to another one to give me less worries.
Out of the blue, they just told me that I've been moved to version 2.0. As I said earlier, it hasn't helped me a bit so far. And my safety score didn't start at 100. It was undefined until after my first trip.

My wife likes driving our new M3. However, she is increasingly getting upset about the random Forward Collision Warnings she is getting driving in town. We are trying to figure out what sets it off but there seems to be no rhyme or reason. And, of course, every time that happens our Tesla insurance is going up. Not helpful.
Is there a software update that addresses this issue?

We might have figured out why my wife gets so many FCWs.

She gets them when the car rolls up to stop behind another car using one pedal braking. She gets completely off the accelerator to slow down and then presses again when the one pedal driving ends up stopping too far behind the car ahead. Even though she is several car lengths behind the car in front, she must be accelerating just a little bit too hard and the software freaks out. I advised her to modulate the accelerator pedal vs getting completely off it. We'll see how that work.