TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC

Has anyone won a Model S/X? (None YouTube Stars)

Discussion in 'Off Topic' started by Kbra, Mar 16, 2017.

1. Kbra

Kbra Member

I may have missed this in other threads but do we know of any real people that have won a loaded Model S/X through the referral program. Particularly the random drawing winners which i assume are at the end of each round. There should be about 6 of them out there by now... I've never seen an announcement and has me wondering the legitimacy of such claims.

2. S'toon

S'toon Knows where his towel is

In Norway, Tesla Bjorn. There was a Chinese guy who won in the Asia same round, a guy who works hard to promote EVs and in Canada the guy who writes the EV and More blog won.

After that round, Bjorn won another one or two Model Ses, no word in other parts of the world.

I seem to recall hearing about someone in the US winning one but refusing delivery due to not being able to pay the taxes. I could be misremembering that though.

3. HankLloydRight

HankLloydRight Fluxing

How did win those? Are you sure about that? After the first referral round, it was just random drawings, you can't be serious that he won two more in addition to the Model X Founders in the random drawings.

4. S'toon

Actually, the first 2 rounds weren't random. Come to think of it, the guy from Quebec like Bjorn, won the first 2 rounds. The Quebec guy is a member of this forum as well. IIRC they had similar strategies.
    Bjørn Nyland Wins Second Tesla Referral Contest

• Like x 1
  5. S'toon

6. Kbra

Kbra Member

Yeah I'm asking if the common folk won any? Every round for some time now has said they would pick a person at random. Odd that we never hear anything or that they aren't on this forum

7. Kbra

Kbra Member

8. S'toon

They divide each contest by regions. 1 winner in North America, 1 in Asia, and 1 in Europe.

1 drawing per referral round.

I don't know why there's no announcements about winners. Privacy issues? As I said earlier, I've read rumours that winners have refused the Tesla due to tax issues.

9. Kbra

Kbra Member

Can't imagine why. Even if you pay up the taxes, just resell the car...

10. Petra

Petra Member

IRS ramifications aside, depending on the State, you'd have to be able to cover sales tax before you could title & sell it... So, like $14k up front.

11. Kbra

Kbra Member

Yeah but these are existing owners that already bought a 70k-130k car. You'd think they could swing it. Even of a temporary position. Maybe there is a clause that you cant sell the vehicle for a period of time.

I still find the lack of discussion about winning loaded cars odd.

12. Trips

Trips Member

You could be looking at $70,000 in taxes in the US. Federal: 35% of $150,000 = $52,500 + State $150,000 @ 8% = $12,000 + Registration. In some counties there is no tax where others it can be over 50%