Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Hard cargo cover?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hi, I’d like to find a hard rear cargo cover to reduce road noise and eliminate visibility into the trunk area. The only one I can find is from TeslaStuff and they haven’t responded to my emails, so I’m not sure if they’re still in business.

Does anyone know of any alternatives?

Was just looking for one of these the other day. Couldn't find a hard cover, but plenty of retractable ones listed on amazon.
Yeah I don’t like the soft covers because they look cheap and you have to stick items on the side to make it work and I think those look bad too. I also think a hard cover would lower road noise quite a bit more. The TeslaStuff cover looks perfect for what I want, I’m just not sure if they’re still in business.

I purchased a TeslaStuff hard cover. I installed it, and found it to be more cumbersome than the roll up covers. You might prefer it.

Rampancy: If you're interested, I can pack it up and send it to you, w/ all of the hardware. Just PM me to discuss cost...shipping.

I purchased a TeslaStuff hard cover. I installed it, and found it to be more cumbersome than the roll up covers. You might prefer it.

Rampancy: If you're interested, I can pack it up and send it to you, w/ all of the hardware. Just PM me to discuss cost...shipping.

Thanks, why do you find it cumbersome? Very curious on your thoughts! I could imagine an issue if you often want to transport items that are taller than the cover.

Ironic, I actually just installed the Temai one yesterday. I wasn't a fan of the retractable one, felt cheap, did nothing for noise, and was annoying to try closing it shut with 1 hand.

It definitely seems to help with vibrational/rear wheel noise after one trip, especially when anything is in the cargo area that has potential to vibrate. This one is much more sturdy and I like that it has a flap that folds in half unlike any others. The felt material seems to act as a noise insulator. I chose this one over the TeslaStuff one mostly because it looks more "OEM" - I don't like the idea of hooks and 3D printed things dangling all over the place. I also had concerns that noise would come through the sides of the TeslaStuff one, since each end has a gap between the trim. This Temai one also very closely resembles the OEM model S cargo cover, and not too far off from the OEM one introduced in the China Model Y.

I was also toying with the idea of buying the "Auto-Lift kit for the Tesla Model S Parcel Shelf" which would make it lift up just like the TeslaStuff one, if the size worked out.

Not my pictures, but this is what it looks like closed/folded open.

Attachments

• 619kg2BDcuL._AC_SL1080_.jpg
    619kg2BDcuL._AC_SL1080_.jpg
    113.6 KB · Views: 357
  • 81u3rM6xIrL.jpg
    81u3rM6xIrL.jpg
    340.8 KB · Views: 213
  • 718yPsEjjbL.jpg
    718yPsEjjbL.jpg
    235.3 KB · Views: 226
Ironic, I actually just installed the Temai one yesterday. I wasn't a fan of the retractable one, felt cheap, did nothing for noise, and was annoying to try closing it shut with 1 hand.

It definitely seems to help with vibrational/rear wheel noise after one trip, especially when anything is in the cargo area that has potential to vibrate. This one is much more sturdy and I like that it has a flap that folds in half unlike any others. The felt material seems to act as a noise insulator. I chose this one over the TeslaStuff one mostly because it looks more "OEM" - I don't like the idea of hooks and 3D printed things dangling all over the place. I also had concerns that noise would come through the sides of the TeslaStuff one, since each end has a gap between the trim. This Temai one also very closely resembles the OEM model S cargo cover, and not too far off from the OEM one introduced in the China Model Y.

I was also toying with the idea of buying the "Auto-Lift kit for the Tesla Model S Parcel Shelf" which would make it lift up just like the TeslaStuff one, if the size worked out.

Not my pictures, but this is what it looks like closed/folded open.
Thanks for the input, valid points and that does look very nice. How was it attaching the rails to hold it up? And does it vibrate at all while driving?

Thanks for the input, valid points and that does look very nice. How was it attaching the rails to hold it up? And does it vibrate at all while driving?
No vibrational noise while driving from the shelf cover itself. The side pieces are plastic and come with 3M tape pre-applied, just need to align, peel and stick. The cover itself is a tight fit, so installing the cover actually pushes each side against the trim which makes it easier since you really don't need to spend too much time pressing against the side pieces. I think they advertise that the shelf cover itself can hold ~55 lbs on top of it, so it is definitely sturdy (not that you would ever really need to put stuff on top of it). They also make an attachment that turns the cover into a table when you remove it, which would be cool if you went camping (I don't).

Rampancy: the TeslaStuff harcover hangs from the 2nd row headrests, and rests on hooks that placed under the hatch rubber seal. In my opinion, it moves around too much since it's not supported very well. Since it's attached to the 2nd row seats, it has to be unhooked any time I want to fold those seatbacks forward. I find the roll-up cover to be more convenient.
After viewing the Temai one, I would probably prefer it, but not for $219. It looks like the best design for sound isolation, as well.

Thanks for the feedback guys, I’ll stay away from the TeslaStuff one. I did find another hard cover here https://www.taptes.com/collections/new-arrivals-model-y-accessories/products/taptes®-retractable-rear-trunk-privacy-cover-for-tesla-model-y.

But this one is more expensive and looks like it might be exactly the same?

Wish Tesla had their hard cover available.

No vibrational noise while driving from the shelf cover itself. The side pieces are plastic and come with 3M tape pre-applied, just need to align, peel and stick. The cover itself is a tight fit, so installing the cover actually pushes each side against the trim which makes it easier since you really don't need to spend too much time pressing against the side pieces. I think they advertise that the shelf cover itself can hold ~55 lbs on top of it, so it is definitely sturdy (not that you would ever really need to put stuff on top of it). They also make an attachment that turns the cover into a table when you remove it, which would be cool if you went camping (I don't).
Now that would have been ironic.

Wanted to update this thread but I can’t seem to edit the original post. Turns out TeslaStuff is definitely still in business, unfortunately the emails sent straight to my spam folder. Something to keep an eye on if you’re someone looking to buy one of these and happen to bump into this thread in the future. Steve seems like a great guy and provided a lot of information in his response.