Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Has anyone connected up pins 9 and/or 10 on the towing electrics on a 3?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

Cardo

Sep 22, 2020
Surrey, UK
The UK/EU spec Model 3 with tow bar only has pins 1 - 8 wired up. This services the mandatory lights, however doesn‘t provide for permanent/switched 12v to the trailer.

I’ve had a google and can’t find anything relevant, so I was wondering whether anyone has wired up pins 9 and/or 10 themselves? I’m a little surprised I can’t find anything in respect of this.

I’ve even found this link which appears to be an official Tesla manual on how to access a switched 12v supply from under the arm rest. https://static.abax.com/cdn/ff/gDsv...6cJuY5rLVKwNE3TKwADwvyfGJ1jRxohNzKS4kEUF6.pdf

Has anyone done this? I’m wondering how feasible it is, or whether it’s even possible to get to the back of the pins on the trailer electrics socket.

Reactions: gosub10
The UK/EU spec Model 3 with tow bar only has pins 1 - 8 wired up. This services the mandatory lights, however doesn‘t provide for permanent/switched 12v to the trailer.

I’ve had a google and can’t find anything relevant, so I was wondering whether anyone has wired up pins 9 and/or 10 themselves? I’m a little surprised I can’t find anything in respect of this.

I’ve even found this link which appears to be an official Tesla manual on how to access a switched 12v supply from under the arm rest. https://static.abax.com/cdn/ff/gDsv...6cJuY5rLVKwNE3TKwADwvyfGJ1jRxohNzKS4kEUF6.pdf

Has anyone done this? I’m wondering how feasible it is, or whether it’s even possible to get to the back of the pins on the trailer electrics socket.
Did you ever find anything out on this? I'm thinking about making a short 13pin extension lead and putting 13v onto the perm live pin caravan side (just to run Alko ATC)

Did you ever find anything out on this? I'm thinking about making a short 13pin extension lead and putting 13v onto the perm live pin caravan side (just to run Alko ATC)
Nothing. Bizarrely, nobody seems to have done this and posted about it on the internet. Bearing in mind how many people carry out modifications, I’m quite surprised I couldn’t find anything!

Nothing. Bizarrely, nobody seems to have done this and posted about it on the internet. Bearing in mind how many people carry out modifications, I’m quite surprised I couldn’t find anything!
I stumbled across this some time ago: Model 3 Inverter Power Connection

I just noted its reference to the DC connection under the rear seat for if I ever needed one. I've not checked it out for technical correctness. Might be a starting point. I assume that you're just wanting '12V', and the inverter issues he discusses are not directly relevant (but would be if there as an inverter on whatever was on the hitch).

Not sure what the impact of the '16V' lithium battery on more recent Teslas might be. Everything connected would have to be able to take 16V anyway.

I stumbled across this some time ago: Model 3 Inverter Power Connection

I just noted its reference to the DC connection under the rear seat for if I ever needed one. I've not checked it out for technical correctness. Might be a starting point. I assume that you're just wanting '12V', and the inverter issues he discusses are not directly relevant (but would be if there as an inverter on whatever was on the hitch).

Not sure what the impact of the '16V' lithium battery on more recent Teslas might be. Everything connected would have to be able to take 16V anyway.
For the M3 there’s an “official” 12v take off from the 12v supply under the armrest. There’s a Tesla service manual that shows how to access it. However, you’d then need to run a cable from there all the way to the 13pin socket. I haven’t had a good look at this so don’t know how accessible the rear of the socket is in order to wire up any extra pins. Also, to do it properly, you’d want to wire up both the 12v live and 12v switched pins.

On a car with LiIon LV battery I wouldn’t know where to begin!

For the M3 there’s an “official” 12v take off from the 12v supply under the armrest. There’s a Tesla service manual that shows how to access it. However, you’d then need to run a cable from there all the way to the 13pin socket. I haven’t had a good look at this so don’t know how accessible the rear of the socket is in order to wire up any extra pins. Also, to do it properly, you’d want to wire up both the 12v live and 12v switched pins.

On a car with LiIon LV battery I wouldn’t know where to begin!
You’d need to remove the bumper to unplug the socket from the ECU but it’s definitely accessible.