Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Has anyone noticed rear dual pane windows? (US)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I assume when the parts start rolling in, us legacy MY owners can easily retrofit the rear double pane glass in. I'd pay $500 for that.

of course i'd need to re-tint.. but easy to do when the glass is out. (I tinted my windows perfectly DIY w/ ceramic tint)

the rear hatch glass is a different story. need a glass pro.

I assume when the parts start rolling in, us legacy MY owners can easily retrofit the rear double pane glass in. I'd pay $500 for that.

of course i'd need to re-tint.. but easy to do when the glass is out. (I tinted my windows perfectly DIY w/ ceramic tint)

the rear hatch glass is a different story. need a glass pro.
Would it be that easy?

I don’t know enough to claim one way or another, but I’d wonder if all the involved pieces can accommodate thicker glass. I mean, I know it isn’t double the thickness of the current glass, but it is thicker.

Would it be that easy?

I don’t know enough to claim one way or another, but I’d wonder if all the involved pieces can accommodate thicker glass. I mean, I know it isn’t double the thickness of the current glass, but it is thicker.
It would be pretty easy to swap the glass in the rear if/when Tesla does make it a dual layer glass. Provided that it's the same shape and size of course. The thickness wouldn't matter as much as the weather stripping around the window frame will simply squeeze a bit tighter.

It would be pretty easy to swap the glass in the rear if/when Tesla does make it a dual layer glass. Provided that it's the same shape and size of course. The thickness wouldn't matter as much as the weather stripping around the window frame will simply squeeze a bit tighter.
If it’s too tight, then the weather stripping would need to be replaced, since it already had issues sometimes going back down as if there was too much resistance somewhere. Not long after I got my MYP, I had that issue with the front windows. In order for it to close, I had to push the windows outward when near the top to get it to close instead of going back down. After a few times it seemed to stop doing that and hasn’t occurred since, hopefully won’t again.

I’m curious if there are rails inside the door too. If so, I’d assume they’re sized to match the glass.