Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Any Model S Refresh/Plaid owners with the 21” Arachnid wheels regret not going with the 19” Tempests?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Crazy thing with the 21’ pkg is Tesla doesn’t give you the 19’ also. If you think about it the 19’ are free come with the car. When you buy the 21” wheels you don’t also get the 19”s.
This actually makes sense. We should be getting both ideally. Is it better to get the 19 inch tempest and buy the 21inch setup separately with the pilot 4s tires? Does anyone know how much cost difference would that be?

I only got the MSP w/ Arachnids because the Track Pack brakes are de rigueur for me (and for Tesla) so no regrets, no question.

Additionally, I personally find anything smaller than 21s to look like balloons so visually a no go. The 295 tires also are much wider and fill out the rear in motion like a true performance car. I cannot stand the bike tire look.

I'm actually waiting on a set of 21" Forgelines with better offsets, stiffness and weight specs than the cast Arachnids.

Glad we have options - do you!

71590859797__A0EA61F4-592B-4475-BD0A-C4FBC0E3458F.jpeg

Last edited:
Reactions: racerx2005
Love the look of the 21” Arachnids but would be great to hear from owners who actually have 5K+ miles on them and how they’ve worn. There’s a 63 page thread elsewhere on this forum that suggests you should run away from the 21” wheels as fast as you can, given all the inner tire wear issues. I’m also leaving the video below as a PSA.

Love the look of the 21” Arachnids but would be great to hear from owners who actually have 5K+ miles on them and how they’ve worn. There’s a 63 page thread elsewhere on this forum that suggests you should run away from the 21” wheels as fast as you can, given all the inner tire wear issues. I’m also leaving the video below as a PSA.

Many high performance vehicles don't come with adjustable camber including the Plaid. No doubt Tesla should've spec'ed the vehicle from new with sane levels of negative camber given how sticky and awesome the PS4S T2s are, but this is quite readily addressable in the aftermarket with either shims or insanely high quality adjustable camber arms.

Not ideal, but the option is there to get normal life out of pricey rubber.

P.S. YouTube dude is clearly running a slammed aftermarket suspension setup which increases negative camber all round by leaps and bounds

I have no
Many high performance vehicles don't come with adjustable camber including the Plaid. No doubt Tesla should've spec'ed the vehicle from new with sane levels of negative camber given how sticky and awesome the PS4S T2s are, but this is quite readily addressable in the aftermarket with either shims or insanely high quality adjustable camber arms.

Not ideal, but the option is there to get normal life out of pricey rubber.

P.S. YouTube dude is clearly running a slammed aftermarket suspension setup which increases negative camber all round by leaps and bounds
I have no sympathy for people who mod their car and have no idea what they are getting into. Then they complain about an issue that they likely made far worse and blame the company. As we've seen, not all S's running 21's have the issue.

I just spoke to someone who 15k out of his 21's locally and was pretty happy. He looked at me like I had two heads when I asked him if he'd had any issues with his rear tire wear. As we know Tesla's build tolerances are pretty variable. So "in spec" covers a lot of ground.

Reactions: bkcyk

This vehicle virgins guy is a clickbait YouTuber he has no creditabilty , another video show him getting new compound Bridgestone tires.

• Informative
Reactions: jebinc
I have the 19"s and I am good with them. Like folks said earlier: with the price difference, you are better off ordering with 19"s and then upgrading to 21"s if you feel the need.

The extra efficiency and cheaper tire replacements are worth it with the 19's and if you really want, get the 20"s offered with the Track Pack IMHO. Then turn your 19"s into winter tires if you need in your area. Just my 2 cents.

Reactions: jebinc