Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Has Any P3D+ Owners Gotten Carbon Fiber Spoiler?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
mod note: some posts moved to snippiness. Not all posts were snippy, but regretfully were part of a subconversation that didn’t belong here, so they were also moved. Collateral damage, unfortunately because a few were very respectful comments.

Thanks for understanding and please treat each other well.

Last edited:
Most likely the edge of the spoiler was rubbing against the paint during adjustment

Yes there are gaps on top and bottom. The top gap is ~ .203->.356mm using the feeler gauge. The bottom gap is a lot bigger though, some over .660mm

Curious about that since won't that mean water will flow into the gap and corrode away at the adhesive tape? Seems like a potential flaw. I'd say my gap is closer to 1 to 2 mm though. And more on the top.middle.

So I took mine in today to have them see if they could fix the install. The tesla guy pretty much told me that all the spoilers they are getting are fitting differently. He tests different spoilers dry fit and they get all different issues. He also mentioned my install was one of the better ones. I mean WTF.........

Sounds like we have to complain to Tesla corporate to make these right because the tesla guy had 0% confidence he could replace it and make it better.

So I took mine in today to have them see if they could fix the install. The tesla guy pretty much told me that all the spoilers they are getting are fitting differently. He tests different spoilers dry fit and they get all different issues. He also mentioned my install was one of the better ones. I mean WTF.........

Sounds like we have to complain to Tesla corporate to make these right because the tesla guy had 0% confidence he could replace it and make it better.

Well that sucks. I guess that’s why they are still prototypes. Yes on my work order the spoiler is listed as a prototype.

jesus this is ridiculous. when i took delivery of my car in september they said 'spoilers next month'. then it was november. then january. then 'sometime in q1', then 'possibly q2'. now i'm reading they aren't even quality parts.

WHY IS NOBODY HOLDING THEM ACCOUNTABLE?

Reactions: Skione65
Just noticed a notification in the app that my spoiler and badge are now ready for installation. Below is the text:

"Your Dual Motor badge and carbon-fiber rear spoiler are now ready for installation.

Schedule a service appointment in your Tesla app or your Tesla Account to complete the installation. If you have an existing appointment, there is no need to schedule a separate one."

After seeing the recent installs, I have to admit I'm a bit nervous to rush in and get my spoiler installed. Already have an existing appointment for March 6th, so I hope they've figured out the installation by then.

• Informative
Reactions: Jaywlker
mod note: some posts moved to snippiness. Not all posts were snippy, but regretfully were part of a subconversation that didn’t belong here, so they were also moved. Collateral damage, unfortunately because a few were very respectful comments.

Thanks for understanding and please treat each other well.
If you are talking about me, thanks, i resolved it privately

Reactions: Jaywlker
good luck guys. I expected totally different feedback visiting the service center today. Earlier post that got his install fixed had me hopeful. Make sure they're very careful on the edges. The carbon fiber edge seems to chip off paint very easily.

I'm going to send an email to corporate later. It's still ridiculous that the advice I got was to probably be happy with the install I got because there was no guarantee they could fix it. Not because the service guys can't do the job. It's because the part fit variance is too horrible......

Is there any way to “dry fit” these spoilers to check and see if the resultant fit and way the Spoiler sits on the deck lid (to avoid the ‘gutter guard’ effect) along with the edge issues will be satisfactory before actual install and peeling the backing of the 3M adehesive tape? Maybe if enough of us start refusing the horrendous part fits due to bad manufacturing they’ll straighten the issue out. Someone said his work order showed ‘Prototype’ on the Spoiler listing .....what’s up with that? But then again looking at the “roof rack gate” debacle I’m not to confident.

Ski