Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Any Model S Refresh/Plaid owners with the 21” Arachnid wheels regret not going with the 19” Tempests?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Nope. No regrets

Attachments

• IMG_7764.jpeg
    IMG_7764.jpeg
    1.1 MB · Views: 274
If I had the 19's, I'd regret it since I bought the track pack and the brakes won't work with 19's. I have to say the 21's have been working well since I did the Macsboost camber adjustment kit. Wear has been excellent. My roads aren't terrible enough to warrant the 19's and while the 19's on my LR rode slightly better, it wasn't a huge difference. I have to say the Signature wheels in 21's look so much better that it would hard to go back to 19's.

I may end up splitting the difference and going with 20's to clear the track pack. Possibly at the next tire change on the 21's go with a bit wider tire that will give me a bit more sidewall if possible in case my wife ends up driving the car.

I love the 19" in terms of comfort and range. Just updated to 20" but with same weight of the 19" 20x10 and 20x11.5 but with factory width tires in 20" for identical road contact. Will be checking to see how much range hit will be as there is no hub caps on these.
View attachment 940250
It’s not the weight it’s the circumference of the wheel, even if you have 20lb wheels for 21 inches you will get the similar miles as the Tesla 21s. $550p for the Tesla Cinderblocks, no thanks you can finds a nice forged set for that range.

20” HRE’s came Friday. Pics clear when you click them.

Attachments

• IMG_4699.jpeg
    IMG_4699.jpeg
    879.9 KB · Views: 199
  • IMG_4700.jpeg
    IMG_4700.jpeg
    980.8 KB · Views: 172
  • IMG_4702.jpeg
    IMG_4702.jpeg
    649.1 KB · Views: 153
  • IMG_4701.jpeg
    IMG_4701.jpeg
    671.7 KB · Views: 176
Absolutely no regrets. I pay close attention to the road, and either avoid or go very slowly over anything I think may cause damage. We don’t have a large number of potholes here in NC, and I travel the same roads all the time, so I have no problems with the 21” wheels. I also pay VERY close attention to curbs so that I do not curb my wheels.

All of this said, I am getting the Tesla Track Package installed on my Model S Plaid on the 12th. The Track Package comes with 20” wheels, and I will likely wear them out quickly and then put different tires on them so that I have winter and summer tires that I can switch out. I am looking forward to how the 20” Track Package wheels feel with the additional sidewall.

Joe

It is good for 4% in range to stick with 19’s. That .2” equates to that basically. As to 20’s, track pack brake clearance and more available tire packages in 20”. I went 20’s for better side wall. My wife has 21’s on her BMW and it super annoying. 25 series tire in back is junk ride quality. I prefer the ride of my S and the 20’s and 19’s are practically equal. I will avoid 21+ like the plague. I think the earlier S turbine style wheel is better looking than the current 21” Arachnid as well.

As an aside, I have a 1988 Turbo BMW 535iS and run a factory 850i 16” wheel. Great ride, period correct and cheaper tires. I have done 17’s and 18’s. They really don’t fit and the ride sure does suffer.

I remember thinking that the increase in efficiency had more to do with the aero hubcaps on the 19” and nothing to do with the diameter of the tire, however, It would not surprise me at all to find out that the 19” rims weigh less and contribute a bit to the overall efficiency.

Joe

The 21” has slight longer distance per revolution. But we achieve greater “efficiency” with the 19”. So if weight is not the primary factor then someone please explain the physics behind the extra distance capability per charge

I remember thinking that the increase in efficiency had more to do with the aero hubcaps on the 19” and nothing to do with the diameter of the tire, however, It would not surprise me at all to find out that the 19” rims weigh less and contribute a bit to the overall efficiency.

Joe
It’s has everything to do with aerodynamics. Many YT videos explaining this.
This guy does it very well. All tesla tires and rims should equal the same circumstances if you are doing it correctly. Width will change obviously but circumstances should stay the same. I have put 80k on a performance 3 summer and switched 18’ and 20’ wheels.
Signature SV104s here! 19”. Got meat?!

View attachment 953024
Ok your flaps????? Where? They are awesome.

This guy does it very well. All tesla tires and rims should equal the same circumstances if you are doing it correctly. Width will change obviously but circumstances should stay the same. I have put 80k on a performance 3 summer and switched 18’ and 20’ wheels.

There was a member here who custom designed and made them, but he no longer frequents TMC. Moved over to Rivian as I found him over there!

70240893242__A1142E02-FA23-4B3A-8DAC-7AA82D84A27D.jpeg