Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Has anyone driven both an SR+ and new RWD Model 3?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I’ve had both, a 2021 SR+ LFP (September 2021 build) and a 2022 RWD (November 2021 build). The 2022 car feels slower off the line when you floor it, almost as if they’re reigning in the power. At speed, I can’t tell the difference.
This is pretty much what I expected. Thanks for your input! After speaking with my wife again, it seems likely we are going with the RWD model. As much as I want to go with the LR AWD (with AB), the performance difference is not worth the extra $8k+ out of the door to her. Especially since she would be giving up red for white as well in this case. (Note: Pricing is not in line with current pricing. These orders were made a couple of months ago before some of the recent increases)

You make good points. I also owned all 3 and ended up with the nca as my daily (i only charge to 70pct daily) . Lfp 5.3 vs nca 5.3 is a close call both have pros. Curious how you'd rank the undriven 5.8 lfp?
I personally would take 2021 LFP SR+ over 2022 LFP. 19 miles may be alot for some people, but for me, 0.5 seconds is something you can't get. 253 miles under 99.9% of circumstances is more than sufficient for most drivers. Tesla charges 2000 for acceleration boost for 0.5 second faster on Long range models, so is 19 miles worth 2000? Now some people may argue that heated steering wheel and rear heated seats are important, but they're not that important for me especially I normally heat up the car before I enter ( Can't believe other companies charge for that).

Strictly personal preference.

I care about driving dynamics including acceleration but 0-60 is quite a poor proxy for the real world.

The most direct ICE competitor to a 3SR+ is a RWD 330i, which on paper is almost exactly as quick from a standstill (5.4 seconds 0-60). But IRL i rarely have reason + opportunity to gun it from a standstill, and the 330i is much less quick when I need it most.

The other day I was on an on-ramp and I noticed the SUV previously tooling in the right lane accelerating to … cut me off? Because… reasons? Anyway in two blinks of an eye I’d put so much space between us that he’d given up.

In some ways driving IRL is kinda binary. Your car either has the dynamics (power, traction, grip, handling, etc) to do the things you want to, or it doesn’t.

I’d be more concerned about the reported weight gain. But 5.3 vs 5.8 in 0-60 doesn’t really tell me much at all.
I try to describe the drive-ability to other mid-life adults as ‘point and shoot’ (dating myself, I know) but they just don’t get it until they drive it. Even my RWD3 is more like a motorcycle as you just get your front end beyond theirs and the ‘spacially-challenged’ they are quickly behind you. I see used Porsche Macan S’s that are dropping to <$25k and I’m tempted, but not enough.

Reactions: tm1v2