Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model 3 RWD vs Model 3 LR?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Snow in the RWD is no problem in snow and ice or cold. The problem is usually 12 inches behind the steering wheel.

This is something I've been wondering about. I have a 19 model 3 and, and we are about to buy my wife one. I can't decide if she should get a new 2023 rwd or a 2020 used awd. I've tried convincing her to just buy an and new but she is too cheap. Thoughts?

Reactions: Eric33432
Thanks all for your thoughts. Given my use case, I just don’t think the AWD is worth it no matter how much I’d like the performance increase. I just don’t drive on enough open roads to justify it, especially when we can take out the Y on those days.

Do most of the stores offer test drives of both or do they usually only have the higher end models?

The UTC store let me drive both the LFP RWD and LR last year. I took the LR but in your case the RWD is fine.

My thoughts

1) The RWD is still pretty darn quick. I'm now using the LR in 'Chill mode' anyway.
2) But the AWD is a bit smoother on acceleration, as it comes from both motors. With the RWD there is more weight transfer. This was unexpected.
3) the audio on the LR is significantly better to me---I'm an audiophile so it mattered to me, and I listen to classical which demands a high quality sound to be natural.

But now there are aftermarket products to upgrade the audio on the RWD.

If there are any financial constraints or alternatives for your spending, go for the RWD, it's still extremely similar. Make sure though to rotate the tires rigorously, as the rear tires will wear significantly faster in the RWD.

This is something I've been wondering about. I have a 19 model 3 and, and we are about to buy my wife one. I can't decide if she should get a new 2023 rwd or a 2020 used awd. I've tried convincing her to just buy an and new but she is too cheap. Thoughts?
the new one has a high voltage battery which will last longer, and a low voltage battery which will last longer. Older ones have lead acid that can die unexpectedly. The new one is also a lithium ion which will probably last the lifetime of the car.

I agree with you the new RWD is probably better, especially at the current prices. The traction control is excellent. Make sure to switch to winter tires if you have snow, that makes more of a difference than AWD.

How about in snow? M3 AWD must make a difference
No, tires make a difference. Either get some dedicated winter tires or some all weather tires like Michelin's CrossCilmate 2s, Vredestein Quatrac pros or Nokian Seasonproof. AWD will not brake or turn better. It will just get you into trouble faster.

Germans ask, "You use the same tires year 'round? Really?"

Guys, RWD tire rotation at approx 6500 miles as Tesla advices?
Rotate tires when the wear dictates it. Depends on how heavy a foot you have. About a third of the cars I've owned never required it. Get a depth gauge. They're cheap.

My 2021 SR+ had a wear delta of about 1mm F/R after 8,000 miles. I had it done then. The RWD models will wear the rears faster as they are doing all of the driving and 90% of the braking. If you are optimizing the regen.

We have one of each.

The RWD makes more sense in many ways, but I have to admit that I miss the acceleration when I drive the RWD. I rarely punch the accelerator, but when I do, it's fun.

20221028_165319.jpg

Fun factor wise:

RWD - fun
LR AWD - very fun..puts a big smile every time
LR AWD/boost - extreme fun…smile to borderline chuckle.
M3P - crazy…makes one laugh every time

I have a 22’ LR w/accelboost. I had a rwd loaner for 3 days. Things I noticed immediately:

- stereo was miles apart. The LR stereo with its 2 amps, 14 speakers incl sub is wonderful experience of clean, crisp and amazing punch all in one. The rwd sounded like all my Eq bars were all set to flat Vs the classic U shape…and missing any punch. (Try ‘so far away’ by Staind) for a good mix of bass, mid and treble and you’ll know. Try settings at 8, 5, 0, 3, 7 In both cars. Keep incr volume and you’ll start to note just how different they are. You can keep increasing vol on LR and it simply will not distort nor crack. Astounding. Aftermarket options for 1k these days but still won’t sound as balanced with 2 amps.

- The diff between 0-60 3.7 Vs 5.8 is also ‘miles’ apart lol. There is nice pull to the RWD but it’s not the same at all. The LR/boost makes your head snap back if you want it to. Light to light it’s another level of fun. 25mph and up and you’re getting quite close to speed, spec and feel of a Perf.
40mph -80mph…no comparison. The RWD gives you the tesla torque pull, but it felt heavier and power simply wasn’t there as with LR.. The awd/boost speedo still moves too fast for the eyes to see speed lol.

- Handling…the awd hardly slips if at all. I’ve tried even in rain and the damn thing won’t!
Rwd did and I felt it a few times. Coming in and out of a turn, the awd grips and is sure footed. Same drive with the rwd I had to go slower to avoid a spin. Again this is when having fun…not your normal sedate drive.

- ambient lights at night are quite nice and make the interior a bit more premium feel not to mention being able to see what’s in the door pockets and footwells.

- range. My year, awd range was 355 miles (568km) range Vs the rwd at 272 (438km).
Usable, the LR still gets me around 550 at 100% after 55,000 Km driven in one year. Charging speeds are also faster.

All in all the price delta for me was 56k Vs 63k (Canadian $). 7k diff or 5k usd.
The accel boost I got through ingenext for $1k cnd (700usd) so not bad value and it comes with drift mode, auto open doors feature.

If none of these factors matter, or you don’t have a desire for them, then the RWD is your best value :) Good package overall.

Goodluck. You can’t go wrong with either option. Think of it as buying a Samsung 6000 series Vs 9000 TV. Once it’s home and on your wall, you have nothing to compare to. It’s only when you feel out the latter, you notice.

Last edited:
We went with the RWD from inventory a couple of weeks ago. Got a decent discount and a nice trade-in on the Leaf although the Leaf 12V literally died when we got in the car to go pickup the M3. Had to get AAA out and put in a new battery. lol.

I absolutely love the M3! So much fun to drive and perfect for our lifestyle. Thanks for all the input.
It’s an amazing vehicle and value

Reactions: Eric33432
Love my RWD
We went with the RWD from inventory a couple of weeks ago. Got a decent discount and a nice trade-in on the Leaf although the Leaf 12V literally died when we got in the car to go pickup the M3. Had to get AAA out and put in a new battery. lol.

I absolutely love the M3! So much fun to drive and perfect for our lifestyle. Thanks for all the input.
It’s an amazing vehicle and value
I love my daughters cute little M3 RWD. Really fun to drive.

71675430489__F82273C2-35C7-42FF-9973-6EA14EEC406A 2.JPG

Reactions: Mayer and brianbcc