Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Has anyone install a DCC-10 EV Energy Management System with a Tesla Wall Connector?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I am currently trying to install a NEMA 14-50 outlet or possibly a Tesla Wall Connector. However, my sub panel is pretty full and cannot accommodate a NEMA 14-50 outlet. The electrician is recommending installing a DCC-10 EV Energy Management System between the sub panel and the NEMA 14-50 outlet (or Tesla Wall Connector). The DCC-10 will monitor power usage on the panel and allow EV charging when the power consumption on the circuit is less than 80% (but shut down charging when consumption is high to prevent tripping the circuit breaker).

This is the link for the DCC-10: DCC-10-50A | EV Energy Management System | 240/208V, 50A breaker included, Max 200A

I was wondering has anyone installed such setup instead of upgrading the panel, and how well does it work? Any problems with this setup?

I know that it will depend on how much power I use at home. If I use a lot of power, it will trigger the DCC-10 to shut down charging to the Tesla. But I don't think we use over 80% of power often in our household. This might be an alternative to upgrading the sub panel.

I use a DCC-9 with the Wall Connector with no problems. Is your concern that the Wall Connector and/or the car doesn’t like being shut off? I think it looks like a circuit breaker being flipped and it has a timer so it’s not flapping on and off which would be the main cause of worry. That said, I’m not sure mine has ever triggered either since I usually charge at midnight when the electrical usage is already pretty low. Pretty sure I’d have to be running the dryer and the oven at the same time as charging to hit the trigger point.

It seems pretty unique to be installing the DCC-10 on a sub-panel. You have two really good alternatives:

1) Use one of the lower NEMA circuits that better matches how much power you have. You didn't give exact numbers, but its hard to see how you can support a 50A circuit with a DCC, but can't support a 15-20A dedicated circuit. Its a very sufficient amount of power in practical use.

2) Run a new wire. The DCC box costs $1,050 plus installation. The wire installation might not be too much more if you look around.

I think the DCC-9 is supposed to be installed on a sub-panel. Are you in a condo? What size is the main breaker?

I have a DCC-9-30A and use it with a Tesla Wall Connector. It works fine, though it would trip when the inrush current of the AC system powering up was sensed. I've since installed a new HVAC system with a slow-ramp variable rate compressor. It no longer does this.

I created a huge thread on my install over here.

• Helpful
Reactions: Rocky_H