Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Spare tire - Modern vs StanceMagic vs Tsportline

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I have the 2023 MY AWD Austin build and I'm curious which option to go with. I did buy the new Tesla tire repair kit from their app, but I'm not sure how much use a pump and sealant will work if I have a blow out on a road trip.

I have the 2023 MY AWD Austin build and I'm curious which option to go with. I did buy the new Tesla tire repair kit from their app, but I'm not sure how much use a pump and sealant will work if I have a blow out on a road trip.
🤪 :eek:You're joking, right? Sealant for a blowout is worthless, which is why the lengthy hand-wringing discussions about various after-market spare tires!

seems the advice to combat tire road hazards are:
short trips: tire plug repair kit, snip nose plyers, tire plug screws, Tesla tire repair kit
long trips: above plus a Modern Spare or Stance kits to your vehicle, road reflector, small tarp, wood piece for under the jack

Reactions: Pianewman
🤷🏻‍♂️ I had a rivet stuck in a tyre on my Model Y. I just used a can of Holt’s tyre repair gloop. It worked fine to fill the hole, get me home, and last the few days before I cautiously got the tyre replaced.

I used the same stuff on a previous Model S. worked well for 100s of miles.

A ‘blow out’ sounds terrifying. I’ve not yet experienced one since starting driving in the 80s.

Reactions: Owner4523
🤷🏻‍♂️ I had a rivet stuck in a tyre on my Model Y. I just used a can of Holt’s tyre repair gloop. It worked fine to fill the hole, get me home, and last the few days before I cautiously got the tyre replaced.

I used the same stuff on a previous Model S. worked well for 100s of miles.

A ‘blow out’ sounds terrifying. I’ve not yet experienced one since starting driving in the 80s.
agree, tires, although expensive these days, are amazing products with very few blowouts
just need them to fix the wear per mile issue
id pay more if EV tires would just last 60-70K miles

Reactions: PrGrPa
One day, my feeling in the next few years, no more tire repair or spare tires needed for automobiles and trucks. WOW
Michelin UPTIS
seems they are available for folk lifts and some other industrial equipment
when for vehicles, TBD

They've been working on those airless tires for well over a decade and we still don't have them for the masses. I know some construction vehicles and even farm equipment have them. I like the look of them and want them on my cars. Some say snow and ice will get in the openings but I'd think once a vehicle gets moving it would be crushed and thrown out. The only thing the tire industry would lose with these are flat tire repairs but the treads will still wear and new tries will still be needed. And with more and more new cars not coming with spares, this would be the perfect solution. Because even if you get a spare tire, the new cars don't have a place to store safely.

They've been working on those airless tires for well over a decade and we still don't have them for the masses. I know some construction vehicles and even farm equipment have them. I like the look of them and want them on my cars. Some say snow and ice will get in the openings but I'd think once a vehicle gets moving it would be crushed and thrown out. The only thing the tire industry would lose with these are flat tire repairs but the treads will still wear and new tries will still be needed. And with more and more new cars not coming with spares, this would be the perfect solution. Because even if you get a spare tire, the new cars don't have a place to store safely.
My understanding is that the production airless ribbed tire design will include a sidewall to prevent debris from getting in between the ribs and for appearance.

Would you pay $600 per tire to be guaranteed no flats? Assuming they will only last 30K per wear set
Cost $2400 x 3.33 years $8k per 100k miles
And where are you getting that they will cost $600 per tire? But Depending on where I drive I might because getting a flat in the middle of no where without cell service or the wrong side of town in the middle of the night could be dangerous.