Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Has anyone tried lowering the seats in the Model Y?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Model Y has a little lever on the seat that will allow you to electrically raise and lower your seat.

If, at the lowest point, you still want to sit further down, then you could cut the stilts off. Pretty drastic measures.

Model Y has a little lever on the seat that will allow you to electrically raise and lower your seat.

If, at the lowest point, you still want to sit further down, then you could cut the stilts off. Pretty drastic measures.
Thank you for the input, but that's why we are posting here. I dug deep and here are some pictures of the stilts. Super easy if the console wasn't involved, but it seems you will have to lower the center console and also passenger seat to make it all line up.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20230811-204205.png
    Screenshot_20230811-204205.png
    1.7 MB · Views: 150
  • Screenshot_20230811-204604.png
    Screenshot_20230811-204604.png
    1.4 MB · Views: 109
  • Screenshot_20230811-204829.png
    Screenshot_20230811-204829.png
    1.7 MB · Views: 115
  • Screenshot_20230811-204108.png
    Screenshot_20230811-204108.png
    1.6 MB · Views: 106
  • Screenshot_20230811-204114.png
    Screenshot_20230811-204114.png
    1.6 MB · Views: 119
  • Screenshot_20230811-204129.png
    Screenshot_20230811-204129.png
    1.5 MB · Views: 112
  • Helpful
Reactions: David99
This thread is very important to me.

I've redesigned my own seats in my model 3. But a consequence is my seat height is higher than stock. But the Model 3 does not have pedestals. I can afford to go up in height in the 3 just a few inches, where I would not be able to do so in the Y.

I also helped people with their seats. But in the process it has raised their seating position. In most cases it works in the Model 3. In some marginal cases it can work in the Model Y. But for taller people, especially those with a taller torso, which is the majority with seat issues, adding seating height in a model Y is a disaster!

Cutting down the pedestals is possible but involved and difficult, yet may be the only approach save selling the car and not having a Tesla at all. Modifying the pedestals is Not something your average owner would take on and many professionals won't touch it either. I agree that because the pedestal also supports the center console we'd have to make some kind of accommodation for the center console, that probably can be done. Thank God I bought a Model 3. I could not have lived with the limited height in the Model Y.

Very few people buying Tesla understand that the Model 3 is a better choice for a tall person with a long upper body or torso. Furthermore, from Model X owners who've contacted me, the Model X might also have a pedestal????

I've already examined the metal seat bottom for lowering possibilities. As it is, when lowered, it's as low as it can be. I don't think mods will help get it any lower.

I've looked at possibly modifying the metal seat bottom to make it somewhat wider and therefore possibly lower. First there's no room in the car towards the console and very little towards the door. And it's a big design and build effort. That is unless you are building something like a race car, and you've eliminated all the adjustments of the seat and all the amenities like heating, etc. Then you can weld in anything you like. Which makes me think that some racers might have taken this on in some regard. I have some experience with that myself. I installed custom seats (fixed) in an off road custom 4x4 rock crawler.

As daunting as it appears, the simplest approach is to cut down the pedestals. Those pedestals don't exist in the model 3 and consequently there's more headroom in a smaller car. Go figure.

If you could pull the pedestals out of the car, a welder could do the lowering of the pedestals themselves.
I can't even see how to pull the pedestals. It looks like the bolts are underneath?

If I could just get my hands on those pedestals, I could examine the possibilities further.
I see none for sale in the salvaged parts aftermarket. We'd have to buy them new or contact a salvage company to specially order or request them. They must have salvage frames that they've completely stripped with these still remaining in side.

There's another thread here on this topic but it didn't go any further than this one:

Last edited:
Not very helpful on my part, but those pics helped me understand why if something falls down the vent under the seat, it doesn't (easily) come out

I put the grids on mine to guard against that, but had to tape them in place as they didn't even come close to staying in position