Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Has anyone actually driven a Roadster from the SF Bay Area to Lake Tahoe?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I noticed that a previous poster decided to abandon this trip. Has anyone actually driven this route?
evtripplanner.com claims it is a 6081 ft net elevation gain with 17188 ft in ascents and 11103ft in descents with 135kWH used.
Seems like a few charging stops will be needed - I estimate at least 3 stops with full charges to be safe.

So, a data point, assuming you're going to the North Shore area (up I-80)... My car was driven from South SF to North Auburn (elevation 1200'), a distance of 128.8 mi on one Standard charge, at an average speed of 66.8 mi/hr, according to the logs. The car rolled in with 6 ideal miles left (still in Standard mode)...

So a Range charge, or slightly more restrained driving, can get you here pretty reliably. Perhaps charge at Clipper Creek, then you're on your own. You still have another 80 miles to go before you can touch the water, and another 5,000' elevation to gain and nothing much between here and Truckee (68 miles) for charging. Should work, but you might break out the slide rule to see what the wh/mi per 1,000 ft elevation gain works out to first. Maybe a second range charge for the second leg, or grab a boost in Truckee, so you can tour a bit when you arrive. So I think it can be done with only two charges, depending on your exact start and end points, if you pick a good mid-point. Recharging earlier (say, in Roseville at the Mall), would make the first leg easier, and the second harder.

Of course, the reverse trip is almost all downhill. Have fun!

I've tried evtripplanner a few times, and while it gives pretty reasonable numbers for Model S, it's completely out to left field for Roadsters. For instance, a drive that I commonly do here shows up as 49 kWh in the S, 79 in the Roadster. That's clearly way, way off because I do it on a single charge, and Roadsters don't have anything close to 79 kWh packs. I'm not sure what's wrong with it, but it's useless for Roadsters.

I've tried evtripplanner a few times, and while it gives pretty reasonable numbers for Model S, it's completely out to left field for Roadsters. For instance, a drive that I commonly do here shows up as 49 kWh in the S, 79 in the Roadster. That's clearly way, way off because I do it on a single charge, and Roadsters don't have anything close to 79 kWh packs. I'm not sure what's wrong with it, but it's useless for Roadsters.
I echo this. I've made a routine 204 mile drive in my Roadster probably 14 times now. With a net elevation change of 10 feet, and adjusting the speed multiplier to match my actual time, the energy use calculation comes out at twice my actual experience. I sent my stats into the website and got a thankful response with a note that they were still building up their knowledge on the Roadster's performance, but it doesn't look like anything has changed yet.

I've done it 3 times. Oakland to montreaux = 210 miles
Stopped in Davis to range charge for 2 hours. 70 amp charger

EVChargerMaps

Charged at house overnight.

On the way back I made it home without stopping when the car was new. Other two times I have stopped at various slow chargers for an hour to eat and make it safely home