Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Has anyone picked up their M3 and found it riddled with paint defects? Detailing/PPF?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
What ceramic coating did you get and how are you getting on with it? We have been getting crap weather and roads are covered in crap so it's the perfect time to put the product to the test I suppose. : )

We had #STC #Labocosmetica | Permanent nano ceramic car coating on ours. Not impressed, car still gets dirty and stays dirty - lower parts of doors and rear of car. But its easier to clean.

It also doesn't protects from door dings either - but I never thought it would, but its a common misconception. I personally wouldn't bother again - it was a very expensive car wash that was nice whilst it lasted and for first drive after each wash.

I would counter the above by saying that as long as your expectations are reasonable - it's brilliant.

I've had the last 3 cars I've owned ceramic coated, and it has meant that every time I've washed it (two bucket method) it basically looks the same as when the guy did it, and it takes less work to actually clean.

It does nothing to stop stone chips or dings, granted, it's more of a layer between the paint and the dirt.

We had #STC #Labocosmetica | Permanent nano ceramic car coating on ours. Not impressed, car still gets dirty and stays dirty - lower parts of doors and rear of car. But its easier to clean.

I had that put on professionally too, also not impressed compared to my self coated G-Techniq Crystal Serum Light and Exo on previous cars. I've actually started adding a good Hydrophobic coating to my washes (ATM using Polar Seal) and its much better, but I'm confused if its just no good or was wrongly applied or what, but I would not recommend Labocosmetica.

Reactions: MrBadger
A good ceramic coating applied correctly should last a couple of years at least. The protective qualities are to do with creating a more hydrophobic and slippery surface that dirt and contaminants cannot stick to as easily as they would otherwise. This also generally results in more shine too, which is nice. When you wash the car, there is less dirt to wash off and therefore less abrasion on the surface which means less chance of creating micro swirls which is the classic look of ruined paint.

That said, it isn't magic if you go to the local £5 hand car wash for all your washes expect it to wear off faster. If you wash the car with the 2 bucket method at home and the right products it will last much longer. So in summary YMMV.

Hey,

So I collected my Blue M3 from Stockley Park a couple weeks back and it was riddled with paint defects. There was sanding marks all over the car and the lacquer had etching on the bonnet i'm guessing where a bird had crapped on it whilst being sat outside.

Whilst it's not the end of the world I was just wondering if anyone else had experienced anything similar and knew of any good companys in the London/Greater London area that good give the car a good machine polish?

I am also toying with the idea of putting PPF on the front end and ceramic coating the whole car as I hear that PPF can enhance the look of the paint not to mention protect it from light scratches and stone chips. I'd rather spend more time driving my M3 than cleaning it (I'm a lazy tw8t in that respect!) and a friend of mine said that it helped him keep his AM Vantage clean.

Obviously a Vantage and an M3 are miles apart on price so depends what it costs. If anybody has any suggestions it would be much appreciated?
Our black M3P was "OK" on pick up but we'd already decided to have either a wrap or PPF. Ultimately we went for the full detailing and full PPF as the detailer demostrated how poor/thin the paint was in reality - he compared it to other cars in his workshop and it was a bit pants to be fair. We got it for £3k including "Halo" ceramic PPF protection coat to finish. Yes the car still gets dirty but it's a doddle to clean and water beads off the coatings brilliantly. I'm also slightly less concerned about public parking as the PPF is very robust and actually self-heals. I also no longer sh1t myself when the w@nker postman insists on dragging his bag down it. So quite a bit more cash spent but hopefully now in better shape to stand up to our crap weather (and posties). If you do go for the PPF, make sure it's the type of pattern where it wraps under the panels and doesn't just butt up against the panel edge. We also purchased 18" rims and CrossClimate+ tyres to make the running gear a bit more robust too

What ceramic coating did you get and how are you getting on with it? We have been getting crap weather and roads are covered in crap so it's the perfect time to put the product to the test I suppose. : )

IGL Kenzo. I'm no expert, but it really seems to make a difference. The beading lasts and lasts, and it doesn't get very dirty, the worst area being in the vacuum of the rear bumper.

IGL Kenzo. I'm no expert, but it really seems to make a difference. The beading lasts and lasts, and it doesn't get very dirty, the worst area being in the vacuum of the rear bumper.

So I went to GVE in London. They have some seriously nice cars in stock! I had a look at a few of their customer cars that had ceramic coatings applied. They use Gtechniq. As you commented Durzel, simply put it makes the surfaces super slippery so that dirt and contamination have a harder time sticking to the paint therefore reducing risk of micro abrasions and makes maintenance easier which is all I want. Their words not mine which I thought was refreshing and honest.

I've booked it in for PPF on the whole car and a coating of ceramic as I plan to hold onto this Tesla for a while. Watch this space.