Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Has anyone removed the cubby shelf in the X?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

madodel

X at the end of a rainbow
Supporting Member
I had a car wash gift card slide back under the cubby shelf and can't retrieve it. I used an endoscope to see it is back there and a couple other things as well. I know it comes down because Tesla Service took it down once to attach to a data connector behind it but I can't figure out how to do it and I don't want to break it and have to pay a couple hundred dollars to retrieve a $60 gift card. I had asked Tesla Service to do it while my X was in for annual service last week but they apparently forgot as did I when I picked it up and I'm over an hour away so I would prefer not to drive back for something this trivial. So any pointers on how to do this without damage and be able to reinstall it?

Um ... perhaps it's obvious to you what you mean by 'cubby shelf' but I have no idea what part you're talking about. Maybe attach a photo?

I have had things go under the area where my phone charger is. To get into that area, remove everything that might be in the way and close the lid (it pivots to close the area where the phone goes). The lid itself blocks access from the center console when it is open so that you can insert the phone, but after you've closed it you can open the center console area, remove any cupholders that might be in the way, and then reach in and easily access any part of the charge area or the area underneath it.

Hope that helps.

Um ... perhaps it's obvious to you what you mean by 'cubby shelf' but I have no idea what part you're talking about. Maybe attach a photo?

I have had things go under the area where my phone charger is. To get into that area, remove everything that might be in the way and close the lid (it pivots to close the area where the phone goes). The lid itself blocks access from the center console when it is open so that you can insert the phone, but after you've closed it you can open the center console area, remove any cupholders that might be in the way, and then reach in and easily access any part of the charge area or the area underneath it.

Hope that helps.
Not the console with the sliding door or the charging compartment. The shelf directly above the sliding door and below the screen. It has always been called the cubby shelf.

Two thumbs in it in the corners, and push down hard. It is really stiff, but it does come out. You won’t break it.
Who'd of thought Tesla would make it that easy. Unfortunately there is a deep cavity at the very back that the card seems to have fallen into. But I learned something today. Thanks for that.

Two thumbs in it in the corners, and push down hard. It is really stiff, but it does come out. You won’t break it.
Wow, thanks! I was able to retrieve my credit card that slid under there when I had to brake suddenly. I couldn’t even see it back there! I called roadside assistance and they had no idea what to do. Good old TMC and DCGOO to the rescue. Thank you for saving the day. This looks like a design flaw, doesn’t it?

Reactions: Jimmy 1