Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Has Any P3D+ Owners Gotten Carbon Fiber Spoiler?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
In my case I asked if I could bring it in to get it done but they insisted on doing it via mobile tech. They're also insisting on doing the fix via mobile tech. I think this is a huge mistake as I really think you need 2 people doing the install to get this right.

I agree that 2 people is required to install properly, or Tesla updates the alignment tool so that the spoiler can be slide into place at the correct angle

• Informative
Reactions: Skione65
Mobile tech came again (with another pair of hands) and that definitely made aligning the spoiler a lot easier. See attached.

Most of the “scratches” are really just smudges. With that been said my car was delivered to me with a lot of light scratches at the clear coat level. They were most likely due to improper washing prior of delivery. I have been waiting for the spoiler to be delivered so that I can do proper paint correction + ceramic coating

@wokuku,

Man that looks good! Much improved. Jealous...can’t wait to get mine.

Ski

Just had the spoiler installed from the mobile tech. Unfortunately the tech messed up when putting the spoiler in and the driver side lifts up by couple mm (passenger side was perfect). The tech even managed to chip the paint while trying to fix the problem. He is going to come back later with another tech to help with the install and fix the chip.

The tech had an alignment tool that is supposed to help with aligning the spoiler. I don’t think it helped much as it doesn’t align the spoiler while putting it in.
Looks pretty good! Hopefully they’ll get it right by the time they get to mine, even though I received my car in “October” lol

i took delivery end of sept and i'm also in the bay area. tesla tells me they go by vin/date purchased but when i see these types of things i wonder.

is the p3d your first tesla?

Yup. First Tesla. They probably do go by vin/delivery date as they receive the spoilers normally. That is unless the sc advisor tells the mobile tech team to install on specific vehicle, which is what happened in my case.

From my experience as a trial lawyer: no jury is going to give you anything because you accepted the car without the spoiler. A judge could easily find the plaintiff responsible for defendant Tesla’s attorneys’ fees. Not an advisable course of action.

I disagree. We accepted the cars with a promise of the spoiler to come. I would file the case not just for breach of contract, but for fraud. Tesla knew they had no spoilers coming anytime soon. At the very least we could get the value prorated. Slam dunk. I have 40 years as a trial lawyer.

Reactions: Jaywlker
I disagree. We accepted the cars with a promise of the spoiler to come. I would file the case not just for breach of contract, but for fraud. Tesla knew they had no spoilers coming anytime soon. At the very least we could get the value prorated. Slam dunk. I have 40 years as a trial lawyer.

I respectfully disagree. Maybe you should prove me wrong by leading the charge. Best of luck if you do!

• Love
Reactions: MXWing
Just had the spoiler installed from the mobile tech. Unfortunately the tech messed up when putting the spoiler in and the driver side lifts up by couple mm (passenger side was perfect). The tech even managed to chip the paint while trying to fix the problem. He is going to come back later with another tech to help with the install and fix the chip.

The tech had an alignment tool that is supposed to help with aligning the spoiler. I don’t think it helped much as it doesn’t align the spoiler while putting it in.

Paint chip actually happened to mine as well with the install. sigh...........

Does yours have any gap on the top between the trunk lid and the spoiler (especially in the middle)?

• Informative
Paint chip actually happened to mine as well with the install. sigh...........

Does yours have any gap on the top between the trunk lid and the spoiler (especially in the middle)?

How did they chip the paint? Did they have to force the old spoiler off. Want to make sure they avoid doing that to mine when they come out on Saturday to fix it. Kind of crazy that they delayed this so long to "re-work" things and still can't get it right. It's not like spoiler installs like this are new tech.

• Informative
How did they chip the paint? Did they have to force the old spoiler off. Want to make sure they avoid doing that to mine when they come out on Saturday to fix it. Kind of crazy that they delayed this so long to "re-work" things and still can't get it right. It's not like spoiler installs like this are new tech.

The sides when adjusting it looks like since his paint chip look exactly like mine

• Informative
Can anyone with the spoiler confirm if there is any gap on the top and the trunk lid when attached? Nobody with install posts seems to be responding
I'd imagine the gap in your install will end up like the cracks between the sofa with a bunch of loose change and skittles. You should head down to your local Tesla and look at the demo cars. If something feels wrong to you, then it probably is.

• Informative
From the socal mobile install event a few weeks back.

Attachments

• IMG_20190209_102316.jpg
    IMG_20190209_102316.jpg
    418.4 KB · Views: 108
The sides when adjusting it looks like since his paint chip look exactly like mine

Most likely the edge of the spoiler was rubbing against the paint during adjustment

Can anyone with the spoiler confirm if there is any gap on the top and the trunk lid when attached? Nobody with install posts seems to be responding

Yes there are gaps on top and bottom. The top gap is ~ .203->.356mm using the feeler gauge. The bottom gap is a lot bigger though, some over .660mm

I am pretty sure it isn’t easy to take off the spoiler once it is fully taped in. I would put some painter tape right between the edge of the spoilers and the trunk. That should prevent any paint chipping due to rubbing.

Reactions: Daniel F
I want my spoiler too. Del date nov 14th. We back on topic ?

when i pickup my long range model 3 from service last Thursday the adviser was on the phone telling a customer they needed a new tire then asked if they wanted there spoiler and badge installed. Sounded like the person on the other end of the phone call sounded surprised. Maybe try calling ur service center