TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC

Has anyone had paint repair in south/west suburbs at non-authorized body shop?

Discussion in 'New England' started by David29, Jun 10, 2017.

1. David29

David29 Supporting Member

I have a scrape on the side of my Model S, from brushing up against a snowbank that had frozen. :(
    The scrape is across the right rear door and the adjacent fender panel. I am quite sure there is no body panel distortion or denting. Just paint damage White shows through the scrape marks, so I suspect that is undercoat.
    Having heard terrible stories about body shop backlogs and delays, I am wondering if I can get this "simple" repair done at some body shop other than the one Tesla authorized shop in the south Boston area suburbs. Plus that shop is a good distance away from my home in Dedham, so that is a hassle.
    Someone posted in a Facebook Tesla group that non-authorized shops are not "allowed" to purchase Tesla paint, which sounds absurd and I hope is not true. (Seems as if that would violate consumer protection principles, if not actual laws.)

Anyway, has anyone had work paint (only) done at non-authorized body shops in the Boston area?
    Thanks!

2. Babasnoopy

Babasnoopy Member

I believe Rainbow Paint in Braintree sells the paint that Tesla uses. That's where Hollis Autobody gets it from, according to the guys from Rainbow. I went in there with my S to get paint for my old Jeep Wrangler, and they immediately started a Tesla conversation. They pointed right to a paint chip with my Deep Blue Ocean Metallic on it. You may be able to get a lead from them on where to get the work done. Unfortunately with aluminum panels, most shops are going to push you for a full respray on the panels affected, and the blending work to match the neighboring panels. $$$$ adds up fast. My little run in with a guard rail on RT 3 cost my insurance company, and subsequently my premiums, $40k.

• Informative x 1