Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Has anyone tried the TruLift Racheting Scissor Jack from Modern Spare?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Modern Spare has a spare tire kit:
2017-2019 Tesla Model 3 Complete Kit - Carrying Case Included - Modern Spare
that includes a "3000 LB TruLift Ratcheting Scissor Jack With Rubber Contact Point".

Has anyone actually used one of these jacks on an M3, and does it work well? Specifically, are you able to lift the car without requiring a huge amount of force, or feeling like the jack is seizing?

I ask because I have tried a variety of scissor jacks on my M3, and all of them have the same problem, where due to the stiff suspension of the car, and the lower profile, the jack is not able to get enough leverage when it's low (flattened triangle), so you have to crank the jack really hard just to get the car to go up. Sometimes you have to put in so much effort, you are afraid you might bend or break the crank!

I was originally planning on getting the porsche aluminum jack mentioned here:
The perfect Model 3 emergency jack?
and then getting the spare tire separately from bimmerzone here:
Tesla Model 3 Spare Tire (Emergency Space Saver) : Bimmerzone.com
but if I hear some positive experiences for the Modern Spare jack, I might go with their kit instead, since it's an all in one package that has everything.

I've got and tried the system from modern spare- be sure to UPGRADE the jack at check out- they have a jack which is upgraded to support the weight of the model 3 - Think it was 10.00 more- The difference, and I had the one from bimmerzone for my x5, the modern spare has no limits of travel- it's a small tire without a 50 mile spare rating etc.

Get the full kit and it has a canvas bag etc. (hope this helps)

*It is recommended for customers with the performance or extended range models to purchase the 4000 LB Scissor Jack option. This is due to the increased motor/battery weight of these models.*

*For Upgraded 2.0T (4000 LB) TruLift Scissor Jack Add-On, Please Add the Following to Your Cart: https://modernspare.com/product/trulift-ratcheting-scissor-jack-4000-lb-capacity/

• Informative
Reactions: KenC
I’ll sell you this aluminum Porsche jack. Its shaped to fit the M3 and it’s much lighter.
upload_2019-6-25_20-35-13.png

Got over excited on eBay and accidentally ordered 2 by mistake :)

Note: I am not including the socket adapter shown in the earlier picture but it can easily be purchased on Amazon for $14. I also have the original Porsche aluminum hand crank and can add that with it if you want to go that route.

IMG_1465.jpeg

Attachments

• IMG_1466 2.jpeg
    IMG_1466 2.jpeg
    1.2 MB · Views: 156
  • IMG_1465.jpeg
    IMG_1465.jpeg
    1.1 MB · Views: 137
Last edited:
I've got and tried the system from modern spare- be sure to UPGRADE the jack at check out- they have a jack which is upgraded to support the weight of the model 3 - Think it was 10.00 more- The difference, and I had the one from bimmerzone for my x5, the modern spare has no limits of travel- it's a small tire without a 50 mile spare rating etc.

Get the full kit and it has a canvas bag etc. (hope this helps)

*It is recommended for customers with the performance or extended range models to purchase the 4000 LB Scissor Jack option. This is due to the increased motor/battery weight of these models.*

*For Upgraded 2.0T (4000 LB) TruLift Scissor Jack Add-On, Please Add the Following to Your Cart: https://modernspare.com/product/trulift-ratcheting-scissor-jack-4000-lb-capacity/

Hi DA3,

TruLift has two models, one with a rubber contact point and one with a pinch weld contact point. I believe I want the one with the rubber contact point given the M3's jack points don't appear to have a pinch weld. Can you please confirm this?

Rubber Contact Point

Pinch Weld Contact Point

Thanks!