Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Has anyone used CQuartz or something similar on their paint?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I have Xpel front and cQuartz on the entire car. The cQuartz won't stop scratches as stated earlier but since you don't need to wash the car nearly so often and never have to wax or polish it out it shouldn't get any swirls at all. The level of gloss is way more than OEM paint and clear coat. A color correction is necessary though. Any imperfections will be enhanced and permanent under the cQuartz or any other nano coating. The Xpel front or equivalent is what you would get if you want to protect from most bug or road rock damage.

You don't show where in the U.S. you are located but the job done on mine including color correction, Xpel and cQuartz Finest was about $3K.

There are a lot of posts about this in he Interior/Exterior Forum.

I have Opti-Pro Plus. No protection. Opti makes the car permanently appear to have just been waxed. It is truly wash and go. No need to any waxing ever. If you are particular about your car it will save you money in the long run. I think it cost me $650 installed including a minor amount of paint correction before applying.

Edit - It's 100% worth the money IMO.

Yea..there are lots of reviews on Opti and cQuartz. Who knows how they hold up over time and even then in what conditions. My cars are garaged which is a huge deal here in the Florida sun. Daily temperature variations like you will see in the north not to mention the abrasiveness of salt and snow are bound to take a toll. Is it worth it? idk.. you could make the argument it can be repainted for $3K at least once in a period of ownership. Guess it depends on your priorities.

There are other reasons for the coatings and for me the biggest is the car is always far cleaner than without. I hate a dirty car and now can go for 2-3 weeks without washing and the car looks good even to the end of that cycle. I usually capitulate and wash it because of the wheels more than anything else. Another reason is that I became concerned that "California" paint is not nearly as well cured and not as durable as lets say a Detroit paint because of the environmental whackos (oh I'm gonna hear it now).

Last edited:
Won't do anything for scratches/chips at all - you'll need a wrap for that. I've had cQuartz Finest on my car for the past 7 or 8 months, and over time, tiny fine micro scratches still appear in the paint. And this is with all hand-washing too! And wouldn't you know it, just yesterday when I went to unplug my car to give it a bath, I flicked the charge cable a bit too hard and it smacked against the paint, leaving a faint but noticeable scratch! Ugh. If you're expecting cQF to protect you from scratches, you'll be disappointed.

But it definitely does help your car to look shiny. I've had people comment on the "special shiny paint" that Tesla uses, and have also had people ask where I go to get my car washed (in my garage with ONR). Not having to spend money/time on waxing is a huge plus - those can run $75-$100/every couple of months.

In the end, I'd probably get it again. Cost me just shy of $1000 for paint correction + cQF.

Yea...and my garden hose has a lifetime warranty. They count on a small fraction of people taking advantage of the warranty. Warranties are not measurement of quality. They will provide the material but not the labor to apply. Am I wrong?

Actually if your garden hose breaks in 5 years I don't think they replace it for free.... Just saying. The purpose of these coatings is to enhance and protect paint from things like bird droppings and make them easily cleaned with just minimal rinsing and no scrubbing nor waxing. Of course you can wax instead and achieve similar results but that's more owner labor. :)

I had OptiCoat Pro on my Black 2014MS - Looked great few months, but no physical protection. Spent $1,200 on that and generally disappointed. Most of what you pay for is the paint correction before the product is applied.
I went with Xpel Ultimate on my Midnight Silver 2015MS - 3K$. Saved me from a few rock chips and looks great. I wash with ONG and looks like it's waxed. Make sure you get someone that can wrap around the edges.

My opinion is money is better spent with the Xpel wrap if you can. Certainly the front of the car. If funds and priorities allow then go ahead with the Opti or CQuartz but the front of the car is what gets the most wear for sure. If you have $5K or more to put into it then wrap the whole car and be done with it.

Try Ceramic Pro 9h and if you are in the DC area check out Capitol Shine for install . They have good info on Ceramic Pro and Opti-Coat on website - www.capitolshine.com

Anyone else have experience with Ceramic Pro? The company website makes it sound like it will protect against scratching. Has this been the case for those that have it? Any idea what the price difference is between this vs OptiCoat vs Expel?

Almost two years ago I had a paint correction, then a CQuarzt application on my MS. With 20K miles and monthly hand washes, it still looks waxed and new. I was told it should last at least three years. Also, by not running up anyone's tailpipe I've fortunately avoided visible paint chips. As previously mentioned, the key to a happy result is that initial paint correction.

I've had conversations with both CQuartz and OptiCoat authorized dealers. All good people. However, extremely biased in favor of their own products, mildly disparaging of the competition. Someday it would be nice to see some unbiased data concerning long term results of these products. At this point you probably can't go wrong by flipping a coin, but do get the correction first.

My 85D on the right had C.Quartz Finest applied about 6 months ago. This picture was after it was washed (I use touchless spray wands) and hand-dried with a very clean chamois.

Ease of keeping it looking glossy: Yes.
Protection from scratches/chips: No. In fact, the high-gloss shine can make very minor surface swirl marks more noticeable than standard wax finishes.

randomtesla-jpg.113897

I've heard people claim that these coatings help prolong the time between washes. Is there any real world comparisons between cars with coating and cars without? I'm assuming most people get these coatings applied when the car is brand new. I'm just wondering how much cleaner does it keep the the car as opposed to one that have regular waxes or sealants.

I had mine applied with Opticoat Pro. It doesn't protect against rocks and chips - I don't expect it to. It's supposed to:
1. Make you car look like it's always just been waxed. Car is less than a yr old so can't really tell.
2. Make it easier to wash the car. I don't think this is true. Dirt, mud, etc do stick to the car - mostly on the sides and rear. Spraying it with a garden hose (jet attachment) doesn't really clean it. I haven't tested with a power wash.
3. Protect the paint from light scratches and water spots. My car has developed light swirls and water spots do form.

Is it worth it? I'm not really sure. Its good enough in my book if #1 holds true.

I've heard people claim that these coatings help prolong the time between washes. Is there any real world comparisons between cars with coating and cars without? I'm assuming most people get these coatings applied when the car is brand new. I'm just wondering how much cleaner does it keep the the car as opposed to one that have regular waxes or sealants.

Mine doesn't look cleaner or easier to wash compared to an old car that's never been Opti-coated. I had the impression that dirt won't stick or would easily wash away. Not the case.