Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Spare tire - Modern vs StanceMagic vs Tsportline

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Looking at getting spare tire for Model Y. Found the following options -

1. Modern spare - $518 (includes shipping and no tax for WA)
2. StanceMagic - $407 (includes free shipping and tax based on WA)
3. Tsportline - $580 (includes shipping and tax based on WA)

Looked at various posts, Modern spare has been the most common one. Looking for reviews for StanceMagic and how does it compare with Modern spare. Is it worth spending extra $100 for modern spare?

I like that the StanceMagic spare tire kit has an adapter fitted on the scissor jack for the lift point locator hole in the Tesla Model Y. I have a 2020 LRMY, the diameter of the lift point locator hole is slightly smaller in the Austin built 2023 Model Y so the adapter might not fit without removing some of the (plastic) material from the adapter. (I paid less than the current price for the StanceMagic spare tire kit back in April than the current price shown on Amazon.)

I like that the StanceMagic spare tire kit has an adapter fitted on the scissor jack for the lift point locator hole in the Tesla Model Y. I have a 2020 LRMY, the diameter of the lift point locator hole is slightly smaller in the Austin built 2023 Model Y so the adapter might not fit without removing some of the (plastic) material from the adapter. (I paid less than the current price for the StanceMagic spare tire kit back in April than the current price shown on Amazon.)
Thanks for sharing your feedback. Did you get a chance to use it?

Adding pictures.

Attachments

• 20230902_115458.jpg
    20230902_115458.jpg
    398.6 KB · Views: 255
  • 20230902_115605.jpg
    20230902_115605.jpg
    387.4 KB · Views: 167
I just ordered the Stance Magic spare tire kit. Meant to go with my M3 on long trip. For city driving, the tire will be stored in my garage.
I only had to use the spare tire 3 times during my 40+ yrs driving. Rare event but it ensures peace of mind on long trip.

Reactions: Skavatar
I noticed the Stance spare shows size 155/85R18, while the other 2 show 145/85/18. Does that matter?
155/85R18: 28.4 inch outer tire diameter
145/85R18: 27.7 inch outer tire diameter

The Tesla Model Y OE tire outer diameter is spec'd at 28" (except for the Performance Model Y Rear Wheel/Tire 275/35R21 at 28.6"). These spare wheel/tires are within 0.5 inch of the OE 28". As long as the wheel bolt pattern is correct and the wheel/tire load rating is adequate then there should be no issue. Most spare tires are rated for speeds of up to 80 KPH (50 MPH) and are only intended for limited use.

For reference:
OE 19" - 255/45R19: 28 inch outer tire diameter
OE 20" - 255/40R20: 28 inch outer tire diameter
OE 21" (Front) - 255/35R21: 28 inch outer tire diameter
OE 21" (Rear) - 275/35R21: 28.6 inch outer tire diameter

Tire Size Calculator

I noticed the Stance spare shows size 155/85R18, while the other 2 show 145/85/18. Does that matter?
So then it looks like the Stance is a wider thread tire, which means it's heavier and takes up more space. Unless you're going to carry a full size tire as a spare, most spares now are compact and designed to get you someplace close to get your tire repaired to buy a new tire.

When I bought my new 2023 Model Y Performance I replaced the heavy 21" UberTurbine wheels with a TSportline 18" TS5 wheel set and couldn't be happier. My car gets Model Y LR range, is quicker, has a better ride and beefier side walls that stick out farther than the rims, to protect against curb rash. Plus, since they are all the same size I can do a proper cross pattern tire rotation. I do want a spare tire for trips and had been thinking maybe I want a TSportline full size wheel as the spare with the pressure sensor but it's $680 after 15% off and free shipping, and takes up too much storage space. As of today I'm starting to lean towards the TSportline TS1 spare tire, with the 15% off and free shipping it's around $331 for the wheel with tote bag and $399 for the wheel, tote bag and tool kit, I'd want the tool kit.

The StanceMagic spare is $355 for the wheel with tool kit on Amazon with free shipping. The Modern Spare is $490 for the wheel with tote bag and tool kit, but shipping isn't free and another $48 to my area. I think the TSportline spare is the best deal for me right now. But I really wish the next generation of airless tires was on the market because it's ridiculous that we need a spare tire due to flats and more car companies are not including spare tires and they're not designing a place for then in the cars. So for us, it's an extra cost for something that is difficult to safely store in the car and take up space.

One thing to note, I have always carried a tire plug kit, small air compressor in my vehicles. A spare tire would be better when it's rainy or dark and cold outside or I'm wearing dress clothes. Put the spare on to get someplace safe, dry and warm, then plug the tire (if it's pluggable), continue the drive until the tire can be replaced.

I better go place my order before I talk myself out of it. lol

Last edited:
... more car companies are not including spare tires and they're not designing a place for then in the cars.
So for us, it's an extra cost for something that is difficult to safely store in the car and take up space.

I undersyand that spare are not any longer included with the car (save cost, weight, and rarely used especially when leaving in urban areas...) but for those living in countries like Alaska or Australia and many other similar countries, a spare is still somthing wise to carry at least until airless tires get available.

But it doesn't make sense that manufactures do not design a safe location with secure anchors points to carry a spare.

I undersyand that spare are not any longer included with the car (save cost, weight, and rarely used especially when leaving in urban areas...) but for those living in countries like Alaska or Australia and many other similar countries, a spare is still somthing wise to carry at least until airless tires get available.

But it doesn't make sense that manufactures do not design a safe location with secure anchors points to carry a spare.
I completely agree with you, however the new Michelin airless tire design would negate the need for the majority of vehicles to carry a spare, but you could still carry one if you wanted. But I don't believe for a second when they said the spares are rarely used anyway, when in reality it's all about production costs. And even if airless tire tech never becomes popular a spare absolutely needs to be designed back into vehicles. Most vehicles have redundancy built in with many systems, so why not with tires?! It's completely about safety.

Reactions: Watts_Up
I heard about two concerns: jack in Stance kit has the puck dimpled preinstalled and prevents fitting the jack under when you have a full flat tire? if true then the Stance option is not good, with Modern Spare heard that lug nuts are not included and that is a problem with the Uber 21 wheels and nuts?
really confused on which one to buy or its:
get Tsportline kit and a flat top scissor jack from amazon
any help is appreciated